Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta about to get 49% of AeroMexico

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2015, 11:11 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
This could be interesting. I've seen some trip reports of decent service in business-class and reasonable airfares. I wouldn't be opposed to flying to Mexico City and then to London if the airfare was good and I received full miles. However, I think I saw that Aeromexico's new 787 business-class is two across, which is a no-go for me.
Classic trip report from the F/J sale earlier in the year:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...o-mex-eze.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...e-mex-sfo.html
Old Dec 4, 2015, 6:55 am

Programs: DM/3MM
I think this is a smart move on DL's part, and good monopolist long term thinking. I find AM and DL fairly similar in many ways. DL is trying to lock up the Mexican market now. Mexico has a large population, its middle class is growing, and the country is slowly becoming a far more developed place (recent hiccups aside). Things could go wrong, but it's on an upward trajectory, and could be a very lucrative market.

And for those who don't think leisure travel from the US to Mexico is profitable, at a minimum I'd point out the large amount of destinations that DL serves out of Cancun. While there is some convention traffic, it is mostly leisure. And DL keeps adding flights.
Old Dec 6, 2015, 7:16 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler
I think this is a smart move on DL's part, and good monopolist long term thinking. I find AM and DL fairly similar in many ways. DL is trying to lock up the Mexican market now. Mexico has a large population, its middle class is growing, and the country is slowly becoming a far more developed place (recent hiccups aside). Things could go wrong, but it's on an upward trajectory, and could be a very lucrative market.

And for those who don't think leisure travel from the US to Mexico is profitable, at a minimum I'd point out the large amount of destinations that DL serves out of Cancun. While there is some convention traffic, it is mostly leisure. And DL keeps adding flights.
And Mexico is much more stable, politically and economically, than some of those South American countries. NAFTA has done a lot to stabilize Mexico.
Old Dec 6, 2015, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler
DL is trying to lock up the Mexican market now. Mexico has a large population, its middle class is growing, and the country is slowly becoming a far more developed place (recent hiccups aside). Things could go wrong, but it's on an upward trajectory, and could be a very lucrative market.
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
And Mexico is much more stable, politically and economically, than some of those South American countries. NAFTA has done a lot to stabilize Mexico.
I couldn't agree more. It is something far under-appreciated in the US, and generally entirely obvious to anyone who has spent any time at all in Mexico over the last 10-15 years.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.