Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is Co-Terminaling going bye/bye???

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2015, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by rylan
I'd be surprised if they took away co-terminal SDC for DMs, as I doubt this benefit is used very often anyway. I would expect something much more sinister is afoot for first class SDC.
The later would make a lot more sense. Seeing all the people on here that admit to buying FCM fares for the SDC ability, it wouldn't surprise me if the next enhancement would be to eliminate that or at least require the same fare purchase be available (and I admit to buying SDC sometimes for the flexibility of SDC as well). If this change were to occur it could be a positive since some people will quit buying FCM fares if they can't switch flights as easily meaning more seats available for upgrades. But as someone that often takes the last flight of the day it could also be a negative since people on those flights won't be able to SDC into an earlier flight in the day.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by jrl767

while there are many stories here on FT from people who have done that (myself included, WAS-XXX-LAX/SEA), you have to remember that we FTers are the knowledgeable few and really don't constitute the majority of DL's passengers
But at up to$1,000 a pop it doesn't take a lot of bad apples to spoil the barrel for DL's RM.

I doubt they would eliminate co-terminal SDC completely but I could see where JFK/SFO & LAX is restricted in terms of co-terminal SDC, and even potentially from any connecting SDC itinerary at least in J/F cabin.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
I could easily see SDC on the JFK<-->SFO/LAX flights being limited to only those with a D1 ticket on an earlier/later flight the same day, whether O/D or as part of a connecting itinerary
Old Nov 16, 2015, 1:46 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by jrl767

while there are many stories here on FT from people who have done that (myself included, WAS-XXX-LAX/SEA), you have to remember that we FTers are the knowledgeable few and really don't constitute the majority of DL's passengers
Yet, to put it kindly....many push the ethical limits through legitimate loopholes then publish it on a site that Delta reads. As responsible business operators, they are REQUIRED to close said loopholes. FT isn't the majority, but it is a wonderful resource for DL to use to see how people are gaming the system.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by UVAhoo06
Allowing these types of common sense changes can often engender the goodwill of customers, specifically ones who have stuck with you for the long-term
I don't know why it isn't yet understood that DL CLEARLY isn't interested in some types of loyalty. Loyalty does not equal profitability.....ESPECIALLY when the competition has been largely-eliminated.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by bubbashow
I don't know why it isn't yet understood that DL CLEARLY isn't interested in some types of loyalty. Loyalty does not equal profitability.....ESPECIALLY when the competition has been largely-eliminated.
Exactly. While the changes are upsetting, they are certainly not surprising. The airlines have an effective monopoly so can do what they want for pricing and 'enhancements'.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 2:08 pm

Exactly. While the changes are upsetting, they are certainly not surprising. The airlines have an effective monopoly so can do what they want for pricing and 'enhancements'.
This is part of a cycle, but many enjoyed $99 transcons for years sitting in the front cabin. Everything in this world has a way of balancing out.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Unfortunately it has become a monopoly. People that live in cities like Chicago, NYC and LAX are lucky they have a choice in who to fly, for people like my who have to use DTW or people in MSP you don't have a lot of choices.

If a monopoly knows they can screw their customers they will and from an accounting stand point I understand it.

The only way that will change in any industry is if there is some form of competition. Like with Taxi's. For years cab companies screwed passengers and now that Uber is around and people have an alternative they are really hurting. In some cities a few cab companies have gone under thanks to Uber/Lyft.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 2:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
How is it screwing a customer when one purchases a discounted ticket which may only be changed for a fee and is then permitted to change it without a fee?

The entire concept of SDC cannibalizes the refundable/changeable full fare brand. Maybe waive the fare difference for same day changes, but why drop the change fee from $200 to $0?

The guy who has a meeting running late will gladly pay the $200 to catch a later flight because he has to. People doing it for pure convenience will have to make a value judgment.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
How is it screwing a customer when one purchases a discounted ticket which may only be changed for a fee and is then permitted to change it without a fee?

The entire concept of SDC cannibalizes the refundable/changeable full fare brand. Maybe waive the fare difference for same day changes, but why drop the change fee from $200 to $0?

The guy who has a meeting running late will gladly pay the $200 to catch a later flight because he has to. People doing it for pure convenience will have to make a value judgment.
BINGO! We have a winner.

I was done with a broadcast in Hawaii on Friday morning at 4am. I wasn't scheduled to fly out until after 10 p on the red eye. I wanted to go home. Now. Would have paid virtually anything to do it.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 2:41 pm

Programs: delta dm
[QUOTE=bubbashow;25723002]I don't know why it isn't yet understood that DL CLEARLY isn't interested in some types of loyalty. Loyalty does not equal profitability.....ESPECIALLY when the competition has been largely-eliminated.[/QUOTE
Then delta should stop sayings like i have your back sending out letters that say our loyalty is greatly appreciated etc. The loyalty they want is to pretend to have an elite program but not really have one to bait and switch to make more money. It is there right to do it and my right to leave them as a customer. I am voting with my wallet and it has never felt better.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 2:57 pm

I just checked KM and nothing has been changed about the DM exception for SDC. I also haven't seen any memos about it. This is not a 100% thing as I don't get every memo DL issues to reservations.

The original OP probably just got an inexperienced agent as the co-terminal requires a manual reissue, and hasn't ever been programmed into the system to be automatically free.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1

Because like promised free C+ seats, this was a benefit that was promised to GM+ members and taken away towards the end of the benefit year with little notice.

Part of the reason a lot of people buy tickets that fly a lot on the same airline is for things like SDC changes and preferred seating. If you aren't getting any of those benefits then you may as well just fly with the cheapest airline. A lot of PM's and DM's will buy a ticket that cost more on Delta than United or AA because of things like SDC ability and the ability to select better seats.

If I flew United or AA I sure wouldn't expect those benefits since I don't have status.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DLMiddleSeats
I just checked KM and nothing has been changed about the DM exception for SDC. I also haven't seen any memos about it. This is not a 100% thing as I don't get every memo DL issues to reservations.

The original OP probably just got an inexperienced agent as the co-terminal requires a manual reissue, and hasn't ever been programmed into the system to be automatically free.
That's what I'm hoping--the OP had an inexperienced agent. A year or so ago someone was told by an agent that award tickets would no longer be eligible for upgrades and fortunately that was false info. And around the same time someone else started a thread saying they were told Delta was going to use an upgrade system of stickers similar to AA for lower level elites and that never materialized.

But with all the cutbacks Delta has been making lately nothing they do would surprise anymore. They could eliminate upgrades for diamonds or start charging us for exit rows or to select a basic aisle seat and that wouldn't shock me.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by dzflyer
Then delta should stop sayings like i have your back sending out letters that say our loyalty is greatly appreciated etc. The loyalty they want is to pretend to have an elite program but not really have one to bait and switch to make more money. It is there right to do it and my right to leave them as a customer. I am voting with my wallet and it has never felt better.
That is exactly what you should be doing, and I think what DL WANTS many to do. Compete on fare, profit on fees.

Just a bit of advice...don't be so enraptured with advertising slogans. It is just marketing. Many on here have clawed onto a couple of sentences, warped them to their situation, and taken it personally. It's business. Enjoy your flights!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.