Community
Wiki Posts
Search

717 headroom

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2015, 6:46 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by BiggAW

What does a seat assignment have to do with knee-jamming? DL is typically 31", WN and AS are 32". Yeah, I actually thought about doing early bird for an upcoming trip, but then I reminded myself that it's a waste and I'll just snipe the check-ins like I always do. I have so far, stuck to my principle of not paying one red cent more than I absolutely have to for the flight/time/airline that I want. I'll let other suckers subsidize my seat with their in-flight food and alcoholic beverages and wifi and early check-ins and all of that unnecessary crap. I thank them for their wastefulness, because it keeps me moving where I want to go at the minimum cost.

And yet you won't fly NK, contradicting your statement that you will pay only rock bottom pricing. If you were honest about that statement, you'd use them the next time their route fit your needs and post a picture of the boarding pass because as the saying does 'pix or it never happened.'

Me, I'll gladly pay for Delta's C+ and be guaranteed a nice 35" seat pitch on long haul instead of having to take my chances with WN. There are other areas of my travel budget I'll cut before cutting let room.

The world is looking at us and thinking how dumb we are, because as usual, we aren't doing anything right. They're wondering why DL doesn't have A380's, even though they have just about everything else that Boeing and Airbus make. Also, we have flights from here to other countries. The world doesn't really matter to WN, as outside of Mexico City, they don't fly to any big destinations outside the US. It does to everyone else, who flies to other airports worldwide.

I had the BBC on earlier and they were talking about the anniversary of the 380 and its relative failure because on routes like NYC-LHR, flyers would rather have 6 daily flight options for the route than 2 daily flights on the 380. The market has spoken and declared the plane to be too big to be useful for the needs of most current airlines.

Same reason why WN uses the 737 instead of a bigger bird for their short haul routes.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by beachmouse
I had the BBC on earlier and they were talking about the anniversary of the 380 and its relative failure because on routes like NYC-LHR, flyers would rather have 6 daily flight options for the route than 2 daily flights on the 380. The market has spoken and declared the plane to be too big to be useful for the needs of most current airlines.
This. And it applies even more on busy US-domestic routes. I currently commute up and down the east coast week to week.

On WN, unless I'm flying to BWI, I usually only have two flights a day in either direction - one morning, one early afternoon. On the return, my client generally doesn't want me leaving the office at noon, so WN's schedule doesn't work.

But give me a DL, UA, or AA, and suddenly I get 8-10 or more flights a day to pick from. Not only can I book flights that make sense for my schedule and which will make my clients happy, but I have the flexibility to switch flights to meet the needs and opportunities of the moment.

Just last week, I was booked on a 7pm flight home, but had a meeting wrap up early, sailed through traffic, and caught the rental car shuttle just as it was leaving for the terminal, putting me at the airport in time for a 5:15pm flight instead (and 6pm, had I missed that one). As a bonus, the 7pm flight ended up being slightly delayed after a thunderstorm moved in that evening, so I won back even more time.

While it seems that OP wouldn't mind sitting around a random airport for another 2 hours, that schedule flexibility meant I got to get home and have dinner with Mrs. Lee that evening rather than scarfing down a nasty airport burrito and schlepping into my house when everyone else is halfway to bed.

Sorry, OP, but that 2 hours of my life is worth a very great deal to me. I can make all the money in the world, but I cannot make more time.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 8:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: RapidRewards, SkyPesos, whatever flies where I want to go.
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
DL is doing this by crunching the non C+ seats a little bit tighter. The difference is less than an inch.
God. Are they trying to be more hated? What are they going to 30" pitch now? That's just ridiculous! It proves that it's just a racket. Steal legroom and sell it back at a higher price. Just like the mafia!

