Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is Co-Terminaling going bye/bye???

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2015, 6:32 pm

Programs: SPG, DL
Originally Posted by Often1
How is it screwing a customer when one purchases a discounted ticket which may only be changed for a fee and is then permitted to change it without a fee?

The entire concept of SDC cannibalizes the refundable/changeable full fare brand. Maybe waive the fare difference for same day changes, but why drop the change fee from $200 to $0?
This is 100% WRONG. Changeable fares are for date differences. SDC/SDS are for day of differences. They are ENTIRELY different concepts--whether you need to change the flight from this week to next week (or even today to tomorrow) is an entirely different problem than having a meeting run an hour late or an hour short.

For example, even now if you by a NON-CHANGEABLE fare (e.g. a SLUT fare) you can still SDC or SDC for the $50 fee, not for $200. However, if you have to change the days of your flight (i did this last month because my date changed by a week) you have to pay the $200 change fee +/- fare difference

On the topic of people "gaming" the SDC system--I guarantee you Delta makes more money off the businessmen like me buying FCM fares instead of cheapest economy because we want the guaranteed flexibility to get home early/late if our meeting goes long/short versus the "gamers" who buy ATL-DTW-LAX to SDC ATL-JFK-LAX.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 7:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You may believe that refundable/changeable fares are only for date changes, but that is a function of SDC and was never like that before this happened.

SDC cannibalizes the flexible brand and that's bad for the short term, the long term and the guy with the full fare ticket who can't get on a flight because it's been filled with SDC's from el cheapo fares.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 7:16 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
In regard to getting bad info from agents - - and in this case, even after I escalated to a supv . . . .

I was flying PIT/BKK/PIT. On the way back, I was overnighting in LA, then LAX/JFK/PIT the next day. Cheap ($1200 V class) ticket upgraded via GUC . . . .

I had a 4 hour layover at JFK, so, I wanted to do a SDC after I got into LA from NRT to a later LAX/JFK flight to hava shorter layover. Here's what ensued . . . .

1) Fiasco #1 - Arrived in LA - after Customs, I was at about T-21 hours. I called the DM line, and the agent couldn't do it, she said . . . .

#1, because the BKK/NRT/LAX flights hadn't posted yet. - AND -

#2, my V class originally purchased wasn't available.

Her exact words - - "YOU HAVE A LOT GOIN ON HERE!!!"

#2 Fiasco - I escalated to a supv.

The segments are married, and, an F UG isn't available on JFK/PIT, and V class isn't available, so, I can't do it.

I told her that, if she looks at my fare breakdown, she'd see that, in actuality, I was on 2 separate fares: PIT/NYC nested within NYC/BKK.

She said: I'm looking at it right now, and you're NOT on 2 separate fares!!

Here's my fare breakdown - You guyz tell me:

Fare Details: PIT DL NYC109.30VE21A0NQ DL X/LAX DL X/TYO DL BKK 5M243.60VLW0ZPAX DL X/TYO DL X/LAX DL X/MSP DL NYC 5M164.85VLX0ZPAX DL PIT109.30VE21A0NQ NUC627.05END

Eventually - she did it . . . . . "As a courtesy"!!!

(I was originally booked LAX/MSP/LGA/PIT, but due to schedule changes, I got it changed to LAX/JFK/PIT)
Old Nov 16, 2015, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by ATLawyer
... On the topic of people "gaming" the SDC system--I guarantee you Delta makes more money off the businessmen like me buying FCM fares instead of cheapest economy because we want the guaranteed flexibility to get home early/late if our meeting goes long/short versus the "gamers" who buy ATL-DTW-LAX to SDC ATL-JFK-LAX.
I for one tend to believe you (even though you should have said "short/long" to correspond to "early/late" ) ... but again, relative to the universe of DL passengers, I think the FT community disproportionately consists of those who enjoy relating how they have "worked the system to their benefit"
Old Nov 16, 2015, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by davetravels
In regard to getting bad info from agents - - and in this case, even after I escalated to a supv . . . .

I was flying PIT/BKK/PIT. On the way back, I was overnighting in LA, then LAX/JFK/PIT the next day. Cheap ($1200 V class) ticket upgraded via GUC . . . .

I had a 4 hour layover at JFK, so, I wanted to do a SDC after I got into LA from NRT to a later LAX/JFK flight to hava shorter layover. ... in actuality, I was on 2 separate fares: PIT/NYC nested within NYC/BKK.

She said: I'm looking at it right now, and you're NOT on 2 separate fares!!

Here's my fare breakdown - You guyz tell me:

Fare Details: PIT DL NYC109.30VE21A0NQ DL X/LAX DL X/TYO DL BKK 5M243.60VLW0ZPAX DL X/TYO DL X/LAX DL X/MSP DL NYC 5M164.85VLX0ZPAX DL PIT109.30VE21A0NQ NUC627.05END

Eventually - she did it . . . . . "As a courtesy"!!! )
wow ... just wow

glad you got the result you were after, but that's nutz
Old Nov 17, 2015, 12:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by krlcomm
I haven't had any issues w/ A or P but G was a no go last week. Was told that the underlying fare basis had to be available and it wasn't. Not a problem I just took my original flight and got home a little later. I don't get many G fares either.
I SDCed about a week ago on a G A P fare without any issues or argument. The Chisholm agent was well aware that I only needed a FC seat, not some particular fare class inventory. Quick and easy!
Old Nov 17, 2015, 4:01 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, AA PLT, Hertz PC
So here's a question:

I have a trip coming up BOS-LAX in F. This trip was $985 r/t and the connection through JFK in D1 was $1300 r/t. I plan 24-hours in advance to call and inquire about SDC via JFK if there are seats open.

