Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Another Slightly Unusual Upgrade Situation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2015, 7:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: DA Diamond(1 MM), Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador/Charter Ambassador, Hyatt Glob, Hertz Presidents Circle

Dayton, OH is my home airport. Every Monday I head to the west coast. As a Diamond, my upgrade percentage on the DAY-ATL or DAY-DTW has been 100%. Ive never not been cleared a few days before. However, today, not only did i not make it, I was # 6 with 0 left on the DAY-ATL leg.

Just curious if anyone had any idea what may have changed. Is today a crazy busy travel day that I was un aware of? Did A TON of diamonds just relocate to Dayton? Or was it just my time for my luck to run out.

Thoughts?
Old Dec 7, 2015, 8:00 am

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
Sounds like FCM has arrived at DAY.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 8:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: DA Diamond(1 MM), Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador/Charter Ambassador, Hyatt Glob, Hertz Presidents Circle
I know!! Looks like the secret is out. DAY is a great airport. I can be from the parking garage to the gate in about 10 min.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 8:07 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by Ryno1234
Dayton, OH is my home airport. Every Monday I head to the west coast. As a Diamond, my upgrade percentage on the DAY-ATL or DAY-DTW has been 100%. Ive never not been cleared a few days before. However, today, not only did i not make it, I was # 6 with 0 left on the DAY-ATL leg.

Just curious if anyone had any idea what may have changed. Is today a crazy busy travel day that I was un aware of? Did A TON of diamonds just relocate to Dayton? Or was it just my time for my luck to run out.

Thoughts?
I'm sorry you didn't get the upgrade. Clearly, DL has an expectations problem with their upper-end elite. I am glad that FCM is becoming more widespread to stop the expectation of a free upgrade. It is a clear sign that DL is getting better at developing a price at which people will bite for the upgrade. FCM offers are open to any medallion as well. I am DM and use them all the time.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I believe you can be trumped by people with IRROP's (regardless of status). Looks like the 6:30AM DAY-DTW flight was delayed by 2.5 hours. Perhaps they moved a bunch of people from that flight to the ATL flight.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 8:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bubbashow
I'm sorry you didn't get the upgrade. Clearly, DL has an expectations problem with their upper-end elite. I am glad that FCM is becoming more widespread to stop the expectation of a free upgrade. It is a clear sign that DL is getting better at developing a price at which people will bite for the upgrade. FCM offers are open to any medallion as well. I am DM and use them all the time.
Just to be clear: this has nothing to do with entitlement or expectations. I was simply asking a question.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 8:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by LBJ
I believe you can be trumped by people with IRROP's (regardless of status). Looks like the 6:30AM DAY-DTW flight was delayed by 2.5 hours. Perhaps they moved a bunch of people from that flight to the ATL flight.
If people from the earlier flight had paid FC tickets or upgrades confirmed with instruments, they should have been confirmed directly in FC or, if seats weren't available, put at the top of the upgrade list.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 8:15 am

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LTT, HH Diam, UA Silver, USAF million miler ;)
My guess is some meeting of big-wigs, and they bought it up.

[added] It was clear to me you weren't expressing entitlement. Some folks need to chill.

[added] It is a smooth airport, but PHF has you beat - 3.5 minutes car to gate on most days.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 8:17 am

Programs: AA Pl, KL Platinum for Life
Just to be clear: this has nothing to do with entitlement or expectations. I was simply asking a question.
I thought that Bubba guy was pretty glib in his response. Not sure why he responded at all except to see himself speaking authoritatively.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 8:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by orca15
My guess is some meeting of big-wigs, and they bought it up.

[added] It was clear to me you weren't expressing entitlement. Some folks need to chill.

[added] It is a smooth airport, but PHF has you beat - 3.5 minutes car to gate on most days.
Nice! 3.5 min is tough to beat. Before 9/11 I was based out of Lexington KY. They practically let you drive to the plane and be dropped off there.
It's a funny situation every week for me. Flying out of Dayton and then flying back out of LAX. Let's just say it's not 3.5 min at lax. I take the red eye home each week and it's hit and miss on wait times. Even in pre check
Old Dec 7, 2015, 8:40 am

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
Originally Posted by Lakeviewsteve
I thought that Bubba guy was pretty glib in his response. Not sure why he responded at all except to see himself speaking authoritatively.
Ding ding ding, we have a winner....
Old Dec 7, 2015, 8:40 am

Programs: DL PM, Natl-Exec Elite, Hertz-President Circle, Marriot/Starwood-Gold, HHonors-Gold
A little harsh don't ya think ! Clearly, the OP was just asking a question.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 9:08 am

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LTT, HH Diam, UA Silver, USAF million miler ;)
Nice! 3.5 min is tough to beat. Before 9/11 I was based out of Lexington KY. They practically let you drive to the plane and be dropped off there.
It's a funny situation every week for me. Flying out of Dayton and then flying back out of LAX. Let's just say it's not 3.5 min at lax. I take the red eye home each week and it's hit and miss on wait times. Even in pre check
Not to hijack your thread any more, but...
Here's a picture of PHF. Parking garage near the top, then 600 feet car-to-TSA, no line, then 600 feet to the gate on the far right.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 9:10 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Strangely enough, I'm gonna stick up for Bubba this time.

Please re-read his reply.

Bubba made NO MENTION that the OP had ANY sense of entitlement, only an expectation of an UG, which we all have at times, and is clearly not a DYKWIA mindset!
Old Dec 7, 2015, 9:23 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
FCM offers are open to any medallion as well. I am DM and use them all the time.
FCM offers are not readily available to all, depending on the method of purchase.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.