By the same toke, a runway full of A380's is much more efficient than 737's. If an airline would create an all Y A380, it would be the pinnacle of efficiency.
The A380 needs long routes to make sense. We're not at the congestion point where we need planes that big, but I think it would make sense for all US-LHR flights, and probably US-CDG flights to be A380's. I know there are some JFK-CDG flights that are using AF A380's, and maybe a few others. I do think it would make sense for an all-economy A380 to fly between some combinations, including domestic, of JFK/ATL/DTW/IAD, CDG/LHR, and SFO/LAX. The benefits would really be in capacity at airports like LHR and CDG, since even airports like JFK and IAD would have more than enough capacity if they were properly managed, with JFK being de-hubbed, and both only accepting 143 seat plus aircraft.

Originally Posted by gooselee
The thought of this gives me the willies. Seeing the middle Y section of a 747 or 380 lower deck can be downright creepy, especially when they're configured 10-across or whatever the max is.
Why creepy? It's too bad that airlines aren't ordering the 853 person A380 configuration. The 747 can already carry 605 when properly configured.

Airbus is going to offering 11-across, not sure if they could do that on the entire plane, or if that would go over the 853 that it's certified for.

Originally Posted by beachmouse
And yet you won't fly NK, contradicting your statement that you will pay only rock bottom pricing. If you were honest about that statement, you'd use them the next time their route fit your needs and post a picture of the boarding pass because as the saying does 'pix or it never happened.'
They don't really offer anything that's useful to me. If I'm going to the west coast or internationally, it's sometimes worth it to go to JFK/LGA, but for shorter trips, if I add the cost to travel there plus the ticket, it doesn't make sense. Besides, I don't fit in NK's 28" seat pitch. I'm glad they're doing what they're doing, but it doesn't work for people of my height. I need the roominess of WN.

Me, I'll gladly pay for Delta's C+ and be guaranteed a nice 35" seat pitch on long haul instead of having to take my chances with WN. There are other areas of my travel budget I'll cut before cutting let room.
WN has adequate legroom on all their planes. They're all just about the same, with slight variations between the various 737 flavors they fly.

That's not the market, that's stubborn American carriers like DL. AF and others have embraced the fewer, larger flights model, which is why there are a number of US cities with A380 service, just not by a US carrier.

Same reason why WN uses the 737 instead of a bigger bird for their short haul routes.
Not really. The 737 is the sweet spot, that's why there are more 737's than anything else in the world. They can get into a lot of airports larger planes can't, and they scale up and down well. Domestic hour flights are a different animal than flying from here to Europe or even nonstop transcons (although WN has a few of those, I'll be doing SEA-BWI to connect to BWI-BDL in a few weeks). The 737 is also getting bigger (longer), and WN will be following that trend to keep an all-737 fleet, but use the variations to provide varying levels of service as various cities demand.

Originally Posted by gooselee
On WN, unless I'm flying to BWI, I usually only have two flights a day in either direction - one morning, one early afternoon.
And? Apparently that exactly route doesn't demand more than 2 flights a day.

But give me a DL, UA, or AA, and suddenly I get 8-10 or more flights a day to pick from. Not only can I book flights that make sense for my schedule and which will make my clients happy, but I have the flexibility to switch flights to meet the needs and opportunities of the moment.
On what, rinky-dink POS little planes? 2 flights a day is more than adequate. They're scheduled anyway, so figure it out from there.

Just last week, I was booked on a 7pm flight home, but had a meeting wrap up early, sailed through traffic, and caught the rental car shuttle just as it was leaving for the terminal, putting me at the airport in time for a 5:15pm flight instead (and 6pm, had I missed that one). As a bonus, the 7pm flight ended up being slightly delayed after a thunderstorm moved in that evening, so I won back even more time.
Don't you have to pay a change fee or something to do that? I've seen the one flight before leaving while I'm getting into the airport once or twice, with mine an hour or two later and joked about it, but whatever, that's just part of flying, better to have a nicely padded connection than be rushed. The whole airplane thing takes time, I plan accordingly.

