Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

So, GoGo is officially a joke at this point, right?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

So, GoGo is officially a joke at this point, right?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2015, 6:16 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Originally Posted by Justin026
Is the in-flight "intranet" causing some of the problem? (Not sure why Delta has spent so much on getting in seat video set up while now also encouraging people to use wi-fi with iPads instead.)

I don't know the answers, but seems like others on this board might?
Justin has raised a very good question. The Delta streaming entertainment... is that using the same bandwidth as the GG wifi?
Old Aug 30, 2015, 6:41 pm

Programs: UA 1k, DL DM 1MM, various other crap
No, the content streamed on Delta Studio does not use the Gogo air-to-ground bandwidth.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 8:04 pm

Programs: dl plat
It is really, really bad service at this point.

I just heard from a GoGo rep via chat that if the system detects a use of over 25mbps from a single account within first hour of log-in, it will slow that user down significantly. There is no way to know this of course as you are using the service, other than just not have it work well.

I asked what changes had been done to justify the price increase, and he said that there is newer tech in about 40% of aircraft that use Gogo. But... Really not much new at Delta.

I was offered $15 which I did not find satisfactory. Then $25. So go get your $25 if you are intent on keeping the service.

I cancelled my service. If I can't really rely on it, why pay more? I will simply use the free sites that I can access anyway, and just download or work offline.

Too bad really, but voting with my wallet here.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Wow, I didn't realize GoGo had gotten that bad... I've flown Delta once this year, and the GoGo was fine (although it was a redeye, so not that busy I suppose). Honestly, I've never really had much trouble with GoGo, although it certainly wasn't fast.

I mostly fly JetBlue now and it's like I'm using internet at home (I have FiOS, btw). I have been able to watch videos on Youtube without issue! (Although you do get throttled after 10 or 15 minutes, lol.) And it's free

-J.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 7:29 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Originally Posted by NYC123
It is really, really bad service at this point.

I just heard from a GoGo rep via chat that if the system detects a use of over 25mbps from a single account within first hour of log-in, it will slow that user down significantly. There is no way to know this of course as you are using the service, other than just not have it work well.

I asked what changes had been done to justify the price increase, and he said that there is newer tech in about 40% of aircraft that use Gogo. But... Really not much new at Delta.

I was offered $15 which I did not find satisfactory. Then $25. So go get your $25 if you are intent on keeping the service.

I cancelled my service. If I can't really rely on it, why pay more? I will simply use the free sites that I can access anyway, and just download or work offline.

Too bad really, but voting with my wallet here.
So the best retention offer you received was a one time $25? I was really feeling that even the $39 monthly pass was a bit much, so as I said, I am cutting the cord at $59/month.

Edited to add: I just called and canceled, and no retention offers were made whatsoever.

Last edited by RobertS975; Aug 31, 2015 at 7:36 am
Old Aug 31, 2015, 10:12 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by RobertS975
Justin has raised a very good question. The Delta streaming entertainment... is that using the same bandwidth as the GG wifi?
No, they have servers on-board that carry their IFE content.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 10:23 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by NYC123
Unless you're using the satellite version, that speed is not even close to possible on most flights considering the ground based Gogo is 3Mbps (per *plane*) on most flights and only 10Mbps on "newer" systems.

From a business perspective, I think Gogo tried to pull a "Kodak". They were the market leader, and instead of innovating they decided to make a "money grab" while they had a captive audience. They know it's nearly impossible for DL (and others) to switch to a competitors service, although I wish they would.

Now the competition has better products, and Gogo is wasting money on upgrading an airplane's uplink speed from 3Mbps to 10Mbps...which is laughable. My LTE hotspot is faster than their connection to a whole plane. Now imagine 20+ people sharing that connection...

They should have invested in better technology. There are much better options out there but it may be too late for them to catch up.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 11:49 am
Company Representative - GogoAir

Originally Posted by HDQDD
Unless you're using the satellite version, that speed is not even close to possible on most flights considering the ground based Gogo is 3Mbps (per *plane*) on most flights and only 10Mbps on "newer" systems.

From a business perspective, I think Gogo tried to pull a "Kodak". They were the market leader, and instead of innovating they decided to make a "money grab" while they had a captive audience. They know it's nearly impossible for DL (and others) to switch to a competitors service, although I wish they would.

Now the competition has better products, and Gogo is wasting money on upgrading an airplane's uplink speed from 3Mbps to 10Mbps...which is laughable. My LTE hotspot is faster than their connection to a whole plane. Now imagine 20+ people sharing that connection...

They should have invested in better technology. There are much better options out there but it may be too late for them to catch up.
Thanks as always for the feedback, and for the opportunity to clarify a few things. Last year, Gogo announced 2Ku - a revolutionary dual antenna satellite system that will offer 20x the current bandwidth found on our ATG aircraft. With gloabl availability of 70Mbps, there is nothing like it on the market at the moment.

Last week, Gogo received FAA approval for 2Ku, and it is currently up and running on our test plane, you can watch the installation video for that here:

We currently have over 500 aircraft committed to installing 2Ku - you can read more about some of them here: http://gogoair.mediaroom.com/2015-02...n-250-Aircraft. We expect to launch commercial service later this year and begin rapid installation of the backlog of 500 aircraft in 2016.

Thanks!
Old Aug 31, 2015, 7:15 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
Originally Posted by Gogo
Thanks as always for the feedback, and for the opportunity to clarify a few things. Last year, Gogo announced 2Ku - a revolutionary dual antenna satellite system that will offer 20x the current bandwidth found on our ATG aircraft. With gloabl availability of 70Mbps, there is nothing like it on the market at the moment.

Last week, Gogo received FAA approval for 2Ku, and it is currently up and running on our test plane, you can watch the installation video for that here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCceWXgJHaE

We currently have over 500 aircraft committed to installing 2Ku - you can read more about some of them here: http://gogoair.mediaroom.com/2015-02...n-250-Aircraft. We expect to launch commercial service later this year and begin rapid installation of the backlog of 500 aircraft in 2016.

Thanks!
Just for reading this we have increased your monthly Gogo subscription fee by $10.00

Sincerely,

Your Friends At Gogo

Edit to add: I'm sure that my bandwidth will now be severely throttled... If I thought Gogo was slow before, just wait! Lol...
Old Aug 31, 2015, 8:37 pm

Programs: dl plat
Originally Posted by Gogo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCceWXgJHaE

Thanks!
This is great to hear, and I am especially glad this is happening on DL aircraft. But... The fee increases are happening now. Why should we pay for the better service while still getting the inadequate older product?

You have amazing technology (really, you facilitate me using the internet traveling at 35,000 feet/ 500 miles per hour) but the way you treat customers and manage expectations is not so great.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.