Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thirsty in C+, LAX-ATL

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2015, 11:05 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by andymo99
Look above your head for something that looks like this

Problem solved!

Old Jul 2, 2015, 12:48 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Almost an hour into my ATL-PBI flight in row 2 and just got offered a beverage (Md 90) and no PDB either (late catering).

Snack basket was brought by first. Never understood being offered food before beverage.

So thirsty.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 1:08 pm

Programs: United - PG, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by apodo77
Almost an hour into my ATL-PBI flight in row 2 and just got offered a beverage (Md 90) and no PDB either (late catering).

Snack basket was brought by first. Never understood being offered food before beverage.

So thirsty.
That's a prime example of FAs being purposefully lazy. It's the "no time for a refill" method.

If the FAs really wanted to provide great service they would have taken the orders on the ground and then started beverage service as soon as they were able. Then snack basket. Then refills.

I wonder if they think pax don't notice, or if they just don't care.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 1:29 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by houserulz77
That's a prime example of FAs being purposefully lazy. It's the "no time for a refill" method.

If the FAs really wanted to provide great service they would have taken the orders on the ground and then started beverage service as soon as they were able. Then snack basket. Then refills.

I wonder if they think pax don't notice, or if they just don't care.
It's a valid question. Even with the late catering the taxi was close to 30 minutes. Plenty of time to take orders on the ground.

As an FYI I fly DL and AA and find the overall service on DL quite good.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 1:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First

So thirsty.
That drives me crazy
Old Jul 2, 2015, 1:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold

So thirsty.
I've heard PBI is the most hated destination among air crews. Perhaps that had something to do with it.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 1:49 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver

So thirsty.
Funny. I've never figured out the reverse. I always thought they should serve snax first - then drinx, to quench your thirst from the snax!
Old Jul 2, 2015, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by Navig8R
I love how complaining to Delta is an automatic response. While service could very well be suffering in some cases, as others have pointed out, weather could've delayed drink service as the FA's must remain seated. This exact thing happened to me yesterday on my SLC-BWI flight. When will traveler's learn to have a contingency plan? If you can't go an hour without a drink or a blueberry muffin from the snack basket, bring your own. Weather, delays, bad service happens. Prepare accordingly.
Yet when that bad service happens, with exception to good reasons of the FA's being seated, it should be communicated to Delta. People are paying for this upgrade and expect a certain level of service above regular economy. I'd blame it on a lack of standardized training/procedures for all FA's in the C+category. That would explain the difference in service on my flights, which none had turbulence on that required the pilot to ask the FA's to remain seated.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 3:34 pm

I love how complaining to Delta is an automatic response. While service could very well be suffering in some cases, as others have pointed out, weather could've delayed drink service as the FA's must remain seated. This exact thing happened to me yesterday on my SLC-BWI flight. When will traveler's learn to have a contingency plan? If you can't go an hour without a drink or a blueberry muffin from the snack basket, bring your own. Weather, delays, bad service happens. Prepare accordingly.
I wouldn't call it a "complaint." I think "feedback" is a better word. A friendly solution to this feedback could be Flight Attendants making an announcement when they aren't expecting drink service for a while. Something like "We'd love to begin serving beverages, but for safety we need to stay seated for X minutes. Thanks."

Even when providing feedback won't get a drink any sooner, it brings up a perceived customer service failure to the company's attention, and the company can close the perceived gap in service by having employees communicate more about why the service isn't provided promptly. I hope that makes sense.
I bet the OP might be more peeved that the FAs said nothing as to why the drinks took so long than the fact that the drinks took so long. If the FAs gave a reason instead of being silent, maybe this thread wouldn't exist. pure speculation of course
Old Jul 2, 2015, 5:19 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, DL GM, Marriott LTP
Originally Posted by Widgets
I wouldn't call it a "complaint." I think "feedback" is a better word.
Originally Posted by BenC2000
Make a complaint with Delta
I was referring specifically to this post.

Originally Posted by Widgets
If the FAs gave a reason instead of being silent, maybe this thread wouldn't exist. pure speculation of course
One would think. But wouldn't it also make sense for the OP to actually ask the FA's of the flight he is on, why he hasn't received beverage service?
Old Jul 2, 2015, 5:21 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, DL GM, Marriott LTP
Originally Posted by BenC2000
Yet when that bad service happens, with exception to good reasons of the FA's being seated, it should be communicated to Delta. People are paying for this upgrade and expect a certain level of service above regular economy. I'd blame it on a lack of standardized training/procedures for all FA's in the C+category. That would explain the difference in service on my flights, which none had turbulence on that required the pilot to ask the FA's to remain seated.
I agree, but aside from the OP saying he is thirsty an hour into his flight, providing no other information, why do you automatically suggest that he complain to Delta? It would be nice if people waited for facts first before they started placing blame.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 5:59 pm

I was referring specifically to this post.

One would think. But wouldn't it also make sense for the OP to actually ask the FA's of the flight he is on, why he hasn't received beverage service?
I was thinking generally, not specifically to you on the complaint vs. feedback comment.
The OP should totally ask an FA about the drink service if he wants to know, but I'd consider it superior customer service when an employee perceives a customer need and answers/solves the question before the customer asks it (instead of waiting to be asked).

Consider these two situations. They're both good CS, but I think one is better than the other:

You walk up to a ticket counter agent that you see weekly. She knows who you are.
  1. She waits for you to get to the counter before greeting you. She asks how many bags, and if you need boarding passes. Your answer's the same every week. She thanks you and you're on your way after about a minute.
  2. She greets you as you walk toward her. She notices you're carrying one large bag, so she starts printing the tag before you get to her. She sees the BP on your phone, so she thanks you and the 5-second stop at the desk is done.

#1 she did everything she's supposed to do and was very polite. It was all by the book. #2 she anticipated your needs and respecting the value of your time, proactively got you through the counter process quickly.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 6:16 am
Original Poster

Location: Birmingham, AL (weekdays) and Atlanta, GA (weekends)
Programs: DL Platinum Medallion
I was flying a 767. Weather was a non-issue. I was on the front row of C+ and watched the business section get their drinks (and food) before anyone gave a thought to us peons, so it didn't seem to stem from a pilot/weather order.

I somehow survived these travails and have gone on to something resembling normal life.

Seriously, evaluating a non c+ aisle vs a c+ window for my upcoming trip and wondering if it's worth the trouble. You're right - maybe a spot for my overhead bag is the only real benefit.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 6:20 am

Programs: Delta Plat, one-time United Plat, Amex Plat, Marriott Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, Bus Pass
A paying customer is more deserving of a drink than a hereditary monarch!
Old Jul 5, 2015, 1:45 pm

Programs: AA 2MM, DL D360
I've been flying DL a lot this year (I've achieved a Gold status match and almost hit 2016 Platinum in 6 months of flying). I've noticed that their economy drink service on longer flights is really lacking compared to AS. They often manage the service as the OP described - long waits for the first service and often no full second service; just coffee and water. AS brings the carts out as soon as it's safe to do so, then picks up trash right after, and then brings the carts out again. On a 2-hour flight, they always do two full beverage services, and on longer flights they do three.

Guess I'll have to just get to Diamond so I get upgraded more often on DL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.