Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Delta Schedule Change Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 10, 2016, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Delta rolls out schedule changes pretty much every Saturday, though the scope/impact can vary. During this time, seat maps may be locked out, may show the wrong aircraft layout, etc. while changes are occurring. If you are not traveling immediately, FT conventional wisdom is to wait until Sunday (or even Monday in the case of major schedule adjustments where things take longer) for things to settle down, then take stock of your upcoming itineraries to see what changes have occurred and what changes/refunds you may be entitled to.

You are entitled to a full refund to original form of payment, even for a ticket that was purchased as a non-refundable ticket, if any of the following occur as a result of schedule change:
  • departure or arrival delay of 2hrs or more
  • increase in the number of flight segments (non-stop to connecting, 1-stop to 2-stop, etc.)
  • change resulting in a connection below the Minimum Connection Time for a given airport (do a Google search for "site:flyertalk.com minimum connecting time XXX" with the airport code to find the relevant thread if one exists)
  • any change in operating carrier, i.e. operated by Delta mainline before the schedule change and Delta Connection after the change
    • it is also a commonly-held belief that a change from Delta Connection to mainline, or from one Delta Connection carrier to a different Delta Connection carrier, also qualifies for a full refund -- if anyone has documentation of this, a link would be great...

The airline would rather keep your money than refund it, so they will frequently accept any vaguely reasonable rerouting that you propose. This includes, by policy, changing origin and/or destination within 100 miles, rebooking +/- two days, and changing outbound/return date to keep the length of the trip the same post-rebooking.

If none of the above conditions for a refund is true, you may still be entitled to a free change -- in your trip summary there will be a notice about changes/refunds, and per the "conditions apply" popup link in that text:

If a Delta schedule or routing change has delayed your departure or arrival by more than one hour, you may be eligible to select an alternate flight at no additional charge. Note that the below conditions may apply:
  • Your origin, destination and travel date must remain the same
  • Alternate flights must be available, and you can only modify once as subsequent changes may result in additional fees
  • Voluntary changes to other flights not impacted by a Delta schedule change may result in additional fees
If possible, you may wish to try modifying your flights online first -- there have been data points where the site allowed a free rebooking even though it did not technically fall into the above categories. NOTE however that self-rebooking online is known not to work if you have (1) any trip involving upgrade certificates (whether cleared or not), (2) if you have self-upgraded by picking an upgraded seat that said FREE (instead of waiting for the automated upgrade system sweep to reseat you in an upgraded seat), this seems to inhibit self-rebooking as well.

Otherwise, suggested best practice is to research your preferred alternative rebooking beforehand (whether DL flight search, Google Flights, ITA Matrix etc.) so that you can speak with an agent already knowing what you want, and ask for it; this will be much more efficient than having an agent find alternatives for you.

Other notes/FAQs:
  • Even if you voluntarily choose a preferred rebooking, you have a high likelihood of success claiming Original Routing Credit since the original reason for the change was involuntary.
  • If you booked through a travel agency, including online travel agencies (OTA) such as Expedia, Chase Ultimate Rewards, etc. you will have to contact them, not Delta, to request rerouting if the automatic rebooking is not satisfactory to you.
    • There have been reports of an agency insisting that a change of 2 hours was required (per the "pro" site) for a free change, even though the popup on the DL site says 1 hour
    • You can sometimes get Delta to take over a travel agency ticket; this is subject to a $50 fee to take over the ticket, although sometimes agents decline to collect it
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Delta Schedule Change Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2022, 10:48 am

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
I just checked and found changes to 5 international trips (LHR, ATH, WAS, FRA, ICN). They are still move things around as I have lost an entire segment, changed a 3 hour connection to 14 hours, while keeping a 16 minute connection in ATL on a different ticket.

Edited: I just checked again and things are even worse with two more lost sigments and disconnects.

