Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is Co-Terminaling going bye/bye???

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2015, 6:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by krlcomm
Never a problem w/ A or P. It was a G fare and I was told that my fare had an economy fare basis w/ an automatic upgrade. I'm assuming that this only applies to G? I SDC A and P all the time (pretty much every week at least once) and have never had an issue so I just assumed it was the G fare. Probably off base w/ that assumption as I don't follow these things very closely...
AFAIK A and at least most P fares also have underlying coach fare bases.

If I try a FC SDC in the future, I'm going to try to watch what coach and FC fares are showing as available, although G and most of the underlying coach fares generally aren't available on the day of departure.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 6:17 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
AFAIK A and at least most P fares also have underlying coach fare bases.

If I try a FC SDC in the future, I'm going to try to watch what coach and FC fares are showing as available, although G and most of the underlying coach fares generally aren't available on the day of departure.
When I buy a GAP fare, I am always given the option to "upgrade" to a flexible ticket. Makes sense. As for the co-terminal...if one wants to fly to EWR instead of JFK, one should buy a ticket to EWR.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 6:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by bubbashow
When I buy a GAP fare, I am always given the option to "upgrade" to a flexible ticket. Makes sense. As for the co-terminal...if one wants to fly to EWR instead of JFK, one should buy a ticket to EWR.
The post that I quoted concerned SDC from a FC fare that DL apparently decided to sell to the general public. AFAIK there was no use of the co-terminal benefit involved.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 6:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
... I hope DL is distinguishing between FAGP and JDZI in the res system. Would make perfect sense and close a gaming loophole. ...
so what would this do to you as a DM? say you book FGAP DCA-ATL on DL2338, but want/need to SDC to the flight an hour later which is DL151 ... that **flight number** continues to an international destination, so the domestic segment is coded as Business (I)

would you graciously accept the fact that DM agent or the GA tells you to pound sand? or would you patiently (or maybe not so patiently) explain the difference, and escalate to a supervisor or redcoat in an effort to "game the system" to get your desired outcome?
Old Nov 17, 2015, 6:39 am

Originally Posted by jrl767
would you graciously accept the fact that DM agent or the GA tells you to pound sand? or would you patiently (or maybe not so patiently) explain the difference, and escalate to a supervisor or redcoat in an effort to "game the system" to get your desired outcome?
I always graciously accept what is mutually decided. I have never had to escalate any issue to a redcoat, I have never had to escalate to a supervisor. I truly feel that DL has always done the right thing for me, yet I have never stretched the limits of ethics nor taken advantage of loopholes for purposes for which they weren't designed. It's those that do stretch that will be upset by this. Flexible fares have always existed. When I have traveled for work, and they needed me to be flexible, they have provided such a fare to me. If your employer won't, your issue is with your employer, not DL.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
I never said my DCA-ATL example was about business travel ...
Old Nov 17, 2015, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by davetravels
In regard to getting bad info from agents - - and in this case, even after I escalated to a supv . . . .

I was flying PIT/BKK/PIT. On the way back, I was overnighting in LA, then LAX/JFK/PIT the next day. Cheap ($1200 V class) ticket upgraded via GUC . . . .

I had a 4 hour layover at JFK, so, I wanted to do a SDC after I got into LA from NRT to a later LAX/JFK flight to hava shorter layover. Here's what ensued . . . .

1) Fiasco #1 - Arrived in LA - after Customs, I was at about T-21 hours. I called the DM line, and the agent couldn't do it, she said . . . .

#1, because the BKK/NRT/LAX flights hadn't posted yet. - AND -

#2, my V class originally purchased wasn't available.

Her exact words - - "YOU HAVE A LOT GOIN ON HERE!!!"

#2 Fiasco - I escalated to a supv.

The segments are married, and, an F UG isn't available on JFK/PIT, and V class isn't available, so, I can't do it.

I told her that, if she looks at my fare breakdown, she'd see that, in actuality, I was on 2 separate fares: PIT/NYC nested within NYC/BKK.

She said: I'm looking at it right now, and you're NOT on 2 separate fares!!

Here's my fare breakdown - You guyz tell me:

Fare Details: PIT DL NYC109.30VE21A0NQ DL X/LAX DL X/TYO DL BKK 5M243.60VLW0ZPAX DL X/TYO DL X/LAX DL X/MSP DL NYC 5M164.85VLX0ZPAX DL PIT109.30VE21A0NQ NUC627.05END

Eventually - she did it . . . . . "As a courtesy"!!!

(I was originally booked LAX/MSP/LGA/PIT, but due to schedule changes, I got it changed to LAX/JFK/PIT)
I thought that SDC after the last international segment had to be processed at the airport? It has nothing to do with fare components, it's if it's on the same ticket or not. If memory serves me correctly the CSR really did do it for you as a courtesy.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 7:20 am

I never said my DCA-ATL example was about business travel ...
An individual can purchase a flexible fare as easily as a business. They are there for one reason...flexibility. Why would anyone pay the up-charge to flexible when they can get around it with various loopholes? Good for DL.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why would anyone pay the up-charge to flexible when they can get around it with various loopholes?
so you're advocating DL eliminate SDC/SDS in their entirety?
Old Nov 17, 2015, 7:30 am

so you're advocating DL eliminate SDC/SDS in their entirety?
No...I think that a fair result would be based on fare bucket availability for SDC. SDS - hell, let anyone stand by...with loads what they are, good luck.

Buy a G fare, move only to a flight with G availability.

Buy a P fare, move only to a flight with P availability.

Eliminate co-terminal altogether. Buy what you want.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
No...I think that a fair result would be based on fare bucket availability for SDC. SDS - hell, let anyone stand by...with loads what they are, good luck.

Buy a G fare, move only to a flight with G availability.

Buy a P fare, move only to a flight with P availability.

Eliminate co-terminal altogether. Buy what you want.
They tried that back when the SDC changes went in... and got so much negative feedback that they went back to any seat for F. That initial change seemed to 'stick' with some agents who still insist that you need the same bucket or the underlying coach fare and first class bucket.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by rylan
They tried that back when the SDC changes went in... and got so much negative feedback that they went back to any seat for F.
....and wasn't that when US, and FL were plying the skies?
Old Nov 17, 2015, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

....and wasn't that when US, and FL were plying the skies?
True... bigger oligopoly = more F-U attitude from the big DL.

That was really aggravating holding a P fare ticket and a bunch of flights sitting at F4P0 so you can't SDC, even into Y.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by rylan
True... bigger oligopoly = more F-U attitude from the big DL.

That was really aggravating holding a P fare ticket and a bunch of flights sitting at F4P0 so you can't SDC, even into Y.
Again...flexibility has ALWAYS been an option....it just comes at a price.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Again...flexibility has ALWAYS been an option....it just comes at a price.
If we have to buy a full Y or F/J ticket to be flexible and use SDC, then they should just eliminate the SDC as an option and only allow changes if you reprice the ticket or us a flex fare.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.