Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

SDC while using Regional Upgrade Certificates (RUC) Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 17, 2021, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bgriff
Can I SDC and stay in F/D1 after applying an RUC? Maybe. Most recent data points (please update as information changes):
Via phone / chat agents: Some success, but often requires multiple HUCA and many agents believe the answer is no. Details further down this Wiki about how to guide agents to look in their system if you find a friendly agent, but this information may change.
Via airport agents: Few data points but likely to be the same as phone/chat agents.
Via app SDC function: As of mid 2023, app SDC is altogether broken.
Via web SDC function during check-in: Appears that this may work, with at least one successful data point. Likely the best option right now (as of late 2023). See example of what to look for.
Via same-day standby: No. Upgrade list is cleared before standby list so there would generally be no premium seats left by the time you clear. If normal paid premium cabin SDC rules are followed, standby shouldn't be necessary anyway unless you are trying to get onto a flight that is sold out up front at the time you make the request.

If you need to involve an agent (for example if changing from a nonstop to connecting itinerary or taking advantage of the provision to SDC a first class ticket to any lower cabin with last seat availability), the following information may be useful in guiding the agent to the correct policy:

Originally Posted by Utskicat
I ended up speaking to a someone at the Rates and Reissues desk. They confirmed that KM (Knowledge Management) VERY clearly delineates the difference between complimentary upgrades and Mileage/Upgrade Certificate upgrades. It clearly states that comp upgrades use OU or RU inventory and DO NOT require ticket reissue and no compensation has been collected by Delta thus the SDC is only eligible for ticketed economy class. But Mileage/Upgrade Certificates involve an exchange of value and SDC is allowed if ANY inventory in the premium CABIN (not class) is available. It notes that this is indicated by OY, RY, or SY class and is reissued.

He said to have any agent look in KM under:
“Same-Day Travel Changes (SDT)” page and go to the “Same Day Confirmed: Program Details” section and then scroll down to the “Upgrades” heading. There is cleary lists the different rules for SDC on comp upgrade and "Upgrade Certificate or Mileage"

He said the wording is so clear there should be absolutely no issue with SDC on GUC/RUC. He did note that the verbage in KM is “Upgrade Certificate” not GUC or RUC in that particular area.

He also said that KM clearly states that D1 to FC SDC is allowed (requires manual reissue), but FC to D1 is NOT allowed. He indicated though that since the fare bucket alignment across intl and domestic flights a few years ago, its not immediately apparent to agents the difference between a D1 domestic flight and a FC domestic flight without a few extra clicks and that he sees FC to D1 SDC reissues happen frequently where they shouldn’t.

Print Wikipost

SDC while using Regional Upgrade Certificates (RUC) Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2021, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by El Boocho
2 calls or 1. Ballsy to do both moves on the same call!
Many people would see this as gaming the system. If you are going to game the system, do it smart. You may think it doesn’t matter, but reports from the field where people are finding ways around issues to reach a result delta didn’t intend, will have an effect on policy. I don’t think taking a “legalistic” approach will be effective in the long run, it will just cause the rules to change.
I think most times it was over 2 calls but that was also at a time when even on the DM/PM line you could get through in just a couple minutes. I haven't tried this recently or in the past year when call backs were several hours. Had that been the case, I probably would have done it in one call.
El Boocho likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2021, 10:18 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
sure, they might, but some agents push back on other things that are within policy, like SDCing to any open F seat on a paid ticket, and yet nobody suggests not asking for that.
Sure, but making 2 calls is slightly different qualitatively than not asking at all? Of course that was before COVID-era hold times. If I tried this today I'd probably do it in a single call.
Old Sep 21, 2021, 11:20 am

"if you do things within the rules they might change the rules"

sure, maybe

they might also change the rules even if you don't do those things!

there's no evidence that this is a "result that delta didn't intend."
It's within the letter of the law, but not the spirit.
Sure there's evidence. If Delta intended for you to use a certificate on the initial flight, it would have made seats available. It's clearly a work around. I'm not saying don't do it, I'm saying be smart and don't screw up the current benefits by being stupid because you think you are right and entitled.
I'm 100% sure they will change the rules at some point, but we don't need to hasten that day. Every rule changes at some point. Inline with my experiences chatting and interacting with ATOBTTR, he was thoughtful in his approach regarding this issue.
Old Sep 21, 2021, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by JCWCVG
Wow. Good info. I was told before by multiple agents that SDC is one time thing.
I have SDC'd multiple times w/o a problem. Sounds like you ran into some improperly trained agents.
Old Sep 21, 2021, 11:42 am

