Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

5901 Miles till Platinum, is it worth it?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

5901 Miles till Platinum, is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2015, 5:12 am

Programs: AA GLD (1MM), DL GLD, Marriott Plat, RCL D+, X Elite
As a PM dropping to FO (by choice) I can say that the difference between GM (been a Gold too.. ) and PM is significant. The two biggest things for me are phone support and service charge waived award redeposits. The regional upgrades have served me well too.

If I didn't believe that I will likely be living in another airline's hub city in the next 12 months, I would have taken the steps necessary to maintain PM. If I were as close as you are, and I thought I'd fly enough to get close again next year....I'd book a mileage run. If that is questionable, and the phone support and award redeposits, RUCs, etc. are low value for you, I might lean towards sitting tight and rolling over the extra MQMs.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 5:20 pm
Original Poster

Location: DTW Metro Detroit AKA The Motor City AKA Motown AKA BANKRUPT
Programs: Amex Plat, Amex Delta Reserve, Visa Black, Delta Plat FF, SPG Gold, HH Gold, TR Diamond
MQM's for sale? 5901 to Plat? Mileage run from DTW?

Has Delta announced any year end sale of MQMs?

I am 5901 miles from Platinum and do not have any other trips planned this year.

Im debating a mileage run or just buying the miles.

Anyone have any suggestions on runs I can do from DTW to get 6K miles? Im gold and will pay for FC so I get the extra MQM's

Would love some advice!

Last edited by RSSrsvp; Nov 30, 2015 at 5:34 am Reason: Merged by the moderators into the original thread by this poster on the same subject
Old Nov 29, 2015, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
www.google.com/flights

Put DTW in the origin field. Leave the destination field blank. Select "Skyteam" under the airline drop down menu. Also select first class for cabin if you do decide you want first class. Then put in your preferred travel date (or dates if not doing a same day return). The map will then populate with what it cost to fly to each city. You can then play with the price function to eliminate flights that are outside of your price range.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

DL typically launches the MQM sale in early December. Here's last year's pricing. A mileage run is almost certainly going to be cheaper.

http://thepointsguy.com/2014/12/buy-...allion-status/
Old Nov 29, 2015, 6:09 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
I know you indicated DTW, but the JFK-NRT-SIN r/t is still pricing at $700 for travel over the next couple weeks. You'd have to position to JFK, but if you're looking to bank some rollover along with qualifying for GM, it might be worth it. Actually, it was previously $700.80 and is now pricing at $700.10. Had I only waited, I could have saved seventy cents!
Old Nov 29, 2015, 6:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Another idea from DTW is to drive yourself to another smaller airport in Michigan to get an additional segment each way for an additional 1000 MQMs in coach and 1500 MQMs in FC (actually M S H Q K L U T X V E versus B+ fare classes to be precise).
Old Nov 29, 2015, 6:32 pm

Programs: DL PM, Natl-Exec Elite, Hertz-President Circle, Marriot/Starwood-Gold, HHonors-Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Another idea from DTW is to drive yourself to another smaller airport in Michigan to get an additional segment each way for an additional 1000 MQMs in coach and 1500 MQMs in FC (actually M S H Q K L U T X V E versus B+ fare classes to be precise).
Best Choice would be Lansing(LAN), Saginaw(MBS) or Grand Rapids(GRR). From Flint(FNT), the closest airport you can fly to is MSP, which is almost 500 miles, so not much to be gained there.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 6:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
If you don't have the Delta Platinum card, it will net you 5K MQM after 1K spend.

Then all you have to do is a RT to the cheapest airport you can find.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
OP apparently didn't get enough (or enough usable) info here
Old Nov 29, 2015, 7:04 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by jrl767
OP apparently didn't get enough (or enough usable) info here
Now that I see that the OP has started two threads on exactly the same topic, I really wish that I hadn't tried to be helpful to him/her.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 7:14 pm

Programs: DL PM. 1MM
How many threads do you need on this topic??
Old Nov 29, 2015, 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by sethb
"Trip in vain" gets you your money back, not ORC (maybe you can get ORC, that would be nice, but I haven't had it happen yet).
Exactly. You can't get ORC and also receive a refund.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 11:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Plat, Amex Delta Reserve, Visa Black, Delta Plat FF, SPG Gold, HH Gold, TR Diamond
Sorry about that it was a honest mistake, I was meaning to post on another websites forum and didn't realize I hit FT in my bookmarks.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 12:54 am

Programs: DL Platinum
If I do it and its domestic I will buy business, intl I think that will get too expensive.

Id love to hear some ideas and thoughts.

Thank you![/QUOTE]

Is it worth it. I don't know for sure, but I just went through a brawl with Delta over them telling me multiple things on pay with miles - the led me to book a JFK-FCO business on pay with and instead take premium on a paid ticket to break the hump.

it's worth it to my wife and I - i.e. we both get the 60K 30,000 level. We'll be over, but not by a lot. Currently, they're playing a game about MQMS of pay with, like essentially forget it. To be honest, they simply changed the rules without changing anything.

Suggestions. We are in Paris 2-5 times a year, mostly on pleasure,but 1-2 on business. Book the AF premium ticket through DL to CDG, walk around, enjoy life for a few days, forget the news. The advantage of this is that you get a a class premium from AF you won't get from DL for doing the same thing.

i.e. we're going to Rome on Delta (this one got screwed up by Delta) main cabin with an automatic bump to comfort. it's something less than 7,000 miles and the planes in early december aren't overloaded, or weren't. You have great Delta connections to Paris, not so good with AF, but you could do a change at JFK and get both the miles for the Delta segment and then a total of about 10k for the Paris Run, i.e. the standard air miles plus the 25 percent class bonus. You have to move fast because the holidays get weird --but people are nervous about Paris. Don't be.

It will give you excess for next year.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 7:27 am
Original Poster

WOW!
10K MQM's $1795

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.