Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Delta Schedule Change Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 10, 2016, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Delta rolls out schedule changes pretty much every Saturday, though the scope/impact can vary. During this time, seat maps may be locked out, may show the wrong aircraft layout, etc. while changes are occurring. If you are not traveling immediately, FT conventional wisdom is to wait until Sunday (or even Monday in the case of major schedule adjustments where things take longer) for things to settle down, then take stock of your upcoming itineraries to see what changes have occurred and what changes/refunds you may be entitled to.

You are entitled to a full refund to original form of payment, even for a ticket that was purchased as a non-refundable ticket, if any of the following occur as a result of schedule change:
  • departure or arrival delay of 2hrs or more
  • increase in the number of flight segments (non-stop to connecting, 1-stop to 2-stop, etc.)
  • change resulting in a connection below the Minimum Connection Time for a given airport (do a Google search for "site:flyertalk.com minimum connecting time XXX" with the airport code to find the relevant thread if one exists)
  • any change in operating carrier, i.e. operated by Delta mainline before the schedule change and Delta Connection after the change
    • it is also a commonly-held belief that a change from Delta Connection to mainline, or from one Delta Connection carrier to a different Delta Connection carrier, also qualifies for a full refund -- if anyone has documentation of this, a link would be great...

The airline would rather keep your money than refund it, so they will frequently accept any vaguely reasonable rerouting that you propose. This includes, by policy, changing origin and/or destination within 100 miles, rebooking +/- two days, and changing outbound/return date to keep the length of the trip the same post-rebooking.

If none of the above conditions for a refund is true, you may still be entitled to a free change -- in your trip summary there will be a notice about changes/refunds, and per the "conditions apply" popup link in that text:

If a Delta schedule or routing change has delayed your departure or arrival by more than one hour, you may be eligible to select an alternate flight at no additional charge. Note that the below conditions may apply:
  • Your origin, destination and travel date must remain the same
  • Alternate flights must be available, and you can only modify once as subsequent changes may result in additional fees
  • Voluntary changes to other flights not impacted by a Delta schedule change may result in additional fees
If possible, you may wish to try modifying your flights online first -- there have been data points where the site allowed a free rebooking even though it did not technically fall into the above categories. NOTE however that self-rebooking online is known not to work if you have (1) any trip involving upgrade certificates (whether cleared or not), (2) if you have self-upgraded by picking an upgraded seat that said FREE (instead of waiting for the automated upgrade system sweep to reseat you in an upgraded seat), this seems to inhibit self-rebooking as well.

Otherwise, suggested best practice is to research your preferred alternative rebooking beforehand (whether DL flight search, Google Flights, ITA Matrix etc.) so that you can speak with an agent already knowing what you want, and ask for it; this will be much more efficient than having an agent find alternatives for you.

Other notes/FAQs:
  • Even if you voluntarily choose a preferred rebooking, you have a high likelihood of success claiming Original Routing Credit since the original reason for the change was involuntary.
  • If you booked through a travel agency, including online travel agencies (OTA) such as Expedia, Chase Ultimate Rewards, etc. you will have to contact them, not Delta, to request rerouting if the automatic rebooking is not satisfactory to you.
    • There have been reports of an agency insisting that a change of 2 hours was required (per the "pro" site) for a free change, even though the popup on the DL site says 1 hour
    • You can sometimes get Delta to take over a travel agency ticket; this is subject to a $50 fee to take over the ticket, although sometimes agents decline to collect it
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Delta Schedule Change Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2021, 9:48 am

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by CaptainBiscoff
I checked this AM and our summer trip reservation itinerary in late May was obliterated. It doesn’t even show an aircraft on either segment for the round trip and I can’t select seats (obviously).
The lack of aircraft means they are still processing. It will probably take a while before all of the changes are sorted. I'd check back (much) later today or even tomorrow.
Old Mar 20, 2021, 9:58 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Adam1222
As the situation in Europe continues to worsen, and less than a quarter of Americans are vaccinated, I think it's best to assume that travel will continue to be disrupted for the next several months. It probably is best to consider any reservations two months out as tentative.
I’m disappointed too see most widebodies that scheduled on domestic flights in March/April were not extended into to May. MCO-ATL has several widebodies in April and 753s in April, but May appears to go back to all 752s and even some 739s. Seems weird why they are downgrading their capacity in May (inventory caps are still showing in May) especially when several Europe re-starts have been pushed back so it’s not like they need the widebodies elsewhere.
Old Mar 20, 2021, 9:59 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
My flight returns on June 4th, so at least I have more certainty on what equipment/schedule I can expect, but it certainly messed up my reservation. I just spoke to Delta and they said this was a major schedule change (as we all expected), and their call volume will be significant today - as a heads up for everyone.
I had to call for something else and it was a 14 minute wait on the gold line. For my one schedule change, I was able to select an alternative routing easily online. As repeatedly stated in this thread, new flights/rebookings don't happen automatically at the same time flights are canceled. If you are not traveling for two months, if there is a long wait, you can wait until Monday and I'm pretty sure you will be fine.