sure, they might, but some agents push back on other things that are within policy, like SDCing to any open F seat on a paid ticket, and yet nobody suggests not asking for that.
Why would they? As it relates to paid premium tickets, the SDC policy and benefit is very clearly laid out on Delta.com. If you are talking about SDC on a ticket upgraded using a certificate, it becomes less obvious. You should still be able to do it, but if you find a clueless agent, arguing with them is much less likely to produce a positive result. The main reason being the language on Delta.com does not explicitly include RUC upgraded tickets. It is implicit based on the statement that complimentary medallion upgrades are excluded. Once upon a time it was explicit in the reference materials available to agents, but they had to dig to find it. An agent sent me a copy and paste of the language, but it was in an old system that I understand they now no longer use. HUCA or just call Singapore for RUC related issues. They seemed to be trained well on this issue.
Old Sep 21, 2021, 3:58 pm

It's within the letter of the law, but not the spirit.
Sure there's evidence. If Delta intended for you to use a certificate on the initial flight, it would have made seats available.
But what I'm suggesting isn't "to use a certificate on the initial flight" and is in fact to use it on the flight that has seats available.

The violation of the spirit of the rules is just something you've imagined for some reason I don't understand..
Old Sep 21, 2021, 3:58 pm

I have SDC'd multiple times w/o a problem. Sounds like you ran into some improperly trained agents.
idk man that might be against the spirit of the rules, be careful or they'll take it away
Old Sep 21, 2021, 4:20 pm

Why would they? As it relates to paid premium tickets, the SDC policy and benefit is very clearly laid out on Delta.com.
and yet, this message board is littered with reports from people who have had trouble doing this
Old Sep 26, 2021, 6:35 am

Just as a datapoint, I ran into an agent today while doing an SDC on a flight with a companion that had confirmed RUCs with tickets reissued, and this agent was a rules stickler (would not waive the $75 fee for the non-status companion to SDC, and even "checked" to verify the rules), and did not blink at all at SDCing to flights that absolutely did not have RUC upgrade inventory (I had already HUCA'd since the first agent I got was obviously new and was convinced we needed upgrade space).
Old Sep 26, 2021, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jrl767
I’m thinking my experience with the “two-step” — and that exact logic — was back when you could still SDC paid F to D1

I was able to get a PM agent to add a segment (most likely DCA-MSP-SEA to DCA-ATL-LAX-SEA) and then change the routing to DCA-JFK-LAX-SEA
Unless something has changed again, they eliminated the language prohibiting no SDC F->D1. (I want to say around when we got free DoD upgrades on domestic D1 routes)

In fact I did SDC in app from OAK-SLC-JFK paid F to OAK-LAX-JFK this summer.
Old Oct 10, 2021, 8:08 pm

Have a nonstop tomorrow, confirmed RUC at booking and ticket reissued.

Trying to SDC to an earlier flight with a connection through ATL to get in earlier, all of the earlier flights from my origin to ATL are completely sold out. Try to SDS, of course that doesn't work since the routing is changing. Try to SDC to a later flight through ATL with the connection I want so I can SDS to the earlier flight, agent won't let me claiming that I can't SDC from a non-stop to a connecting itinerary. HUCA, 1 hour 30 minute call back time.

Call singapore, agent won't let me SDC into F (Y is sold out on the flight). HUCA, get same answer from 2nd singapore agent.

Of course this morning all of the flights had tons of seats, I think people coming from cancelled Southwest flights are sucking up all the seats.
Old Oct 10, 2021, 8:29 pm

Got the callback from the 1.5 hour quote hold time. This guy gave me a new one, he agrees that with a confirmed RUC I can SDC into any F seat, but he's saying that since there's no Y seat available on the flights I want, the system won't let him SDC me (he says he can only SDC me into a Y seat, and THEN confirm the upgrade into F, which sounds... bogus?)
Old Oct 10, 2021, 10:55 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Marriot Gold
Got the callback from the 1.5 hour quote hold time. This guy gave me a new one, he agrees that with a confirmed RUC I can SDC into any F seat, but he's saying that since there's no Y seat available on the flights I want, the system won't let him SDC me (he says he can only SDC me into a Y seat, and THEN confirm the upgrade into F, which sounds... bogus?)
that’s stupid. If that’s really the case, they can “oversell” Y for all of 5 seconds in order to confirm you. I’d keep pushing.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 4:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
It is bogus. The system has to be overridden for a lot of F SDC. While what you want is allowed it only works automatically if the same fare classes (most F fares use dual inventory) are available. Agent just needs to override.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 7:32 am

Anyway, it worked out, was able to make an SDC this morning and currently sitting in F en route to SLC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.