You can make up all sorts of scenarios as to why you'd want to be a certain place at a certain time, but really, WN's flights are based on how to most efficiently utilize WN's fleet, and that's a good thing. Efficient equipment utilization means lower costs, lower costs mean lower fares.

Luckily for my flight to DTW, which gets in at the kind of awkward 17:30 in DTW, the fares were so low that overrode anyone else in my party's desire to fly direct on DL and get there for dinner, so now I don't have to deal with DL! You just can't argue with $178 on WN vs. $382 on DL. Granted, if it were the other way around, of course I would have put up with DL's shenanigans and sacrificed my knees for the lower fare. If it's a tie, since they seem to scrape each other's sites all the time, WN via BWI wins automatically over the nonstop DL flight.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 8:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: RapidRewards, SkyPesos, whatever flies where I want to go.
OMG, that flight isn't $382, it's $402. I didn't realize $382 is their new basic economy. Talk about another way to screw people. What a bunch of BS that is. Are they trying to lose customers? It sure seems like it! First the Economy Plus BS, and now this BS. They're worse than the rental car companies that have invented new categories of cars that don't exist in real life to add more price tiers.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
And? Apparently that exactly route doesn't demand more than 2 flights a day.

On what, rinky-dink POS little planes? 2 flights a day is more than adequate. They're scheduled anyway, so figure it out from there.

Don't you have to pay a change fee or something to do that?

WN's flights are based on how to most efficiently utilize WN's fleet, and that's a good thing. Efficient equipment utilization means lower costs, lower costs mean lower fares.

You just can't argue with $178 on WN vs. $382 on DL.
Did you even read my post? The route clearly demands more than two flights a day because the legacy carriers offer 8-10 flights a day.

Those flights on DL are operated by M90s and 757s. Not exactly rinky-dink planes, though admittedly not your beloved 737s. But my goal is to get from A to B at the time that I need to. If that means flying on an RJ, I'll survive for a couple hours. Also, I cannot "figure it out from there" from WN's precious schedule. Quite literally, I would not be able to do my job if I had to leave the office at noon in order to catch the one WN afternoon flight each day. Not all of us have the free time and flexibility that you apparently do, thus we demand flexibility from the airlines we fly.

For various reasons, I usually do not have to pay change fees. Sometimes I do. It's always worth it.

WN operating their fleet efficiently is their business. When those operations don't meet my needs, which I am paying the airline to satisfy, then me taking my travel dollars elsewhere is my business. Neither are your business.

Actually, I can argue with that. The fact that I can keep my clients and livelihood, or my abiliy to have an extra dinner or two or four hours with my family, is worth well more than $200. I'm deeply sorry if your time with your friends and family is not. Never mind that WN is actually more expensive on the routes that I fly.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

717 headroom

Serious questions for OP.

Your posts seem to assume that all/most travelers are flying for leisure and have ample time to casually make their way to and through airports, with no real schedule to which they are bound. You may be able to miss a dinner, but I certainly cannot miss a meeting with the executive sponsors of my project. You also assume that all passengers should make their purchase decisions based on price alone.

1. Do you actually, or have you ever, regularly traveled for business?

2. Do you recognize that quite literally, there are many jobs and activities where every minute spent in transit equates to money lost, and that $50 or $100 differences in airfare are peanuts in comparison to the value of that time?

It seems that you are unable to grasp the demands of business travel and the fact that for many, many people, the value of time is immensely greater than even some of the most expensive last-minute airfares.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OMG, that flight isn't $382, it's $402. I didn't realize $382 is their new basic economy. Talk about another way to screw people. What a bunch of BS that is. Are they trying to lose customers? It sure seems like it! First the Economy Plus BS, and now this BS. They're worse than the rental car companies that have invented new categories of cars that don't exist in real life to add more price tiers.
Um...the Basic Economy fares are meant to directly compete with NK and F9. The Comfort+ is a version of unbundling services which are a page right out of the LCC book (which WN also does with Early Bird check in).