Last edited by Xeno; Feb 12, 2022 at 12:58 pm
Old Feb 25, 2022, 7:36 am

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Billy Mumphrey
Trip is this coming week. Full itinerary was DCA-SLC-SUN and SUN-SLC-IAD. The schedule change impacted the return portion only, changed to SUN-SLC-DTW-IAD leaving at 7:30am. I called back a second time today and the agent gave me the same pushback as yesterday. When I asked to speak to a supervisor the original agent came back on the line and said the supervisor had approved the change I requested, so they moved me to SUN-SLC-ATL-DCA leaving at 1:10pm. The first leg SUN-SLC that is sold out in Y was rebooked in F. Not ideal to have a double connection, but I'm only leaving 2 hours earlier than planned and I can now park my car at the airport at least (since I'm both in and out of DCA).

I noticed the SLC-ATL-DCA segments are now rebooked in the Y fare class. Usually I maintain my original fare class in these rebooking situations (T in this case). Even though both flights look fairly full, I assume I will be near the top of the upgrade list as a DM on a Y fare?
Just to update on this. I was upgraded on both SLC-ATL and ATL-DCA at the gates. I was #1 out of 85 for 1 seat on SLC-ATL and #1 out of 32 for 2 seats on ATL-DCA. It seems the Y fare class they used to rebook me worked in my favor.
Old Feb 25, 2022, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by Billy Mumphrey
Just to update on this. I was upgraded on both SLC-ATL and ATL-DCA at the gates. I was #1 out of 85 for 1 seat on SLC-ATL and #1 out of 32 for 2 seats on ATL-DCA. It seems the Y fare class they used to rebook me worked in my favor.
This has happened to me and I got more MQMs than I deserved.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 10:40 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Global Entry
HNL-ATL in May switched back to an A330.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
This has happened to me and I got more MQMs than I deserved.
How long ago? Nowadays in general DL goes by the ticket. Unless ticket was reissued (doesn't have to be, can simply revalidate) it'll earn on what booked. If they reissued ticket to Y then you'll likely get.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
How long ago? Nowadays in general DL goes by the ticket. Unless ticket was reissued (doesn't have to be, can simply revalidate) it'll earn on what booked. If they reissued ticket to Y then you'll likely get.
A few VDBs I did ticket was reissued into Y.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
A few VDBs I did ticket was reissued into Y.
Yes it still happens. However most times they simply revalidate the current ticket.
Old Feb 27, 2022, 3:28 pm

Just received schedule change for SEA-JFK-DCA in mid-April where SEA-JFK is downgraded from D1 on 752 to F on 738. It appears there are no D1 out of Seattle at that time. I specifically chose this routing for D1 and paid the premium for it. Will I be accommodated on the following alternatives? 1. SEA-LAX (overnight) LAX-DCA on 752 D1 2. SEA-LAX-JFK (D1)-DCA

Thanks

Last edited by flytoeat; Feb 27, 2022 at 3:38 pm
Old Feb 27, 2022, 10:27 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
If you have an actual D1 fare (booked as D1 and not First), just call and ask to be rerouted. In most cases they will let you pick how you want to be routed as long as it's reasonable. It would be quicker if you look at the flights you want ahead of time and give them to the agent.
Old Feb 28, 2022, 10:16 pm

Programs: Former DL DM and UA 1k, now a J class free agent (UA Gold, AS MVP Gold)
Originally Posted by SEA-Flyer
Schedule change happened on the evening flight for JFK-SEA, now it looks like offering Delta One on both the first and last flight of the day. App/Website wanted to charge me $9650 to switch to it. Called in, told agent I was original booked in Delta One before getting downgraded to First. He put me on hold and got me switched to the evening Delta One flight. Result is 3 additional hours of vacation in New York, and then still getting to return in Delta One.
Originally Posted by flytoeat
Just received schedule change for SEA-JFK-DCA in mid-April where SEA-JFK is downgraded from D1 on 752 to F on 738. It appears there are no D1 out of Seattle at that time. I specifically chose this routing for D1 and paid the premium for it. Will I be accommodated on the following alternatives? 1. SEA-LAX (overnight) LAX-DCA on 752 D1 2. SEA-LAX-JFK (D1)-DCA

Thanks
Ugh. Got burned by this again. Now no Delta One offering between JFK and SEA. Re-route options aren't looking great either.
Old Feb 28, 2022, 11:07 pm

Quick question:
If your hit by a Schedule change (originally OAK-DTW-BUF) and now its OAK-LAX-DTW-BUF (with almost 5 hours sitting in LAX)
What are rules or guidelines regarding departing out of a "close airport" such as SFO (so it would be SFO-DTW-BUF). Same general time as was before.

