Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

So, GoGo is officially a joke at this point, right?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

So, GoGo is officially a joke at this point, right?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2015, 3:30 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM
Originally Posted by HDQDD
Their graphic shows 9.8Mbps, that's still not very much bandwidth for dozens of users.
9.8Mbps??? In order to simulate this on my home system, I'd have to degrade my internet throughput by 50% and then add a planeload of passengers onto my router. It's no wonder things grind to a halt.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by motytrah
Original ATG is 3.1Mbit/sec, the upgraded ATG-4 is 9.6Mbit/sec. The Satellite based systems are 60-70Mbit/sec which is what Intl flights will use.
Bingo - we have a winner.

There are no cell towers in the middle of the ocean for obvious reasons. Furthermore, GoGo only has agreements with cell networks in certain countries, namely the U.S. (now also parts of Canada). Therefore, international flights must use Satellite-based communications, which is fortunately much faster than ATG-based communications.

In the not-too-distant future, even domestic flights will have Satellite-based Internet. This is United's approach to implementing GoGo. You could argue United's late in implementing in-flight WiFi because they're almost always late to the party. Or maybe they had the foresight to realize that the original ATG in-flight wifi would just be a headache for customers.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 6:57 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG AMB, National EE
I've noticed that plane type has a lot to do with it. The A320s are particularly bad. This is probably a function of the age of the equipment installed. Unfortunately my weekly cross-country flight is always on an A320. Got pretty decent service on the redeye last week, but I would have much rather been sleeping.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 7:35 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Seems to depend on the flight. My last trip involved four flights, the first one it didn't work on at all but the next three it worked okay. I've found if you use it on early morning or late flights where no one else is using it, it seems to work okay. Still frustrating with how expensive it is now though.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by safigan
In order to simulate this on my home system, I'd have to degrade my internet throughput by 50% and then add a planeload of passengers onto my router. It's no wonder things grind to a halt.
When your home + cable service is capable of 0.80 mach flight at 37,000 feet, let us know.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 9:41 am

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
Originally Posted by safigan
9.8Mbps??? In order to simulate this on my home system, I'd have to degrade my internet throughput by 50% and then add a planeload of passengers onto my router. It's no wonder things grind to a halt.
Getting greedy -- I have DSL at home...would kill for 9.8
Old Feb 4, 2015, 6:30 pm

I think Gogo should be considered a tool for keeping up with e-mail and texting and really nothing more. I use it for that and am happy with the service. Streaming or anything real-timeish is probably a few years away.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Father-of-3
I think Gogo should be considered a tool for keeping up with e-mail and texting and really nothing more. I use it for that and am happy with the service. Streaming or anything real-timeish is probably a few years away.
I don't have any expectations of being able to stream, but when it takes 60-120 seconds or more to load a plain old web page, that's absurd.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 7:06 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by javabytes
I don't have any expectations of being able to stream, but when it takes 60-120 seconds or more to load a plain old web page, that's absurd.
How about 60-120 seconds just to load THIER webpage to login! It's insane sometimes (most times).
Old Feb 4, 2015, 8:50 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Thankfully, Flyertalk usually loads pretty quickly on it as long as you avoid threads with lots of pictures.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 10:17 pm

Programs: DL GM .75MM, HH D, IHG GE, Nat Ex, ePlus
Several years ago, I used to be able to remote in to a site and RDP to servers and work on work while in the air. I could use e-mail and chat to text with people having issues and work with them on the ground while I am in the air.

Something happened, because that can't happen anymore with service the way it has been the last couple of years.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 1:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
And remember the pricing goes up soon again.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 8:55 am

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
The free T-Mobile texting gives me the ability to have customer's make me aware that they need me to call when the flight lands. I can handle question just fine with texting.

I happily dropped gogo.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 2:53 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
I attempted to use gogo yesterday to book a flight on DL for next week. It was so slow loading each of the pages (about 30sec-1min each) that it would timeout before I got to confirm my payment. I tried it twice (30 minutes apart) on an ATL-MKE flight. Same behavior both times. If it can't even load the DL page, why tf would I pay for it...

If gogo cares at all about having any customers they better start addressing these failures immediately. Perhaps they need to limit the amount of passes they allow simultaneously per flight.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 4:51 pm

Programs: Marriott Silver, Delta SkyMiles Member, Global Entry,AA Gold
So it seems to its a waste of money to get GoGo ? As I was going to buy it for my next flight which is next week but if it is that slow what's the point I would rather just be disconnected and take a nap on the plane.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.