Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SAS Christmas Sale

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2003, 5:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
SAS Christmas Sale

Each year, SAS has had a advent calendar sale between its US gateways and various European cities it flies to/from. Each day from December 1st through Christmas Eve, another window opens and destination is revealed. If you want to book a sale-priced ticket to that city, the link will take you to the booking engine.

Last year the fare was US$259 from east of the Mississippi, US$349 [I think] west, plus taxes/fees, which still made it an affordable way of getting to these cities over the winter [last departure was mid-March I believe]. However, you must get yourself to the US gateway -- EWR, ORD, IAD and SEA -- so that cost must be considered.

Flights earn Aeroplan miles, and SAS economy is not that bad: reasonable pitch, seat back IFE screens, new A330 and A340 aircraft [but a few aging 767s]; single entree, no choice; free full bar; eye shades, ear plugs and tooth brushes provided in amenity kit.

If you are interested, sign up using this link:

http://campaign.scandinavian.net/christmas2003/us/

You'll also have to go to the SAS site and set up an account for your booking. No need to join their FF program though, as you can input your Aeroplan number when setting up the account. You will also notice their American-tricity, and thus will only find "USA" in the drop down, as well as "state" when filling out your address. However, it will take a Canadian postal code and don't worry about the "USA" thing, they catch it in ticketing.

Last year I did Warsaw and Madrid. A few others also took advantage of this offer, and maybe can share their thoughts, experiences.
Old Nov 27, 2003, 6:28 am

Location: AC Million Miler & long time SE; StarwoodPlat for 10+ yrs & lifetime Gold; Hilton Honours Diamond; IC Ambassador; AMEX Plat;Avis Presidents Club; Airmiles GOLD; and just about everything else!
Programs: aeroplan & 25+year loyalty
Yippie, here we go! Thanks SH.
Old Nov 27, 2003, 6:31 am

Location: AC Million Miler & long time SE; StarwoodPlat for 10+ yrs & lifetime Gold; Hilton Honours Diamond; IC Ambassador; AMEX Plat;Avis Presidents Club; Airmiles GOLD; and just about everything else!
Programs: aeroplan & 25+year loyalty
Strange, I cannot register. Site not found after I complete the form and hit send! Perhaps systems are overloaded.

Cheerieo, on 868 today!
Old Nov 27, 2003, 6:59 am

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, LH SEN *, HH Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Shareholder:
new A330 and A340 aircraft [but a few aging 767s.</font>
The last 767 was retired some weeks ago, all transatlantic flights are now with A330/340, the oldest of which was delivered in summer 2001. 31AB and GH are exit row seats with unlimited leg room. 21AB and GH also have additional leg room (not bulkhead). 22 CDEF and 32 CDEF are bulkhead seats with some extra room (but no seat in front to stick feet or luggage under).

Enjoy your runs!

------------------
The Star Alliance Award Comparison Chart
Old Nov 27, 2003, 7:06 am

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, LH SEN *, HH Gold
A few more things:

Last couple of years, 1-23 December you have been able to book only the destination offered that particular day. 24 December the whole "calendar" has opened up with all destinations bookable (if there is still availability, of course). No guarantee it will work the same way this year, though.

You are no longer required to set up an account to buy tickets on the SAS web site.

------------------
The Star Alliance Award Comparison Chart
Old Nov 27, 2003, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Thanks for the update on the fleet, HV. I purposely kept that bit on the 24th a secret, to be revealed on the 1st when the new promo started. Not sure why the site is not responding, unless it is something to do with the link being personalized when it was sent to me in an email. Those who have participated in the past will likely get a personal email in the next day or so. If this does not work, I suggest going to the SAS website and just registering for email notices of promos, etc. That should get you the December 1st one, and subsequent ones.
Old Nov 27, 2003, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Do you remember what the max / min stay rules are?
Old Nov 27, 2003, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I believe there was just a Saturday overnight, if that. Just recall it made for some nice three-day weekends in Europe to take advantage of weekend hotel rates and promotions. Definitely did not require 7-days.
Old Nov 27, 2003, 9:24 pm

If I recall correctly (& I may not ) it was $350USD net ($249US + tax) from SEA --&gt; Europe. MPC1, Alero, & I took advantage of 'em last year & are planning on SAS Run'ing again.

Mind & pack your woolies 'cuz Lithuania is cold in Jan & Feb!

Cheers. Dogstar.

PS. Given a choice I'm hoping for some decent non-6-day-min UA SIN fares instead. It's warmer!

[This message has been edited by Dogstar (edited Nov 27, 2003).]
Old Nov 27, 2003, 9:31 pm

I'm going to be on the west coast in January. Depending on your schedule, I might be up for this. You guys have room for an extra runner?
Old Nov 27, 2003, 9:47 pm

Location: Usually on a ship looking for oil and gas; Uruguay, Malaysia, Turkey, Nigeria, Libya, Egypt, Norway, Scotland, India, Congo & Angola, next project who knows? Agreed to CC rules
Programs: AC Altitude E75K/*G, AS MVP, AF/KLM Petroleum Club, BA Blue
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by YYZC2:
I'm going to be on the west coast in January. Depending on your schedule, I might be up for this. You guys have room for an extra runner?</font>
YYZC2

Always room for one more. Right now we're looking at the Feb 7th and/or Feb 21st weekends, but we may consider one weekend in Jan too.

Dogstar will likely coordinate our choice of destinations and flights and we'll independantly book them.

mpc1

edited cause I didn't fully read your post before replying to it

[This message has been edited by mpc1 (edited Nov 27, 2003).]
Old Nov 27, 2003, 9:49 pm

Location: Usually on a ship looking for oil and gas; Uruguay, Malaysia, Turkey, Nigeria, Libya, Egypt, Norway, Scotland, India, Congo & Angola, next project who knows? Agreed to CC rules
Programs: AC Altitude E75K/*G, AS MVP, AF/KLM Petroleum Club, BA Blue
dup

[This message has been edited by mpc1 (edited Nov 27, 2003).]
Old Nov 28, 2003, 1:00 am
Company Representative - Air Canada

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Dogstar:
PS. Given a choice I'm hoping for some decent non-6-day-min UA SIN fares instead. It's warmer!</font>
They are already available for travel over the first few months in 2004. It's booked by Dec 10. BKK is cheaper though and also a more interesting place to go IMO!
Old Nov 28, 2003, 5:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

After a half-dozen SIN Runs, I'd have to agree with EMPRESS. Though one can always hop over to someplace else nearby for a few days. But if BKK is now cheaper...and the Starwoods there still treat their Plats well...maybe it's worth the diversion. Maybe 100,000Miler can comment as his last MR was to BKK. And of course, Seanthepilot can always be our guide. [Sailaway will be booking it in Montreal all winter...no time with that SQ Run I suspect.]
Old Nov 28, 2003, 10:26 am

I did 2 of these SAS deals last year, Vilnius and Tallinn. Vilnius has a nice contract lounge that *gold can use.
Tallinn-CPH was operated by Estonian Air. You get the points but not the lounge access. The temperatures for both trips ranged from -10C to -20C. There are a few museums open but other than that not much to do.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.