Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

5901 Miles till Platinum, is it worth it?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2015, 4:25 pm
Original Poster

Location: DTW Metro Detroit AKA The Motor City AKA Motown AKA BANKRUPT
Programs: Amex Plat, Amex Delta Reserve, Visa Black, Delta Plat FF, SPG Gold, HH Gold, TR Diamond

OK
I am done with my business travel for the year.
I am Gold and have 5901 miles till Plat.
I have the Delta Amex Buis Reserve and hit the $30K bonus but wont hit the 60K mark this year.
I fly about 18 trips a year out of DTW mostly all domestic.
Is it worth a mileage run?
If so anyone have any suggestions?
If I do it and its domestic I will buy business, intl I think that will get too expensive.

Id love to hear some ideas and thoughts.

Thank you!
Old Nov 22, 2015, 4:33 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
Youll get the most 'change' in perks from moving up to PM. Access to C+ at booking (space available etc etc....stupid new change), waived fees on award ticket redeposits.
Old Nov 22, 2015, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by xolinlevh
Youll get the most 'change' in perks from moving up to PM. Access to C+ at booking (space available etc etc....stupid new change), waived fees on award ticket redeposits.
Agreed, although that's a serious Mileage Run.

The OP has to calculate if the potential benefits (constantly being watered down) are worth such a long (and likely fairly costly) MR...
Old Nov 22, 2015, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1

The OP has to calculate if the potential benefits (constantly being watered down) are worth such a long (and likely fairly costly) MR...
if OP is willing to drive from Detroit to Flint, there is a 24-hr turn departing Tues 8 Dec for $435, netting ~6200 miles
FNT-ATL lv 1205p ar 220p DL1767
ATL-LAX lv 305p ar 515p DL1755
LAX-SAN lv 700p ar 755p DL5811
SAN-LAX lv 825p ar 925p DL5811
LAX-ATL lv 1150p ar 654a DL1354
ATL-FNT lv 932a ar 1125a DL1767
enough time for a shower at the LAX SkyClub, and there are even some decent C+ seats available on 1354 (and only two of the 36 flat-bed J seats are showing occupied ...)
Old Nov 22, 2015, 5:18 pm

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Hertz PC
Only OP can judge tradeoffs, but with choice benefits and other perks, I'd do the mileage run.
Old Nov 22, 2015, 5:55 pm

*cough* Im doing a 25,000 run next week
Old Nov 22, 2015, 6:02 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Only an idiot would do that. Oh, wait.
Old Nov 22, 2015, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
To each his/her own, but I can't see what "benefits" would warrant spending all that money.

Also, and I'm sure many of you will think of this as blue-state silliness, but I'm concerned about how environmentally damaging airplane travel is and I would never fly 25,000 miles (the circumference of the earth) without needing to actually get somewhere.
Old Nov 22, 2015, 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by Zorak
Only an idiot would do that. Oh, wait.
Not sure what i said to warrant being insulted.....

To each his/her own, but I can't see what "benefits" would warrant spending all that money.

Also, and I'm sure many of you will think of this as blue-state silliness, but I'm concerned about how environmentally damaging airplane travel is and I would never fly 25,000 miles (the circumference of the earth) without needing to actually get somewhere.
Really cheap run. Huge rollover for next year. No real work trips predicted for next year so just gonna be riding status from rollover and a few personal trips.
Old Nov 22, 2015, 6:13 pm

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Not sure what i said to warrant being insulted.....
It was a joke, since I'm starting the same run tomorrow night
Old Nov 22, 2015, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by Zorak
It was a joke, since I'm starting the same run tomorrow night
haha redacted my GUCs havent cleared on the outbound yet *ugh* 20+ hours in coach i AM an idiot
Old Nov 22, 2015, 6:20 pm

Programs: DL PM/MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl767
if OP is willing to drive from Detroit to Flint, there is a 24-hr turn departing Tues 8 Dec for $435, netting ~6200 miles
FNT-ATL lv 1205p ar 220p DL1767
ATL-LAX lv 305p ar 515p DL1755
LAX-SAN lv 700p ar 755p DL5811
SAN-LAX lv 825p ar 925p DL5811
LAX-ATL lv 1150p ar 654a DL1354
ATL-FNT lv 932a ar 1125a DL1767
enough time for a shower at the LAX SkyClub, and there are even some decent C+ seats available on 1354 (and only two of the 36 flat-bed J seats are showing occupied ...)
That's impressive. Is there some easy way to figure these trips out? I can't imagine sitting at DL.com and trying every possible combination of trips to get 6200 miles for $435.
Old Nov 22, 2015, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by kerbo
That's impressive. Is there some easy way to figure these trips out? I can't imagine sitting at DL.com and trying every possible combination of trips to get 6200 miles for $435.
multi leg search google.com/flights
Old Nov 22, 2015, 6:30 pm

Well, you look at your status w/o the MR and with the MR and decide whether the difference in tiers is worth the $$ and time to you. I can pretty much work from wherever I have an Internet connection so that helps.

I am mostly a blue-state liberal too, so there may be a twinge of guilt, but it seems to me that MRs are mostly done on cheap fares == excess capacity on flights the airlines would be making anyway. But if you want to call that a self-serving rationalization I certainly understand!

Originally Posted by kerbo
A simplistic way involves using Google flights and leaving the destination open, you can see what fares are available for particular dates to arbitrary locations on the map.

Hanging out on the MR forum helps. Even if the posted deals are short-lived, sometimes they come back, or similar things can be found if you check periodically, so it's a good starting point for ideas.
Old Nov 22, 2015, 6:32 pm

Programs: DL DM, GOES
No way to have results sort destinations by price/distance? Seems tedious to look at random destinations.

Last edited by EditingFX; Nov 22, 2015 at 6:37 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.