Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Kudos to DL ground crew in SLC after AF emergency

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2015, 8:42 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy
Original Poster

I was on AF 65 yesterday which because of a bomb threat was diverted to Salt Lake City. The DL staff were so caring and efficient. We passengers had no idea how long we would have to stay in that terminal. DL almost immediately started doing what the could to make us comfortable. There were cases of water, blankets, chocolate bars, folding chairs, pizza and burgers. They never seemed overwhelmed by the sudden onslaught of 500 people. They maintained calm and a professional yet friendly demeanor even when some pax had to wait in a long line to be interviewed by the FBI
I hear a lot of complaints in this forum. At the end of the day it sure was nice to see a dedicated group of DL employees show how much they care
They did a remarkable job maintaining order and giving us timely updates
Old Nov 19, 2015, 9:25 am

Programs: DL PM, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, AmExPlat
Nice to hear how DL reacted. Sorry you had to go through that experience, though!
Old Nov 19, 2015, 9:33 am

Programs: DL DM, GOES
DL + IRROPS = Win
Old Nov 19, 2015, 10:27 am

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by EditingFX
DL + IRROPS = Win
I agree, and as long as they keep this up, I will probably stick with them, even though the FFP and Medallion programs have been so devalued lately.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by EditingFX
DL + IRROPS = Win
^ Oh yes.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 12:20 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Wow obscure2k! What an experience. Glad you and everyone on board is OK.

Lots of questions:
Was everyone interviewed by the FBI upon landing? Where did they hold you all while waiting to be questioned? What reason did the cabin crew give for the diversion (I assume they didn't tell you the real reason while on board)?

Nice to hear that Delta was so accommodating. The SLC crew is an especially caring bunch.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 4:25 pm

Got to say pretty good.
BUT I dont like chocolate,pizza or burgers.
I am a vegeterian. Plus above I never eat.
So what for some one like me? Nothing/
Old Nov 19, 2015, 4:40 pm

Programs: DL Pork Medallion, PP, GE
Originally Posted by TTT
Wow obscure2k! What an experience. Glad you and everyone on board is OK.

Lots of questions:
Was everyone interviewed by the FBI upon landing? Where did they hold you all while waiting to be questioned? What reason did the cabin crew give for the diversion (I assume they didn't tell you the real reason while on board)?

Nice to hear that Delta was so accommodating. The SLC crew is an especially caring bunch.
This is why I'm happy SLC is my main airport. It's smaller, quiet, and the DL staff are great.

My buddy who was working that night said the passengers were held in the FIS area. If so, that would make sense, as the mostly-empty massive customs hall seems to be generally unused, and the only single area large enough to hold nearly 500 passengers.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 4:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by tanja
Got to say pretty good.
You never eat? Like, not at all?

I'm guessing Air France will reimburse DL for this misadventure?
Old Nov 19, 2015, 5:01 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
I'm guessing Air France will reimburse DL for this misadventure?
Wouldn't this be part of the AF-DL TATL Joint Venture? If so, then AF would be responsible for 50%.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 5:07 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Amb./LTP
Originally Posted by tanja
Got to say pretty good.
Just as I'm sure the flight was catered to meet special dietary considerations, had you been on this flight and the snacks provided didn't meet your diet - DL would have accommodated.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 5:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Was this A380 stuck in SLC overnight? I assume the crew would have timed out before they could get off the ground again, but maybe not if they had double crew anyway.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 7:23 pm

Programs: DL PM,1MM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Was this A380 stuck in SLC overnight? I assume the crew would have timed out before they could get off the ground again, but maybe not if they had double crew anyway.
According to the local news, the plane took off around midnight for Paris.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 7:24 pm

Programs: Delta 2M DM, Southwest A List and CP
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I connected through SLC on Tuesday night, and the A380 was still there when I departed at 11 pm, but according to the Air France website the plane took off a little after midnight and got to Paris on Wednesday afternoon. The passengers from IAD that were diverted to Halifax were not so lucky apparently... according to Air France the plane was supposed to leave Halifax Wednesday night.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 8:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by PHXflier
I connected through SLC on Tuesday night, and the A380 was still there when I departed at 11 pm, but according to the Air France website the plane took off a little after midnight and got to Paris on Wednesday afternoon. The passengers from IAD that were diverted to Halifax were not so lucky apparently... according to Air France the plane was supposed to leave Halifax Wednesday night.
WOW, but with AF being an EC carrier, at least they were obligated to provide hotel rooms and food. Assuming that the issue was crew rest, I would imagine that it would take a lot of lead time for AF to get a new crew into Halifax.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.