So - Am I less valuable to DL and still considered a "gamer" since I paid $315 less than the actual J ticket through JFK even though those open seats will go to the passengers who paid ~$300-$400 r/t and are burning a RUC to upgrade into one of those last remaining J seats when I paid 2-3x as much?

Last edited by clr4t8koff; Nov 17, 2015 at 4:18 am
Old Nov 17, 2015, 4:42 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Quote:

Originally Posted by krlcomm

I haven't had any issues w/ A or P but G was a no go last week. Was told that the underlying fare basis had to be available and it wasn't. Not a problem I just took my original flight and got home a little later. I don't get many G fares either.

I SDCed about a week ago on a G A P fare without any issues or argument. The Chisholm agent was well aware that I only needed a FC seat, not some particular fare class inventory. Quick and easy!

Never a problem w/ A or P. It was a G fare and I was told that my fare had an economy fare basis w/ an automatic upgrade. I'm assuming that this only applies to G? I SDC A and P all the time (pretty much every week at least once) and have never had an issue so I just assumed it was the G fare. Probably off base w/ that assumption as I don't follow these things very closely...
Old Nov 17, 2015, 4:46 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by clr4t8koff
So here's a question:

I have a trip coming up BOS-LAX in F. This trip was $985 r/t and the connection through JFK in D1 was $1300 r/t. I plan 24-hours in advance to call and inquire about SDC via JFK if there are seats open.

So - Am I less valuable to DL and still considered a "gamer" since I paid $315 less than the actual J ticket through JFK even though those open seats will go to the passengers who paid ~$300-$400 r/t and are burning a RUC to upgrade into one of those last remaining J seats when I paid 2-3x as much?
Good morning clearedforteightkoff...I think that 300-400 is a huge assumption on your part. You are absolutely a gamer. You are removing a seat from inventory in DLOne that has a 2220 walkup fare each way (and there is a ton of last-minute traffic on that route). If you want lie flat.....buy lie flat. I really hope DL is changing this. The stories of folks taking advantage of this loophole have gone on way too long.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 4:48 am

Originally Posted by ATLawyer
On the topic of people "gaming" the SDC system--I guarantee you Delta makes more money off the businessmen like me buying FCM fares instead of cheapest economy because we want the guaranteed flexibility to get home early/late if our meeting goes long/short versus the "gamers" who buy ATL-DTW-LAX to SDC ATL-JFK-LAX.
But...there are flexible F fares for that. It has long been an argument by many on here that DL is devaluing the frequent flyer because F class is cheaper than Y. The argument is that the discounted F comes with restrictions. That is exactly true. If you want flexibility, there is a fare for that in both cabins.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 5:03 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, AA PLT, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bubbashow
Good morning clearedforteightkoff...I think that 300-400 is a huge assumption on your part. You are absolutely a gamer. You are removing a seat from inventory in DLOne that has a 2220 walkup fare each way (and there is a ton of last-minute traffic on that route). If you want lie flat.....buy lie flat. I really hope DL is changing this. The stories of folks taking advantage of this loophole have gone on way too long.
Your response makes no sense. Have you looked at the r/t coach fares on BOS-LAX (12/12-12/15)....I'm not exaggerating or making any assumptions with my quoted prices. First do your due diligence before saying I'm making assumptions OR considering me a gamer. How am I negatively impacting the bottom line when these seats would have gone to instrument upgrades. I'm not flying on a highly traveled business day, it's a Saturday.

Furthermore - based on your explanation, you, Bubbashow, are a gamer then since you took away close in booking inventory on your flight to NRT with a mileage upgrade. I've purchased a premium cabin ticket. You did not.

Last edited by clr4t8koff; Nov 17, 2015 at 5:20 am
Old Nov 17, 2015, 5:11 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by rylan
I'd be surprised if they took away co-terminal SDC for DMs, as I doubt this benefit is used very often anyway. I would expect something much more sinister is afoot for first class SDC.
I use it all the time. Delta can easily squeeze more money out of DM's by implementing a CO-T charge. I am actually surprised they haven't done so already being the way things have been going lately.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 5:35 am

Originally Posted by clr4t8koff
Furthermore - based on your explanation, you, Bubbashow, are a gamer then since you took away close in booking inventory on your flight to NRT with a mileage upgrade. I've purchased a premium cabin ticket. You did not.
I would say at north of 2400 one way, I paid more for my non-premium cabin upgraded ticket (using upgrade inventory that DL decided was available) than most did on discounted Z tickets. There is a BIG difference that you are ignoring cleared for teightk off......SDC in premium cabins allows any seat available...not an upgrade bucket that DL determines it can release. Therein lies the problem....you ARE taking away a seat that could be bought last minute and not necessarily going to an instrument upgrader. You can get that seat, the upgrader may not. Glad DL is catching on to the games.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 5:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by bubbashow
So from that logic, anyone who doesn't pay the full walkup J fare is a gamer? If DL has a fare sale that someone takes advantage of, or grabs a good deal on a Z fare for D1 lay flat, they are taking a seat out of inventory that DL could sell for 2200 each way.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 5:49 am

Originally Posted by rylan
So from that logic, anyone who doesn't pay the full walkup J fare is a gamer? If DL has a fare sale that someone takes advantage of, or grabs a good deal on a Z fare for D1 lay flat, they are taking a seat out of inventory that DL could sell for 2200 each way.
It doesn't matter the gamer explanation...it's changing....another door is closing....people will actually have to pay for the service they desire. Stomp and shout all you want, looks like these people will be losing.....and if there is Z availability the day of departure, no harm, no foul. '

I hope DL is distinguishing between FAGP and JDZI in the res system. Would make perfect sense and close a gaming loophole. Apply the same SDC rules for F as main cabin. Want flexibility? Buy a flexible fare.

Last edited by bubbashow; Nov 17, 2015 at 6:07 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.