Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Delta Schedule Change Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 10, 2016, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Delta rolls out schedule changes pretty much every Saturday, though the scope/impact can vary. During this time, seat maps may be locked out, may show the wrong aircraft layout, etc. while changes are occurring. If you are not traveling immediately, FT conventional wisdom is to wait until Sunday (or even Monday in the case of major schedule adjustments where things take longer) for things to settle down, then take stock of your upcoming itineraries to see what changes have occurred and what changes/refunds you may be entitled to.

You are entitled to a full refund to original form of payment, even for a ticket that was purchased as a non-refundable ticket, if any of the following occur as a result of schedule change:
  • departure or arrival delay of 2hrs or more
  • increase in the number of flight segments (non-stop to connecting, 1-stop to 2-stop, etc.)
  • change resulting in a connection below the Minimum Connection Time for a given airport (do a Google search for "site:flyertalk.com minimum connecting time XXX" with the airport code to find the relevant thread if one exists)
  • any change in operating carrier, i.e. operated by Delta mainline before the schedule change and Delta Connection after the change
    • it is also a commonly-held belief that a change from Delta Connection to mainline, or from one Delta Connection carrier to a different Delta Connection carrier, also qualifies for a full refund -- if anyone has documentation of this, a link would be great...

The airline would rather keep your money than refund it, so they will frequently accept any vaguely reasonable rerouting that you propose. This includes, by policy, changing origin and/or destination within 100 miles, rebooking +/- two days, and changing outbound/return date to keep the length of the trip the same post-rebooking.

If none of the above conditions for a refund is true, you may still be entitled to a free change -- in your trip summary there will be a notice about changes/refunds, and per the "conditions apply" popup link in that text:

If a Delta schedule or routing change has delayed your departure or arrival by more than one hour, you may be eligible to select an alternate flight at no additional charge. Note that the below conditions may apply:
  • Your origin, destination and travel date must remain the same
  • Alternate flights must be available, and you can only modify once as subsequent changes may result in additional fees
  • Voluntary changes to other flights not impacted by a Delta schedule change may result in additional fees
If possible, you may wish to try modifying your flights online first -- there have been data points where the site allowed a free rebooking even though it did not technically fall into the above categories. NOTE however that self-rebooking online is known not to work if you have (1) any trip involving upgrade certificates (whether cleared or not), (2) if you have self-upgraded by picking an upgraded seat that said FREE (instead of waiting for the automated upgrade system sweep to reseat you in an upgraded seat), this seems to inhibit self-rebooking as well.

Otherwise, suggested best practice is to research your preferred alternative rebooking beforehand (whether DL flight search, Google Flights, ITA Matrix etc.) so that you can speak with an agent already knowing what you want, and ask for it; this will be much more efficient than having an agent find alternatives for you.

Other notes/FAQs:
  • Even if you voluntarily choose a preferred rebooking, you have a high likelihood of success claiming Original Routing Credit since the original reason for the change was involuntary.
  • If you booked through a travel agency, including online travel agencies (OTA) such as Expedia, Chase Ultimate Rewards, etc. you will have to contact them, not Delta, to request rerouting if the automatic rebooking is not satisfactory to you.
    • There have been reports of an agency insisting that a change of 2 hours was required (per the "pro" site) for a free change, even though the popup on the DL site says 1 hour
    • You can sometimes get Delta to take over a travel agency ticket; this is subject to a $50 fee to take over the ticket, although sometimes agents decline to collect it
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Delta Schedule Change Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2021, 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by Adam1222
Last year, Delta updated the policy to require a 120 minute delay for tickets subject to the domestic contracts of carriage.

If I understand correctly:
-your ATL-CUN leg of OMA-ATL-CUN, was moved one hour later, you want to rebook to a routing earlier in the day, you booked with a TA, and the TA says the 120 minute rule for domestic departures bars any free change.
While you might have been able to get a DL agent to make this change on a direct DL-issued ticket, it is unlikely DL will make the adjustment to a TA-booked ticket.
Ahh hah. That distinction is helpful. I guess I may have missed that somewhere along the way. Thank you for this clarification. It helps me understand better.
Old May 21, 2021, 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by spongenotbob
Based on my experiences with Delta, your travel agent is wrong.