One might argue that such things, as much as we might dislike them, are actually increasing DL's market share and profits.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
HOLY ****. 34" is excessive unless you're the size of a basketball player or something. That's massive waste.
I wonder if you sleep in a bed, or just a sleeping bag on the floor. The bed would be massive waste.

What does a seat assignment have to do with knee-jamming?
By getting a seat with more legroom assigned, there's no risk of knee-jamming even if you aren't the first one to arrive at the airport.

Interesting. I did the math out, and it actually does work out. Of course that doesn't address why someone would be stupid enough to fly from LaGuardia to Logan, but that's another question entirely.
Some people's time is worth money, hence flying isn't wasteful.

Let's do the break down from a hotel in mid-town to downtown Boston, let's say the New York Mariott Marquis, which shows up featured on Google Maps (not sure if it's sponsored or by search volume, but whatever). It's also favorable to LaGuardia, since it is so close.

Fly:
Get from hotel to LaGuardia: Average time of 43 minutes via E/F/R and Q70
By taxi, 18 minutes without traffic.

Get to LaGuardia 75 minutes ahead of flight per Delta.com
LGA: 15 minutes without bags, 30 minutes with bags for check-in, per https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...uirements.html

Take a 79 minute DL flight
Get off the plane and to the Silver Line in 15 minutes
Take Silver Line: 17 minutes
Walk to wherever you're going: 10 minutes (doesn't matter, same for both)

Total of 239 minutes
Total of 189 minutes with checked bags, 174 without.

Acela:
Get from Hotel to NYP: 9 minutes via 2 train
Get to NYP 30 minutes ahead per Amtrak.com
NYP-BOS: 220 minutes
Get off train: 5 minutes
Walk to wherever you're going: 10 minutes

Total of 274 minutes
Taxi is 3 minutes without traffic, so 268 minutes.

So the airplane saves a whopping 35 minutes in a location somewhat favorable to the airplane, although other locations end up being within a few minutes of that.
79 or 94 minutes, depending on whether you're checking bags. And there are a lot of hotels within a couple of blocks of the Marriott Marquis.

Drive:
214 minutes without traffic
236 minutes currently with traffic
Plus getting your car from wherever it's parked in NYC, could be another hour or two.

For someone who works in Boston traveling to NYC, drive to NHV and take the train in:
Drive to NHV:
142 minutes
Arrive 20 minutes before train
70 minute express to GCT
6 minutes via S to Mariott

Total: 238 minutes

I really didn't expect driving to win.
It didn't, flying did if you use the correct numbers.

Of course Acela provides far and away the best experience, and no one in their right mind would fly from Logan to LaGuardia unless they were connecting to somewhere else.
Unless their time is worth money, which is true for some of us. When I'm getting $500/hour, I'm taking the fastest method I can.

And waste time with security and boarding a plane while they could be reading or working as their Amtrak train rolls along and gets them there almost as fast anyway and in a much more comfortable manner? That's just nuts.
All that "wasted time" still adds up to over an hour faster than the Acela. And there are shuttles every 30 minutes, so depending on your schedule the difference could be much larger.

The timing really doesn't matter. You choose what's available. And making fewer times available with mainline aircraft would make the whole system better.
For a value of "better" defined as "worse for me".

I never said it was defined as what I want, I said it was defined by what provides the most benefits for the most people.
But you also claim the power to define what "benefits" other people, even when they disagree with you.

No, it's defined as what the most butts want. There are a lot more butts that want to fly in the big cities than in podunkville, so basically the big cities should be dictating how the system works. Instead, we have this mess where podunkville, USA has been able to interject itself into the operations of the big cities and screw them up.
Ever hear the phrase "tyranny of the majority"? The big cities don't get to define the entire system.

