Community
Wiki Posts
Search

717 headroom

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2015, 9:25 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by BiggAW
Very funny. Southwest serves all CONUS cities that warrant commercial air service.
So according to that logic, Cincinnati is a podunk town not deserving of its own airport because Southwest doesn't fly there.

Mmmmkay. What would Venus Flytrap or Dr. Johnny Fever say about that?

And I guess they shouldn't have put that big Airbus plant in Mobile, Alabama because not only isn't it a worthy airport, it's also not building 737s, which are the only true airplane?

This will not make Airbus corporate happy if they have to fly into Pensacola on WN and then drive another hour and a half to the main plant.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 9:26 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Where is that? They serve the entire lower 48 except for parts of Montana and North Dakota.
That just isn't true. WN does not fly to any location in Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, or Wyoming. They don't. DL serves these states from their SLC and/or MSP hubs. UA serves them from their DEN hub.

While these cities are too small for the WN model of service, DL and UA do a good job making money on these routes with their connection partners. Heck, DL is sending full sized mainline planes to places like BZN on a regular basis now.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 9:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: RapidRewards, SkyPesos, whatever flies where I want to go.
Originally Posted by gooselee
For the rest of us, we need regional airports that are often served by smaller planes and airlines other than WN.
No one NEEDS regional airports.

Originally Posted by kettle1
Let me put a few places that I flew or my staff flew over the past few months that WN does not serve: PSP, BIL, BZN, COD, FAR, GJT, SUN, JAC, LWS, GCC, MSN, ANC, CVG, HLN, MED, IAD. That is just a fraction of the cities. How about Tyler, Texas and Wichita Falls, TX.
WN serves PSP with quite literally 5 airports in Burbank, LAX, Ontario, Orange County, and San Diego. It looks like Ontario is the best one. You are correct in that WN doesn't serve BIL or the next few. It has mainline service from DL, as does BZN, although the prices appear to be insanity from a quick Orbitz search. COD is probably the definition of BFE, although it is served by mainline DL out of BIL. FAR has mainline DL. GJT is equidistant from the DL hub at SLC and the WN hub at DEN. I've looked at going to the D&S, and it's near nothing. It's a good drive from either DEN or Albuquerque, depending on what else I want to see with it. Amtrak serves GJT, but it's slower than driving. SUN has WN service at Boise. JAC is BFE, but is served by the DL hub at SLC and WN at SLC. LWS has WN at Spokane. GCC is served by DL mainline out of Billings. MSN is served out of MKE on WN. MSN was actually part of the genius (or map-reading skills) of WN. They realized that instead of operating out of MSN and GRB, they could efficiently consolidate operations at MKE, and they just sucked the wind right out of the other carriers in that whole market. I never claimed WN went to Alaska, AS and AA both offer mainline service to ANC, and no one flies regional to there from the lower 48 anyway. WN serves CVG via Dayton and Louisville, and other airlines must have mainline service there. HLN is Billings again. MED is in Saudi Arabia, ... does that have to do with US regional airlines? WN goes to IAD. Tyler, TX is served out of the mega-cluster**** mega hub at DFW, as well as WN at Love Field. Witchita Falls is served equally by Oklahoma City and Love Field.

Finally tally:

Have WN service: 9
Aren't even in the CONUS: 2
Have DL Mainline service and are in BFE: 6

You skewed that heavily by picking a bunch of places in BFE that are in the one part of the country that I have already acknowledged is NOT served by WN, because there's nothing there to serve.

WN is a fine carrier, but they mainly serve kettles and that is great. Like I said, time is money and WN overall does not work for me or my staff. For you, WN sounds great. WN works for me from LAS as it is the #2 hub for WN.
Kettles?

OP: Do you use the US Postal system? It works, thanks to airlines - including WN. UPS and Fed EX do not deliver to certain areas of the USA - the US post office does. They deliver to every address in the USA even in small towns that the OP says does not deserve air service. I can send a letter to Key West, FL from LAS and it usually arrives within 2 days. That is for less than 50 cents - thanks to airlines flying small planes and serving small places.
I do use the USPS on the occasion that I am forced to feet kicking and dragging. Based on the delivery speeds I've seen, I think they use horses and buggies. Maybe stagecoaches. Or maybe a tractor with a wagon behind it for the express service.