Option A) Force the TA to do their job and call Delta and get the flights you want.

Option B) Have you tried just going to delta.com -- enter your PNR and last name and pull up the record. If it still has the big red notice about a schedule change and "acknowledge", then go ahead and "acknowledge" it, click on "modify flights" and see what it gives you for the same price. You may be pleasantly surprised. Ignore the "0 available at this price" - if it's listed, it's available.

Option C) You can ask Delta to "take over" the reservation from the agent. They usually charge ~$50/ticket to do this so it's not ideal.. Maybe you can explain to Delta that your TA is refusing to work with you and maybe they will waive that fee?

Good luck!
Opt A: I’ve been pretty persistent, but haven’t gotten her to budge.

Opt B: I do have the notice and modify flight option for our PNRs, but it doesn’t allow me to change online. I’m guessing because of the 3rd party option.

Opt C: I’m tempted, just wasn’t sure that’s possible. I’ve seen it mentioned on here but no one ever saying they’ve tried and done so successfully. I do worry if I go that route the TA may void our price match for the resort which was a $1000 difference because I’m modifying the itinerary.
Old May 22, 2021, 9:24 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Some changes for me today on DCA-JFK and vv for July and September
Old May 22, 2021, 2:47 pm

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
More widebodies from JFK out West for July

Some changes with today's schedule changes for July:

Daily flights:
JFK-LAS: 1x 764; 1x 763ER; 1x 739
JFK-PHX: 1x 764; 1x 739
JFK-DEN: 1x 764
JFK-SAN: 1x 764; 1x 75S
JFK-SFO: 1x 763ER; 4x 75S
JFK-SEA: 1x 763ER; 3x 739
JFK-LAX: 4x 764; 4x 763ER
strickerj likes this.
Old May 22, 2021, 3:23 pm

Programs: DL DM 3MM 360
Looks like MAD ATL just went to not daily in Sept.
Old May 22, 2021, 3:55 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by mot29
Where do you sit on the optimist/pessimist scale? I tend to expect the lesser and be happily surprised by the greater. Like an op/up on an international flight to Asia.
I'm happy now, as my flight switched from the A333 to the A339. Now I just wish I had a seat staggered by the window, as they kept me in 3J which is staggered towards the isle. Only other 2 seats available are 1A and 7J, both staggered towards the window, but both next to the lavs. I'm contemplating the move to 1A, as the lav looks to be a good distance away, unlike 7J. Hmmmm...
Old May 22, 2021, 4:02 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by bsagator
I'm happy now, as my flight switched from the A333 to the A339. Now I just wish I had a seat staggered by the window, as they kept me in 3J which is staggered towards the isle. Only other 2 seats available are 1A and 7J, both staggered towards the window, but both next to the lavs. I'm contemplating the move to 1A, as the lav looks to be a good distance away, unlike 7J. Hmmmm...
Don't even worry about it. Lots of people made bookings long ago and were rescheduled onto that flight when countless other TATL flights were cancelled. Many of them probably don't even know they're on that flight yet. Many of them will end up cancelling or rescheduling. If you keep an eye on it, I have no doubt a window-side seat will open up (I think you can setup an alert in expertflyer to keep an eye on it too)
Old May 22, 2021, 4:26 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by kjnangre
Don't even worry about it. Lots of people made bookings long ago and were rescheduled onto that flight when countless other TATL flights were cancelled. Many of them probably don't even know they're on that flight yet. Many of them will end up cancelling or rescheduling. If you keep an eye on it, I have no doubt a window-side seat will open up (I think you can setup an alert in expertflyer to keep an eye on it too)
D1 was pretty full prior to the schedule change, as I think a number of people took advantage of the $2100 D1 fares to Europe from the west coast. I'm going to set up an expertflyer alert as soon as someone tells me 1A is a bad seat on the A339.
Old May 22, 2021, 4:59 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by ClipperDelta

