Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Seeking advice from the Experts on Bumping!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seeking advice from the Experts on Bumping!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2016, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
None of these could be categorized as "technical problems with the check-in system at the gate."
However they sometimes are required to lie about the reason. Saying there was a technical issue at least makes it sound like there was a reason even if they can't state it.

Finally never have had an issue with KLM/AF issued BP not working for connections. I actually like the KLM BP since all flights are on one BP.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 11:29 am

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Originally Posted by jsk1973
Delta is responsible because a passenger failed to check in, or are you saying Delta is responsible because this is a known glitch for these connections?
The latter. You really don't want to tell Delta the girl failed to check-in because that would be on her. You want to say she had a boarding pass and arrived at the gate early, but was denied boarding.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 11:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Bowgie
The latter. You really don't want to tell Delta the girl failed to check-in because that would be on her. You want to say she had a boarding pass and arrived at the gate early, but was denied boarding.
I've never heard of someone being to get a boarding pass without checking in. Normally having the boarding pass is proof that you did check in, although of course it's possible to check in and not get a boarding pass.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 4:09 pm

Programs: DL FO, BA Bronze, Avis Preferred
I've never has a problem with AF or KLM connections to DL resulting in the boarding passes printed at the outstation or printed during OLCI on the AF/KLM websites not being valid to board my DL flights. In some cases the intraEU flights were DL codeshares but not always.
I've had the issue of a DL to KL connection (on a single ticket) requiring at least half an hour for a KL agent to "fix" before being able to board an intra-EU flight.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 8:47 pm

Programs: None that I am proud of anymore
I've never heard of someone being to get a boarding pass without checking in. Normally having the boarding pass is proof that you did check in, although of course it's possible to check in and not get a boarding pass.
If there was no seat assigned or selected in advance - the boarding pass would be issued "SEAT REQUEST" this allows the individual to pass TSA and go to the gate to await a seat assignment.
Late check-ins where all the remaining unassigned seats are transferred to gate control would result in this.
This is what happens typically with Non-Revs who will not have a seat until the standby list is cleared.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Delta is responsible because a passenger failed to check in, or are you saying Delta is responsible because this is a known glitch for these connections?
Delta is responsible because the passenger was improperly denied boarding.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 10:36 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by sethb
Delta is responsible because the passenger was improperly denied boarding.
This is an assertion, not a fact.

It remains wholly unexplained why Delta would boot a girl off a flight that, by all appearances, wasn't sold out.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
This is an assertion, not a fact.

It remains wholly unexplained why Delta would boot a girl off a flight that, by all appearances, wasn't sold out.
Passenger had a boarding pass.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 12:15 am

Programs: None that I am proud of anymore
Passenger had a boarding pass.
And it was reported earlier that the AF agent "tore it up" destroying the paper trail of receipts.
Totally unacceptable conduct - stamp it cancelled used voided reissued but to tear it up is not the correct thing to do.
Give it back to the customer noted the it was voided; reissued or cancelled but certainly not used something she did not get to do.

It appears that Shenna has a job function at AF - Delta's not the only one in the business.

So she had a boarding pass and all the critical TSA Homeland Security data must have been filed timely - why the denied boarding due to time limits ?
She had a boarding pass and the only disqualifying thing that could have happen is that she did not show up at the gate at the time required.
So the AF agent intercepts her and what happens then is vague and confounding !

Something rotten in the state of Air France.

There is whole lot of unexplained 'explaining to be done' !
Old Feb 8, 2016, 12:28 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by DLERT
And it was reported earlier that the AF agent "tore it up" destroying the paper trail of receipts.
Totally unacceptable conduct - stamp it cancelled used voided reissued but to tear it up is not the correct thing to do.
Give it back to the customer noted the it was voided; reissued or cancelled but certainly not used something she did not get to do.
Not sure about this part. I've had a lot of boarding passes changed, and I can't recall ever having a voided one returned to me.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not sure about this part. I've had a lot of boarding passes changed, and I can't recall ever having a voided one returned to me.
I always get them back when I ask.

Once, the new boarding pass didn't have Pre-check, the original one did.

Several times, the old boarding pass had my baggage claim on it.

They don't bother voiding them; why should they care?

Usually, when I print boarding passes at home, I print two copies. I suppose I should start getting duplicates at the kiosks just in case.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 9:24 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by DLERT
If there was no seat assigned or selected in advance - the boarding pass would be issued "SEAT REQUEST" this allows the individual to pass TSA and go to the gate to await a seat assignment.
Late check-ins where all the remaining unassigned seats are transferred to gate control would result in this.
This is what happens typically with Non-Revs who will not have a seat until the standby list is cleared.
AFAIK this is a seat request card and not a boarding pass. It's an example of having checked in but not having a boarding pass. Another example would be someone who does OLCI, for instance on delta.dumb, and then checks the box to print the boarding pass at the airport or at a kiosk (I forget how it's worded).
Old Feb 8, 2016, 9:25 am

I always get them back when I ask.

Once, the new boarding pass didn't have Pre-check, the original one did.

Several times, the old boarding pass had my baggage claim on it.

They don't bother voiding them; why should they care?

Usually, when I print boarding passes at home, I print two copies. I suppose I should start getting duplicates at the kiosks just in case.
I always print an extra copy too, and I ask for the original boarding pass back if there's a change, but I wouldn't expect a kettle to know to do this.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 10:05 am
Original Poster

a few points on this.
1. the BP was re-issued in GOA at the airport. . She did a a printed BP that she had printed with a seat assignment from the hotel. And she made copies.
2. she had already gone thru TSA-- being she was already in EU. Italy to France.

3. Lastly, Airhelp, has all our documents, stated we have a very, very strong case.

Sorry, yes you guys are right no reason to become a mother bear! She survived.
She immediately had an intensive 3 wk biology research camp the next day, but she had her brain cells intact. No clothes. but alive. Afterall that is what counts.
thanks again
Old Feb 8, 2016, 12:09 pm

Programs: DL G, UA G, IHG SA
People should stop being suspicious of something missing in the story or the girl doing something wrong. DL have already admitted there was a system glitch and didn't blame the passenger, so it is mostly likely their fault. They just refuse to compensate the passenger for it. The case is strong and worth filing a complaint with DOT.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.