Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ATL Ground Stop November 18, 2015?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2015, 4:15 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
ATL Ground Stop November 18, 2015?

Over in the WN forum:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south...15-22-48z.html
Old Nov 18, 2015, 4:33 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
http://www.fly.faa.gov/flyfaa/usmap.jsp:

Due to WEATHER / TORNADO-HURRICANE, there is a Traffic Management Program in effect for traffic arriving Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport, Atlanta, GA (ATL). To see if you may be affected, select your departure airport and check "Delays by Destination".
(Possible) tornado will definitely ground stop an airport.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 4:43 pm

Programs: Show me the points!
Old Nov 18, 2015, 5:23 pm

Programs: WFBF
Originally Posted by ty97
http://www.fly.faa.gov/flyfaa/usmap.jsp:

ATL, yes. MCI and some other midwestern airports... depends on how close the tornado is

(except DFW, which ground stops any time there's a speck of cloud in the contiguous US)
Old Nov 18, 2015, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
Originally Posted by ty97
WSB-TV: Radar confirms tornado touches down in Coweta, south Fulton County (Updated: 7:25 p.m. Wednesday, Nov. 18, 2015)
Old Nov 19, 2015, 5:36 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Yep sat on the tarmac for 2 hours in the north east because of this. No chance for us to get in the air after the 30 minute delay at the gate, but the captain I guess wanted to keep DL's "on time record" so we pushed back.

Unlike the folks in South Carolina we didnt get pizza, well we didnt get anything actually, not even water.

Sometimes DL really fails when it comes to basic options to make people happy like WATER. Though to be fair to the FA's, standing at the front eating, drinking, and chatting with each other was more important.

Of course dont worry if you had a connecting flight the FA's said they cant do anything over the announcements & to "just go google the number"

Could care less I didnt have a connection, but found that rude. Others must have too because 5 minutes later the same FA came on saying here is the number.

Second long delay in 2 days. First was a mechanical due to poor work at Tech Ops on DL's part with NO announcements for over 3 1/2 hours.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 7:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by vincentharris
Yep sat on the tarmac for 2 hours in the north east because of this. No chance for us to get in the air after the 30 minute delay at the gate, but the captain I guess wanted to keep DL's "on time record" so we pushed back.

Unlike the folks in South Carolina we didnt get pizza, well we didnt get anything actually, not even water.

Sometimes DL really fails when it comes to basic options to make people happy like WATER. Though to be fair to the FA's, standing at the front eating, drinking, and chatting with each other was more important.

Of course dont worry if you had a connecting flight the FA's said they cant do anything over the announcements & to "just go google the number"

Could care less I didnt have a connection, but found that rude. Others must have too because 5 minutes later the same FA came on saying here is the number.

Second long delay in 2 days. First was a mechanical due to poor work at Tech Ops on DL's part with NO announcements for over 3 1/2 hours.
Did you ring your call button and ask for water?
Old Nov 19, 2015, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Of course not...he'd rather complain on FT.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Originally Posted by OHDL1
Of course not...he'd rather complain on FT.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 12:06 pm

Programs: DL-FO, SPG-Gold, HH-Dia, IHG Spire Elite IC
Was on DL1761 PHL-ATL last night. Well... PHL-HSV-ATL

No pizza in HSV, but IMO, the flight crew managed the delay/diversion relatively well. Plenty of water, snacks and passenger assistance deployed to the best of their ability. There was some conversing amongst the FA crew while we were on the ground, but I think that was mostly re: calculating when they would timeout.

That said, some of the staff in the B10 Sky Club had CLEARLY timed out on their ability to provide even baseline customer service. It was getting ugly in there at 9:00PM last night. (Even by B10 standards)
Old Nov 19, 2015, 12:10 pm

Programs: DL PM. 1MM
JFK delays due to weather..

at JFK T4 Sky Club waiting on inbound aircraft from atlanta. So far DL 478 ATL-JFK has posted 3 hour delay. i'm afraid it's only going to get worse!
Old Nov 19, 2015, 12:13 pm

Programs: DL PM. 1MM
Originally Posted by vincentharris
I know it sucks and yes the FA's should have offered water at minimum during the delay.

But it's not just the on time record delta has to worry about. That AC sitting at the gate for two hours blocks other incoming aircraft from deplaning. Gates are often at a premium these days..
Old Nov 19, 2015, 5:26 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by ubernostrum
(except DFW, which ground stops any time there's a speck of cloud in the contiguous US)
Actually, DFW isn't even in the Top 10 when it comes to ground stops.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 8:20 pm

I'm new
I'm flying out of Ohare on Monday evening to ATL.

I flew out of Ohare once on a random non busy day in the summer. Line was 15-20 minutes.
Monday scares me because of this.

How did you guys get that alert you are discussing in this thread? I want to check Monday afternoon what the conditions will be like for my flight so my Zip car res wont get wasted.

Thanks, apologies if this was anyway offtopic.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 9:58 pm

Programs: DL DM
I was flying RDU-ATL-SJC yesterday. At 5:15pm, just when we were about to take off in RDU, the pilot was told to hold because of the Tornado warning in ATL. Then we sat on the taxiway for ~2 hours. By the time we landed in ATL, it was already 8:05pm, and the SJC flight already took off at 8pm on time. Had to scramble; called Diomand line, and had them put me on the last flight of the night to SFO. Landed at midnight PST, and then took another 1.5 hours to go through the rental car routine + driving to San Jose. Not a fun night.

I also lost my FC seat on the SJC flight and ended up in a middle seat on the SFO flight. GA said that was the only thing she had.

The lady sitting in the middle seat behind me was also a DM. She was complaining about the middle seat too. She was going CUN-ATL-SMF, and missed the connecting flight. She was not too thrilled with the 2-hour drive after landing at SFO at midnight...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.