Daily flights:
about time we got a wide body back on this route!
Old May 22, 2021, 6:45 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by ClipperDelta

Daily flights:
Fascinating that even with all the widebody slack causing LAS, DEN, SAN, PHX to get widebodies, JFK-SEA is *still* mostly 739. (I guess, to be fair, most Asia flight aren't operating but still. Hub-to-hub transcon and it's still stuck on 739s)
cmd320 likes this.
Old May 22, 2021, 7:23 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ty97
Fascinating that even with all the widebody slack causing LAS, DEN, SAN, PHX to get widebodies, JFK-SEA is *still* mostly 739. (I guess, to be fair, most Asia flight aren't operating but still. Hub-to-hub transcon and it's still stuck on 739s)
With TPAC shut down, there are very few city pairs JFK-XXX where SEA makes sense as a connection. Especially now that DL has direct flights to Alaska from most of its hubs. I wouldn't expect much widebodies anytime soon.
Old May 22, 2021, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by bsagator
The lav is indeed a bit away in the cockpit area on A330. This way they can simply close a door and have access to restroom without need of carts.
Old May 27, 2021, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by EMKern
Opt A: I’ve been pretty persistent, but haven’t gotten her to budge.

Opt B: I do have the notice and modify flight option for our PNRs, but it doesn’t allow me to change online. I’m guessing because of the 3rd party option.

Opt C: I’m tempted, just wasn’t sure that’s possible. I’ve seen it mentioned on here but no one ever saying they’ve tried and done so successfully. I do worry if I go that route the TA may void our price match for the resort which was a $1000 difference because I’m modifying the itinerary.
In case this can be helpful to anyone, I wanted to provide an update on this situation. I persisted with my TA and she continued to tell me it wasn't possible. I called DL and got a great agent. She said she would have gladly made the change for me if it was even just a 30 minute change, but she couldn't touch the reservation since it was booked via a TA. I asked about transferring control of the reservation to DL and she indicated that wasn't possible and would need to originate on the TA side. I asked and she was very clear I met all of the requirements to change the flights and she would have if it wasn't for the TA booking. I went back to my TA and pleaded my case, and she told me no it's not possible. She elevated it, and I went back and forth with another person in her agency, again being told it wasn't possible. The TA said he would ask DL to pull the call to listen to what I was told, and then give my request consideration. When I provided the date stamp of the call the TA gave me some line of BS that it wasn't possible. I then asked the TA to push my reservation to DL so I could make the change myself. The TA told me that's not a thing and not even possible, which I don't believe. I figured if the TA was going to play this game I would call DL back and record the call if necessary to verify someone from DL was telling me I could make the change. I called DL, waited 3 hours on hold, and got another lovely agent. She didn't even mention anything about my reservation being a TA booking. I told her my situation, and provided the flights I wanted to change my reservation to. I kept waiting for her to say ohh I can't do anything because it was booked via a TA, but those words never came. She said yup I'll get it taken care of. There was some issue because I had upgraded one segment of our flight to first class, but she reached out to a supervisor who manually re-did the booking so that we could stay in first class. She confirmed our seats, and waited on the phone until I received the email and verified all the details were correct. For her kindness I gave her a five star review. Not really sure what made this possible, but I got what I wanted with some persistence and the great method of HUACA. Hoping maybe someone in a similar situation can find some value in this. Now I'm just questioning how snarky I should be with my TA when I tell her I managed to get the reservation changed, no thanks to her.
Spiff, Keyser, strickerj and 1 others like this.
Old May 27, 2021, 7:01 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by serpens
[...] I'll be patient. [...]
Today I received email from Delta saying my refund has been processed, but warning it has not yet been pushed the the card issuer (which is usually done within one business day) and that it can take the card issuer two billing cycles to show the refund.
Old May 29, 2021, 9:18 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Looks like Schedule Change Saturday doesn't take holiday weekends off. Three of my four July trips were changed this morning.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.