How would regional service affect mail that flies LAS-MIA or some similar major route?
Old Apr 20, 2015, 9:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by beachmouse
So according to that logic, Cincinnati is a podunk town not deserving of its own airport because Southwest doesn't fly there.
It's served out of Dayton and Lousiville. BOS didn't have WN for a long time either, but they still served that market very well via PVD and MHT.

And I guess they shouldn't have put that big Airbus plant in Mobile, Alabama because not only isn't it a worthy airport, it's also not building 737s, which are the only true airplane?
Where an airplane manufacturer, military base, or cargo flights go is irrelevant. They aren't passenger service. Airbus is OK. But I have a strong preference for the American-made Boeing planes, and for all-Boeing airlines.

This will not make Airbus corporate happy if they have to fly into Pensacola on WN and then drive another hour and a half to the main plant.
So Pensacola is served by WN. However, they probably wouldn't fly WN anyway, since WN is an all-Boeing airline. The irony is that DL appears to fly only Boeing and McDonnell Douglass aircraft to Pensacola. That's worth a laugh!

Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
That just isn't true. WN does not fly to any location in Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, or Wyoming. They don't. DL serves these states from their SLC and/or MSP hubs. UA serves them from their DEN hub.

While these cities are too small for the WN model of service, DL and UA do a good job making money on these routes with their connection partners. Heck, DL is sending full sized mainline planes to places like BZN on a regular basis now.
Let's get the old map out. I said they don't serve parts of Montana and North Dakota. BIL and BZN are the aggregation points, although I'm not sure if BZN is reasonably priced, I'm not going to go and try to figure it out, since I may just be hitting bad dates. I guess technically, there are parts of Wyoming and South Dakota that they don't serve, although they serve a good portion of South Dakota out of Omaha, and a good portion of Wyoming out of DEN.

I don't think any of those cities are economical to serve, so they probably have absurd ticket prices, except for maybe BIL as an aggregation point for DL mainline, even that might be a stretch.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 9:46 pm
Original Poster

Totally misread the Airbus plant thing. DL flies mainline to Mobile with the 717 fleet. The irony is still pretty funny though!
Old Apr 20, 2015, 9:54 pm

No one NEEDS regional airports.

WN serves PSP with quite literally 5 airports in Burbank, LAX, Ontario, Orange County, and San Diego. It looks like Ontario is the best one. You are correct in that WN doesn't serve BIL or the next few. It has mainline service from DL, as does BZN, although the prices appear to be insanity from a quick Orbitz search. COD is probably the definition of BFE, although it is served by mainline DL out of BIL. FAR has mainline DL. GJT is equidistant from the DL hub at SLC and the WN hub at DEN. I've looked at going to the D&S, and it's near nothing. It's a good drive from either DEN or Albuquerque, depending on what else I want to see with it. Amtrak serves GJT, but it's slower than driving. SUN has WN service at Boise. JAC is BFE, but is served by the DL hub at SLC and WN at SLC. LWS has WN at Spokane. GCC is served by DL mainline out of Billings. MSN is served out of MKE on WN. MSN was actually part of the genius (or map-reading skills) of WN. They realized that instead of operating out of MSN and GRB, they could efficiently consolidate operations at MKE, and they just sucked the wind right out of the other carriers in that whole market. I never claimed WN went to Alaska, AS and AA both offer mainline service to ANC, and no one flies regional to there from the lower 48 anyway. WN serves CVG via Dayton and Louisville, and other airlines must have mainline service there. HLN is Billings again. MED is in Saudi Arabia, ... does that have to do with US regional airlines? WN goes to IAD. Tyler, TX is served out of the mega-cluster**** mega hub at DFW, as well as WN at Love Field. Witchita Falls is served equally by Oklahoma City and Love Field.
People who live in small cities need regional airports. If you fly a lot, you want an airport convenient to both your origin and destination. Otherwise, you're wasting your time driving to and from airports. Business travelers have better things to do than go on long road trips.