Also to make this more troublesome, the flights were booked with Chase Travel and then Upgrade Certificates applied (5 pax), round trip (10 certificates)

This does not look like its going go well, even calling the DM line.
Old Mar 1, 2022, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Yeah, each of those things taken alone could probably be accomplished as a DM asking nicely. All together... good luck!

I believe there is no rule permitting a change of origin for something like that, but it seems a reasonable request. Unfortunately, you also have to beg them to take over the agency ticket, and then your five upgrades
rizrizriz likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2022, 5:14 pm

I have a well-priced JFK-LAX-SAL award booked for later this month that had a schedule change resulting in a ≈23 hour delay (original connection was approx 1 hour, and now it's 24 hours). JFK-LAX is D1 and LAX-SAL is First.

I'm not able to begin the journey any earlier to avoid the 24 hour connection in LAX, and I don't really want to spend the day there. What I'd really prefer to do is defer the trip (using the same ticket) to a date later this year. Do I have any possibility of an agent allowing an even exchange (same routing, same price, same class of service) or should I plan to cancel and redeposit?
Old Mar 1, 2022, 5:19 pm

Yep, your correct findark The best I finally got after calls and also a chat was during chat at least they would agree to make a change. First call and chat all I got was once they looked was "talk to Chase and cancel your flight if you like" (course that would also walk away from 10 RUC's) First chat did start off by saying Oh I see you have a change in flights and they are several hour changes, you can make changes up to 2 days earlier or 2 days later. But then when looking more, they pulled out the "you got these from an agency" card and thus told me to essentially pound sand.

Continued on chat bit later and they said could change, but then first level support had issues with changing (though they didn't say I am 99.99999% sure due to the RUC's of course) So he did say needed to escalate it to his ticketing team. Which sounded good. At first once that team was looking at, and the chat history, they said change is almost done. And they did the PNR that was for party of 2, which was purchased directly from Delta (and bought as First) And then worked on the other PNRs that were for 5. When said was done, I said didnt see a difference, told me had to logout (and by then I also got the email confirmation) and I saw it was the same as what was given in the notification email already. I realized (as did the ticket agent) that what he did was to actually re-ticket the changes (that was not yet re-ticketed, just notification, as they many times take bit of time to "catch up I have seen before)
Anyway I told him that I didn't see a differnce and he agreed, said let me review again......and came back after a while said he was working on it.

The best they could do (which is what I finally was agreeing to anyway) was still be 2 stops (vs the 1 stop in DTW before). But not the red eye we originally were ok with, to a 1000 departure out of OAK, to SLC to MSP and BUF. (BUF-DTW-SLC-OAK on return) No one was budging on the just change it from OAK to SFO request I made (It seems that is a bridge too far) even when I had said to them before I have had that sort of accommodation between LGA and JFK. Still sux's considering of the group of 7, 4 are 76-82 and 1 is 5yrs old! That many connections both ways....is just asking for trouble to keep the 7 of us together (fingers crossed!) Joy.

So in the end did get them
strickerj likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2022, 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by slice
I have a well-priced JFK-LAX-SAL award booked for later this month that had a schedule change resulting in a ≈23 hour delay (original connection was approx 1 hour, and now it's 24 hours). .......
I had about a 5+ hour change in recent flight, heard several different things in chat, but at least one Rep did state the following:
I had said "...Pretty significant change. Resulting in departure several hours earlier. With an additional connection. So it’s reflected now as ....."

Delta Chat Rep replied with "Yes, since your flight was affected by an schedule changes, you can have your flight rescheduled within 2 days earlier or 2 days later on your original flight date with free of cost."
YMMV of course it seems. This was before later said, oh your tickets were purchased via Chase, and never brought up that "2 Day" bit again.
Not saying you can or can't, just sharing what was stated in chat

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.