That's not my opinion, it's calculable fact. A runway flying a stream of 737's is going to be able to move more passengers per hour than a runway flying a stream of CRJs or Embraers.
It isn't anybody's goal (except yours) to move maximum passengers per hour. Airlines are in business to make money.

Amtrak sucks for going to Buffalo, if that's what you're talking about. It's faster to drive, although it's still more convenient by far to take Amtrak. That's too short to make any sense to fly. The government should get that corridor set up as a higher speed rail corridor, but until then, driving takes the cake time wise.
I can do stuff I like (reading, working, coding, watching, listening) while on a plane or a train. Not so much in a car.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Private jets are incredibly wasteful. People should not be allowed to use private airplanes unless the person paying for it is also flying it, i.e. recreational small aircraft. If you don't want to fly your own plane, get a ticket on a commercial airliner.
So you don't care about airlines making money.

Yeah, I get the cascading delays fairly often on WN. They usually pad their connections pretty well. Luckily, they usually aren't bad in the morning, so the first flight is usually on time, and once you're at the hub, the second flight doesn't really matter. What's a 20 minute delay for low, low fares? Nothing.
Especially to someone whose time isn't worth money.

The one place I would fault WN is their ability to recover from serious delays due to weather or airport problems. They don't really seem to have any ability to do so, since when their system falls apart, it falls hard. A 20 minute delay here or there is no big deal though.
Total inability to recover is a lot more damaging to someone whose time is valuable.

Who would pay $20k to fly someone somewhere?
Someone who makes $2 million from him being there then.

Because only a tiny minority of the population has any legitimate need for more than a 32" seat pitch.
Nobody except you cares about what you consider a "legitimate need". I consider what I want, and that's what I pay for.

I'm just about as tall as 95% of men are. The exit rows have to be there anyway, so the legacy carriers should assign them to people who are more than 6'4" tall, and WN could let them pre-board and grab them as well. That way, everyone would be accommodated. I'm already at the 95th percentile for height at 6'3".
Oh, so it's "more efficient" to give you what you want (for free, too, no doubt). But that's not part of WN's business plan, is it? I guess they don't agree with your version of "efficiency" either.

It's waste because you have no legitimate need for it. No one needs to slouch on an airplane. There's plenty of other time for that. Sit more or less upright, and you'll be fine.
You don't get to define what I have a "legitimate need" for. You've never seen my spinal x-rays.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 10:40 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Originally Posted by AJDelvarno
This is, I believe, the most civilized FT discussion I have ever followed wherein every single person posting believes OP is wrong.

Bravo.
This is 100% troll. OP does not know anything about the airline business. Trains, buses or cars, as well. Since WN is perfect, move this troll thread over to the WN FT area.

This started out about headroom on a 717, correct? Look at the title.

I can not believe people fall for this BS.

OP: Stick with WN - it works for you. It does not for me or my company 95% of the time and I am based at WN's second largest hub (LAS). WN works to RNO and California. That's it from LAS.

This takes the cake of a Troll thread. There is not one piece of wisdom placed here by the OP.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 10:58 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Because only a tiny minority of the population has any legitimate need for more than a 32" seat pitch. I'm just about as tall as 95% of men are. The exit rows have to be there anyway, so the legacy carriers should assign them to people who are more than 6'4" tall, and WN could let them pre-board and grab them as well. That way, everyone would be accommodated. I'm already at the 95th percentile for height at 6'3".
The problem with that is that not every tall person is qualified to sit in an exit row. They could be physically disabled. They could have difficulty understanding and speaking basic English language commands. They could have a need to be traveling with Biscuit the emotional support hamster, all things that are disqualifiers for sitting in an exit row.

A person just shouldn't have to choose between knees not hitting the seatback in front of them and being able to take their beloved Biscuit the emotional support hamster on their flight with them, you know?
Old Apr 28, 2015, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
This thread has gotten too off topic and I am shutting it down. Thanks to all for sharing their thoughts.

RSSrsvp - Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.