If I have a conference or business in PSP, I'm not flying into LAX, BUR, SAN, or SNA and driving along I-10 to Palm Springs. I might consider ONT.

If I want to go skiing at Jackson Hole, I'm flying into JAC, not spending a day behind the wheel driving from DEN so I can fly WN. I have better things to do with my time.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
You're not using OP logic. Those four states are all within a 15 hour driving radius of a WN destination, therefore they are "well-served" by deluxe 737 service.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 9:58 pm

Let's get the old map out. I said they don't serve parts of Montana and North Dakota. BIL and BZN are the aggregation points, although I'm not sure if BZN is reasonably priced, I'm not going to go and try to figure it out, since I may just be hitting bad dates. I guess technically, there are parts of Wyoming and South Dakota that they don't serve, although they serve a good portion of South Dakota out of Omaha, and a good portion of Wyoming out of DEN.

I don't think any of those cities are economical to serve, so they probably have absurd ticket prices, except for maybe BIL as an aggregation point for DL mainline, even that might be a stretch.
Who drives 3 hours from Sioux Falls to Omaha to catch a flight? I'll take a connection at MSP over that.

WN serves NOTHING in South Dakota or Wyoming. Heck, they don't serve Vermont either. Look at their map. Here, I even linked it.
https://www.southwest.com/flight/routemap_dyn.html
Old Apr 20, 2015, 10:01 pm

You're not using OP logic. Those four states are all within a 15 hour driving radius of a WN destination, therefore they are "well-served" by deluxe 737 service.
I guess that's a definition of well served. Just not mine or most everyone else's.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 10:26 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
I am done with this troll thread.

I pointed out facts that my company deals with daily. WN works for some on certain routes. I gave a dozen or more routes that WN does not serve. If the OP is retired, fine take a train or bus. I have a business to run and time is money, for myself and staff. We fly to the cities/towns we need to get to.

I always fly WN LAS-RNO as it is the only non-stop (except Allegiant 2 days a week).

OP only answers what suits his agenda. Small towns are very important for my business. The U.S. postal system is as well. UPS does a great job as well. 99.9% of my packages/letters get delivered in 2-4 days, depending on what postage I pay.

Happy and safe travels.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 6:07 am

Programs: DL DM PM
Oh wow, aren't you so special? What rinky-dink airport are you flying out of? The problem is, for every one of you, there's 10 people who have to be cost-conscious and drive, and another 10 who live in the major markets. What makes you think that you're so special that your planes should be able to clog up the rest of the system for the vast majority of travelers flying out of medium- and large-sized markets?
I'm not special at all. I'm part of a market. A LARGE market of people who want to fly from regional airports. You're also part of a market. The current system serves both of us.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 6:48 am

Programs: DL DM
But we could go 'round and 'round 'til the cows come home, and none of it will make a difference. None of the ideas you propose are anywhere close to being realistic, and you reject any facts that help to explain current realities.
Agree. And yet everyone continues to argue with this guy as though he’s finally going to say, “You know? You’re right…I was wrong.”

Fairly civilized discussion here considering the back and forth, so I’m not sure I’ll “IBTL” this one, but this thread has certainly outlived its usefulness…
Old Apr 21, 2015, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by AJDelvarno
Agree. And yet everyone continues to argue with this guy as though he’s finally going to say, “You know? You’re right…I was wrong.”

Fairly civilized discussion here considering the back and forth, so I’m not sure I’ll “IBTL” this one, but this thread has certainly outlived its usefulness…
Practical usefulness, sure. But still some marginal entertainment value in here.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 8:27 am
pkk

Programs: DL DM, Hilton DIA, Wyndham DIA, IHG Spire AMB
maybe the answer to his original question is no.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 10:34 am

Programs: Delta Gold
WN doesn't serve MS anymore either. People in JAN would now be looking at 3 hours to either MSY, BHM, or MEM. DL flies 717s and MD88s there though, so not sure if that means it's exempt or still worthless.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.