Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Kudos to DL ground crew in SLC after AF emergency

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Kudos to DL ground crew in SLC after AF emergency

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2015, 8:21 pm

Programs: DL GM, AMEX Business Platinum, AMEX Delta Reserve, DL SkyClub Member, Choice PM
Wow obscure2k! What an experience!
Great to hear/ read about this.

Had a unique experience on DL 171 MSP-CDG on Friday Nov 13th, 2015 as the events were unfolding in Paris.

The Pilot of DL 171 was very reassuring even though there was little information he could share with certainty.
Many passengers on DL 171 followed the events using the inflight wifi all through the flight.
We landed late at CDG and as I was connecting to an AF flight CDG-BOM .... went through security and to the gate.... did not attempt to go to the lounge.
The AF flight to BOM was delayed by nearly 2 hours as they tried to wait for as many passengers as possible. It was taking 3+ hours at CDG from check in to gate that morning on Saturday Nov 14.
Eventually we departed CDG with 30 seats empty, (Originally it was an overbooked flight!).
Old Nov 19, 2015, 8:42 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Originally Posted by brazzleman
According to the local news, the plane took off around midnight for Paris.
So, then, did the passengers clear CBP and immigration at SLC and get rebooked on DL flights? I guess that's the advantage to diverting to a hub (your own or a partner's).
Old Nov 19, 2015, 8:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by mattp1987
So, then, did the passengers clear CBP and immigration at SLC and get rebooked on DL flights? I guess that's the advantage to diverting to a hub (your own or a partner's).
At that point, was it still possible to get onto a DL (or partner) TATL flight, either from SLC or using a connection, that same night? I'm wondering about the timing in that usually if your own flight is messed up, it's too late to fly to an international gateway and make a DL flight the same day, although JFK seems to have some late AF and AZ departures to Europe.

Clearly this would not have worked for all of the 500 or so passengers on the A380, but perhaps a few elites could have found space. OTOH, if everyone was waiting to be questioned by the FBI before being allowed out of the holding ares, that would have it even harder to catch alternate flights.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 9:22 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
At that point, was it still possible to get onto a DL (or partner) TATL flight, either from SLC or using a connection, that same night? I'm wondering about the timing in that usually if your own flight is messed up, it's too late to fly to an international gateway and make a DL flight the same day, although JFK seems to have some late AF and AZ departures to Europe.

Clearly this would not have worked for all of the 500 or so passengers on the A380, but perhaps a few elites could have found space. OTOH, if everyone was waiting to be questioned by the FBI before being allowed out of the holding ares, that would have it even harder to catch alternate flights.
The only non-stop to Europe would have been SLC-CDG which departs around 5:30pm. The AF diversion landed in SLC at 7:11pm.

There may have been options to head back west for a late night west-coast departure but that likely wouldn't have worked given the timing.

JFK would not have been an option from SLC as the 5:10pm JFK-SLC flight arrives into JFK at 11:50pm. The next SLC-JFK departure is a red-eye with an early morning JFK arrival.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 1:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
WOW, but with AF being an EC carrier, at least they were obligated to provide hotel rooms and food. Assuming that the issue was crew rest, I would imagine that it would take a lot of lead time for AF to get a new crew into Halifax.
I think bomb threat and government ordered diversion would be grounds not to have to. If not then I'm not sure would qualify as an exception.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 4:23 am

Programs: VS, BA, C, C++, IoT
Originally Posted by flyerCO
I think bomb threat and government ordered diversion would be grounds not to have to. If not then I'm not sure would qualify as an exception.
It's an interesting question. I've read EC 261/2004 (PDF) in detail, and I'm not completely certain.

Article 6 refers to delay exclusively in the context of time of departure, not time of arrival: most of the rest of the Regulation also refers to either boarding delay, denial of boarding or delay of departure.

I can't see anything within that Regulation that covers the situation where a flight (falling within the Regulation's territorial applicability) is forced to divert and therefore arrival, rather than departure, is delayed.

Any legal beagles here have any case law or other inputs into this? I think it would be very much of interest, to an awful lot of us, to know the answer.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 7:16 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA Gold/1MM, AS MVP 100K, BA Gold, TK Elite
SLC ground crew is usually great so glad they exceeded the bar here
Old Nov 20, 2015, 7:40 am

I'm imagining anyone with checked luggage would couldn't have rebooked (although as mentioned upthread, not much to rebook on). With a security situation, highly doubtful that they'd allow voluntary separation from luggage even if you wanted to do that.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 9:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by jonsg
It's an interesting question. I've read EC 261/2004 (PDF) in detail, and I'm not completely certain.

Article 6 refers to delay exclusively in the context of time of departure, not time of arrival: most of the rest of the Regulation also refers to either boarding delay, denial of boarding or delay of departure.

I can't see anything within that Regulation that covers the situation where a flight (falling within the Regulation's territorial applicability) is forced to divert and therefore arrival, rather than departure, is delayed.

Any legal beagles here have any case law or other inputs into this? I think it would be very much of interest, to an awful lot of us, to know the answer.
My understanding of EC261 is that compensation isn't due for any extraordinary events but the airline nevertheless has a duty of care. For example, during strikes and natural disasters such as a volcano erupting, the airline is obligated to provide lodging and meals.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 9:44 am

First hand report from a blogger site, it answers many questions:

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...ersion-report/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.