Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Another Slightly Unusual Upgrade Situation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Another Slightly Unusual Upgrade Situation

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2015, 9:19 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by TTT
FCM offers are not readily available to all, depending on the method of purchase.
Stop reverting to facts
Old Dec 8, 2015, 2:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by DCADeltaRoadWarrior
I was delayed out of CID this morning headed to DCA via DTW.

I missed my connecting flight in DTW and rebooked on the next flight.

On the rescheduled flight, I was put at the top of the UG list, with a Y fare listed on the rebooked itinerary. Meaning, I was 1 of 20 (I'm a PM with a DL reserve) on the list with 1 seat left in J- I ended up in 4C in PREM.

On my original flight, I was 10 of 29 on the UG list with 1 seat remaining in J.

I'm definitely not complaining, just commenting on how someone might have gotten in front of the OP.
PREM is a boarding group, not a cabin class. I think you mean that you were upgraded to FC, but seat 4C isn't FC on all aircraft types. In particular, some aircraft only have three rows of FC.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by Ryno1234
Just to be clear: this has nothing to do with entitlement or expectations. I was simply asking a question.
Look at who made that response, and his other posts. He hates it when people get free upgrades because it hurts his stock price. For some reason, he doesn't seem to mind people "buying" F for $-500.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by LBJ
I believe you can be trumped by people with IRROP's (regardless of status). Looks like the 6:30AM DAY-DTW flight was delayed by 2.5 hours. Perhaps they moved a bunch of people from that flight to the ATL flight.
They couldn't have known that "a few days before" when OP usually cleared.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ryno1234
Nice! 3.5 min is tough to beat. Before 9/11 I was based out of Lexington KY. They practically let you drive to the plane and be dropped off there.
It's a funny situation every week for me. Flying out of Dayton and then flying back out of LAX. Let's just say it's not 3.5 min at lax. I take the red eye home each week and it's hit and miss on wait times. Even in pre check
My record at LAX (many many years ago) was arriving at the terminal at 6:59 PM, for a 7:00 PM flight on which I had a reservation but hadn't yet purchased a ticket. The flight left on time. I was on it. So was my checked suitcase.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 12:07 am

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
PREM is a boarding group, not a cabin class. I think you mean that you were upgraded to FC, but seat 4C isn't FC on all aircraft types. In particular, some aircraft only have three rows of FC.
You're absolutely right I wasn't technically correct. That said, for a PM, PREM isn't attainable unless you're in first. Unless I'm missing something.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
OP: One possibility is you hit a day with a lot of Gov't travel on YCA fares. Perhaps a big travel week for something at Wright-Patt. Maybe several people from the same program office heading to a meeting or a lot of people from WP heading off to a big conference somewhere. YCA fares are in the middle between Full Y and all other fare buckets. A YCA fare won't clear until the window opens, but once the UG window opens, it is treated like a Y fare, so unless you were on a Y fare as well (or trying to use instruments), even a Silver Medallion would be ahead of you. And in my experience when I was at WP (still holds true even though I'm located elsewhere) - a lot of gov't conferences or work trips were set-up with meetings or the event on Tuesday through Thursday with Monday and Friday being the travel day so as to reduce weekend travel, especially for the DoD civilians so they wouldn't have to charge either comp time or get paid while traveling on a non-standard workday.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 8:43 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
However, many of these government fare tickets, whether they're YCA or HCA, aren't issued until the day before travel, which is when they become eligible for upgrades (not at the DM/PM or GM windows). As a result, they're likely to be at the top of the list for gate upgrades.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

However, many of these government fare tickets, whether they're YCA or HCA, aren't issued until the day before travel, which is when they become eligible for upgrades (not at the DM/PM or GM windows). As a result, they're likely to be at the top of the list for gate upgrades.
It's usually 72 hours before travel and while different from my current office as my current base more closely follows the true 72 hour mark, my experience at Wright-Patt is that the commercial travel office that handled reservations would usually ticket your flight 3 BUSINESS days before travel my current office is 72 hours usually, which if you were traveling on a Monday, meant your flight would ticket on the Wednesday before.

Also, if UG inventory is being held back to the gate (OP said in their case, they finished #6 for 0), then when any YCA fares were ticketed wouldn't matter, except as a final tie-breaker between other YCA fares.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 9:07 am

I've had bad experiences with a government agency having the tickets issued in the middle of the night on the morning of travel. There's nothing like discovering on your way to the airport that not only aren't on the upgrade list but also don't even have a ticket. OTOH, after this they have been very understanding about trying to issue the ticket before the upgrade window opens.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 9:13 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
A YCA fare won't clear until the window opens, but once the UG window opens, it is treated like a Y fare, so unless you were on a Y fare as well (or trying to use instruments), even a Silver Medallion would be ahead of you.
I've had upgrades on YCA fares clear before the window opens. The key is getting it ticketed, not just making the reservation, before the window. I think the standard for DoD travel made in DTS is ticketing 3 business days out which means for most trips the ticket is issued within the DM/PM window for the outbound but before the window for the return.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 9:13 am

Programs: Delta DM, Hilton Gold
As a point of reference, CLE has gotten just has hard. CLE-DTW last Monday, first flight of the day on the CR7, PM on a B fare, needed the BF UG to make it. Missed the upgrade on this same flight back in April as a PM.

Compare this to my CLE-JFK flight in early October, first flight of the day, only 4 of us in F on the CR9.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by mattp1987
I've had upgrades on YCA fares clear before the window opens. The key is getting it ticketed, not just making the reservation, before the window. I think the standard for DoD travel made in DTS is ticketing 3 business days out which means for most trips the ticket is issued within the DM/PM window for the outbound but before the window for the return.
YCA used to clear pretty soon (several hours or overnight) after ticketing (before the elite windows) but not instantly like FULL Y do. DL might have changed the rules since then regarding the extent to which YCA is treated almost like FULL Y.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
I sure don't miss dealing with WPAFB travel ... or, for that matter, any govt travel office
Old Dec 9, 2015, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mattp1987
Interesting. I was always led to believe that YCAs wouldn't clear until the window opened, even if ticketed in advance. I do avoid doing that in all but a couple rare cases because it does incur the extra fee, so I've only had the travel office ticket my flights more than 3 days out when I've gone on leave right before departing on TDY and I didn't want to be on leave and then show up and the airport for my TDY and find out there was an issue with my travel arrangements.

I've had bad experiences with a government agency having the tickets issued in the middle of the night on the morning of travel. There's nothing like discovering on your way to the airport that not only aren't on the upgrade list but also don't even have a ticket. OTOH, after this they have been very understanding about trying to issue the ticket before the upgrade window opens.
Well there's a couple of potential factors. For gov't travel, the travel authorization has to be approved by an approving official before it can be ticketed. No approval. No ticket and trip (and all reservations) are canceled. Could also be a back-up at the commercial travel office.
Another possibility - were you on the controlled spend account cards? I avoided the fiasco because I managed to avoid converting over to one during the short stint, but during the time when the gov't (at least the DoD) went to the Controlled Spend Account cards for travel, there were many issues with people showing up at the airport and finding out their reservations were never ticketed, among the numerous other issues that the cards had.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.