Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Drinking age on DL-Transcon and Int'l in F/J?

Old Dec 26, 2015, 5:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Premier, Air France Silver, AAdvantage, Matmid Gold

This may sound like a kettle question, for which I apologize, but most of the flying I've done in the past years has been on AF/KL/AI/QR/IB and LY, so I'm not really all that familiar with what it's like flying on US carriers recently.

I'm one month shy of my twenty-first birthday, and am leaving on Monday for a trip to Peru in Domestic First from LAX to ATL, and J from ATL to LIM. Will I be able to have a glass of wine with dinner on the 2nd segment, for example?
I apologize if this is deemed inappropriate or off-topic.

Thanks!
Old Dec 26, 2015, 5:55 pm

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton Silver, SPG+, Hertz PC
You can always try.
On transcon, if they card you, you won't be served. On the international segment they could serve you outside US airspace, but if they card you, you won't be served.
Old Dec 26, 2015, 5:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Premier, Air France Silver, AAdvantage, Matmid Gold
Originally Posted by thesaints
You can always try.
On transcon, if they card you, you won't be served. On the international segment they could serve you outside US airspace, but if they card you, you won't be served.

Thanks for the friendly answer! I feel like such a kettle posting this question, even though I've gone about 350,000 miles in the past 4 years of college.
Old Dec 26, 2015, 6:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Before I recently turned twenty-one, I was only denied service once (on an ATL-SEA flight). Most FAs do not care, and it is unclear whether it's actually illegal to be served as an under-21 once in the air (since there is technically no federal drinking age, and the states don't have jurisdiction over national airspace).
Old Dec 26, 2015, 6:20 pm

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
From the threads I have read here on FT, all US airlines have a minimum drinking age of 21 on flights worldwide, but enforcement is hit or miss. Most likely, you'll be able to have a wine or two, but there is a possibility that they'll enforce the rules and card you.
Old Dec 26, 2015, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
I was very rarely carded before turning 21, domestic or international. Even in SkyClubs my experience was that I was carded far less than I was just served.

It's of course possible that you will be in which case you'll probably be denied. I'm not sure how old you look, chances are if you look pretty adult and not a drunken mess, you'll probably just be served without question in my experience.
Old Dec 26, 2015, 6:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The drinking age aboard a US carrier is 21. That is true no matter where in the world the aircraft is physically located at the time, including between two points which have no drinking age.

That said, I would be surprised if you are carded or denied service on either segment.

Just order and don't make a big deal of it.
Old Dec 26, 2015, 6:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
I highly doubt you will be asked for ID. Perhaps if you somehow get a SLC crew on one of the segments. Funny enough Delta inadvertently served me my first alcoholic drink. I was flying DFW-ATL and the MD-90 has a lot of wind noise at the front of the aircraft. I ordered a Fresca and somehow the flight attendant thought I said whiskey and that's what she brought me. A little stiff going down but fortunately I have a very good poker face.
Old Dec 26, 2015, 7:47 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
Funny enough Delta inadvertently served me my first alcoholic drink.

A little stiff going down but fortunately I have a very good poker face.
So, did'ja enjoy your "Fresca" enough to order another one?!?
Old Dec 26, 2015, 7:54 pm

Programs: DL DM
As others have said, the legal age is technically 21 for all DL flights, regardless of location in the world. (Reference DL.com or Sky Magazine) I too agree it's highly unlikely you would be carded, especially on the International segment.

My experience (I'm 24) over the last few years has been to be carded when in Y on a domestic flight, but never carded when in Y international, or C+ or F domestic.

Enjoy, and happy early birthday!
Old Dec 27, 2015, 1:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Dec 1972: I was riding up front on DL106, a Pan Am 747 that operated as the first half of an interchange flight ATL-IAD (it continued IAD-LHR as PA106)

ordered a gin & tonic after boarding; the FA asked if I was 21; I told her that I was a college student in New York and the drinking age in that state was 18 ... she just smiled and said "I won't tell anyone if you won't."

I finished the drink, she brought me another after takeoff, and I fell asleep shortly thereafter ... she tapped me on the shoulder as we were taxiing in and said "Sir, this is Washington."

"I won't tell anyone if you won't."
Old Dec 27, 2015, 2:17 am

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
If you are dressed correct and act like an adult, order the booze. The FA will not care. Trust me.
Old Dec 27, 2015, 4:17 am

Programs: SPG 75 Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Delta PM, AA EXP
24, but I find that Delta is the one carrier that cards me the most, but I physically get carded maybe 10% of the time, most of the time they just ask "how old are you" and leave it at that.

On the intl segment I'd be willing to bet they won't challenge you if you ask with a smile
Old Dec 27, 2015, 4:26 am

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, AA EXP, UA Silver, former DL DM
DL has been serving me alcohol on board since I was teenager. I wouldn't worry about it.
Old Dec 27, 2015, 5:23 am

Programs: DL GM, AMEX Business Platinum, AMEX Delta Reserve, DL SkyClub Member, Choice PM
Technically on all USA Carriers the legal age is 21, regardless of location in the world.

On non USA carriers ... the legal age is 18 years.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.