Also, I hate to break it to you, but you don't have more certainty about June 4. Today's schedule updates went to June 4. That doesn't mean there is any certainty about flights more than two months from now and you are setting yourself up for disappointment if you think there is.
Old Mar 20, 2021, 10:01 am

Programs: Delta
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
I’m disappointed too see most widebodies that scheduled on domestic flights in March/April were not extended into to May. MCO-ATL has several widebodies in April and 753s in April, but May appears to go back to all 752s and even some 739s. Seems weird why they are downgrading their capacity in May (inventory caps are still showing in May) especially when several Europe re-starts have been pushed back so it’s not like they need the widebodies elsewhere.
Agreed. Our outbound flight was supposed to be a 757. Went to a 738. Our return was supposed to be on a 767-3 and switched to an A321. The re-schedule we requested for very early June (before schedule change cut-off) has a 767-3, and I am crossing my fingers hard that it does not change. No telling at this point.
Old Mar 20, 2021, 10:03 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
​​​​​Maybe they do. There are plenty of domestic flights they could have decided to use those planes on, particularly if they have less need to feed international travel into Orlando. Note they have launched a number of new routes, and schedules changed across the network.
Old Mar 20, 2021, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by Adam1222
I had to call for something else and it was a 14 minute wait on the gold line. For my one schedule change, I was able to select an alternative routing easily online. As repeatedly stated in this thread, new flights/rebookings don't happen automatically at the same time flights are canceled. If you are not traveling for two months, if there is a long wait, you can wait until Monday and I'm pretty sure you will be fine.

Also, I hate to break it to you, but you don't have more certainty about June 4. Today's schedule updates went to June 4. That doesn't mean there is any certainty about flights more than two months from now and you are setting yourself up for disappointment if you think there is.
I am certainly going to check again tomorrow/Monday. Good points.

No worries about being setup for my disappointment; Delta earned it a while back, but I am getting a steal on my flight with my companion pass, so at the end of the day - I'm getting to my destination in first class, and I am incredibly fortunate for that. It would be cool to be on a wide-body, but as you pointed out, there's no certainty and it should not be expected this far out.
Old Mar 20, 2021, 10:09 am

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Agreed. Our outbound flight was supposed to be a 757. Went to a 738.
I am wondering if DL is letting middle seat blocking expire on 4/30. There's been no announcement about extending it and the extension to 4/30 was announced around 2/8. If they do let it expire, that 738 without seat blocking is higher capacity than a 757 with seat blocking. Of course, I'd still prefer a 757 too.
CaptainBiscoff likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2021, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would check back tomorrow as I think it's pretty clear they haven't finished loading the schedule yet. For example, I'm seeing flights in May on DTW-LAX which are completely zeroed-out in coach on pretty much every day. It's safe to say those flights aren't all actually full in coach and they are still in the process of removing them from the schedule. Although, it wouldn't be terribly surprising they would have less capacity on MCO-ATL in May than in April given that springbreakers would be done by then. They actually start tapering back on the widebodies in mid-April. There are 5 widebody flights on April 11th, but only 2 on April 18th.

Last edited by xliioper; Mar 20, 2021 at 10:29 am
Old Mar 20, 2021, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by ty97
I am wondering if DL is letting middle seat blocking expire on 4/30. There's been no announcement about extending it and the extension to 4/30 was announced around 2/8. If they do let it expire, that 738 without seat blocking is higher capacity than a 757 with seat blocking. Of course, I'd still prefer a 757 too.
My fouled logic was that they'd keep the 757, lift the seat cap, and the widebody would give people the feeling they are been given more space versus being crammed into a sold out 738. But, again, that was my fouled logic. Not elated about being in a 738 for a five hours (especially with those micro-ancient TV screens), but at this point I'm just crying wolf.
Old Mar 20, 2021, 10:20 am

My fouled logic was that they'd keep the 757, lift the seat cap, and the widebody would give people the feeling they are been given more space versus being crammed into a sold out 738. But, again, that was my fouled logic. Not elated about being in a 738 for a five hours (especially with those micro-ancient TV screens), but at this point I'm just crying wolf.
The inventory caps are still showing as active through 5/26/2021. All caps are set to go away 5/27/2021 just before Memorial Day.
Old Mar 20, 2021, 10:23 am

The inventory caps are still showing as active through 5/26/2021. All caps are set to go away 5/27/2021 just before Memorial Day.
Yep. When I spoke with the representative today asking them about if the cap was going to extend, they backtracked on their answer making me think internal buzz is confirming just this. Though, Ed Bastian's interviews of recent have firmly and repeatedly expressed that caps will be lifted when consumers are ready (and three of the interviews I watched suggested that the cap will go into early summer).
Old Mar 20, 2021, 10:29 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Or they could be removed sooner than that. Or they could be extended longer than that. Until the official announcement, we won't really know
Old Mar 20, 2021, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by kjnangre
Or they could be removed sooner than that. Or they could be extended longer than that. Until the official announcement, we won't really know
Before this update, the inventory caps were originally showing through June 30th and that has since been moved up to May 26th with no capacity restrictions starting May 27th so it sounds like they are making their plans now on when to end it. The May 27th date also coincides with the date of the several new routes announced by DL within the past week so take it FWIW.
Old Mar 20, 2021, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Currently I see inventory limits suggesting seat blocking, however middle seats are not blocked for the month of May.

Anyway, one of the schedule changes being rolled out actually benefited me for once... a routing I was watching that was previously not available is bookable again since the connection was shifted a few minutes and now meets mct.
Old Mar 20, 2021, 10:44 am

Before this update, the inventory caps were originally showing through June 30th and that has since been moved up to May 26th with no capacity restrictions starting May 27th so it sounds like they are making their plans now on when to end it. The May 27th date also coincides with the date of the several new routes announced by DL within the past week so take it FWIW.
Also coincides with Memorial Day, and airlines know there will be a solid surge. Smart move on their part IMO.
MCO Flyer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.