Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

So, GoGo is officially a joke at this point, right?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

So, GoGo is officially a joke at this point, right?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2015, 11:12 am

Programs: DL DM, MM
Hmm....I'm on the $40/month plan and I have not received the email with the price hike. I've been a customer for about 4 years. Wonder why I haven't gotten it.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by steveg2112
I was still on the $39.95 deal, 50% increase is a joke for such a poor service. Cancellation email sent, I will make do with buying occasional passes if I need it. Maybe it will be faster for those still using it if enough people cancel.
Looking out for the 'please come back' offers to see how desperate they are to recover lost revenue.
Agree, I fell off my chair when I saw the new pricing. The service is seriously horrible. After every DL flight I get a survey and I tell them exactly what I think. Maybe this increase is aimed at improved service thru fewer customers.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 10:01 pm

Programs: DL, CO, LH, BA etc...
while not a gogo customer - and quite happy with that - I am amused by the rationale for the hike
"others are paying more so we'll charge you extra"
seems valid.

no need to do improvements, speed upgrades, expansion, etc
lolz
Old Jun 2, 2015, 10:10 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, DL SkClub LT, Marr LT Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diam
4500ms latency on MSP-LAX today. As soon as my current monthly sub is set for renewal it's adios GoGo!
Old Aug 29, 2015, 12:58 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
So this thread is famous:

http://www.bloomberg.com/features/20...less-internet/

Check the 3rd paragraph of the above story in Bloomberg BusinessWeek.

David
Old Aug 29, 2015, 2:03 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by DiverDave

David
Nice. They're right about how gogo is banking on (and making tons on) non-price sensitive customers. If people were leaving, they would stop raising the prices.

It's hard to imagine 7% of a 757 sharing 3Mbps... That's an average of about 200Kbps/pax. Even less if some jagoff is streaming video.

Honestly, I didn't realize how superior ViaSat and GEE's networks were.

Old Aug 29, 2015, 3:18 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
Originally Posted by DiverDave

David
I'm quoted in the article... I'm famous! I think I need to post this in the DYKWIA thread, lol... It was nice chatting w/ Sam... nice guy!
Old Aug 29, 2015, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HDQDD
Nice. They're right about how gogo is banking on (and making tons on) non-price sensitive customers. If people were leaving, they would stop raising the prices.

It's hard to imagine 7% of a 757 sharing 3Mbps... That's an average of about 200Kbps/pax. Even less if some jagoff is streaming video.

Honestly, I didn't realize how superior ViaSat and GEE's networks were.

The 12Mbps figure for ViaSat is likely based on their Exede12 ground-based residential service (http://www.exede.com) and has nothing to do with their airline based offering. No way could you guarantee that to each and every passenger on a full airplane. Aside from the fact that the bandwidth from the plane to the satellite is probably not sufficient to handle it, a single wifi radio can do maybe 50-100 Mbps. Consider how many radios you'd need for a 200 passenger airplane to allow them all to do 12Mbps simultaneously (aside from the cost, you'd also run into significant channel overlap).

While satellite systems offer higher bandwidth rates, the latency is also much worse. In the real world, it is difficult to achieve the bandwidth rates as high latency networks are must more sensitive to packet loss than lower latency ones. Many, many papers out there on this topic.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 5:45 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
My last few trips Gogo was better. Or maybe that's just because I tried using Amtrak Wifi on an 11 hour trip earlier this month and it makes Gogo look like the Usain Bolt of wifi.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 6:37 pm

Location: ATL - DL DM/3MM - HH Lifetime Diamond - Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by CMK10
I tried using Amtrak Wifi on an 11 hour trip earlier this month.
I love those old movies from the '30s and '40s where that was the norm and have thought about doing that someday. What possessed you and where did you go?
Old Aug 29, 2015, 6:46 pm

I didn't find it slow, but if there can be any reason, it is that when GoGo website redirect us to App Store, it offers free wifi for 10-15 minutes while downloading the app, and anyone can repeat this process for longer free wifi. And since more and more people know this trick except y'all, makes the wifi slower?
Old Aug 29, 2015, 8:27 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Tomphot
I love those old movies from the '30s and '40s where that was the norm and have thought about doing that someday. What possessed you and where did you go?
Oh I travel regularly by Amtrak, in fact one of my travel goals is to take every train. This was New York to Montreal.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 6:30 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
My monthly pass was processed on Aug 7th for $59.99 whereas I had been paying only $39.99 previously. I have made a note on my calendar to terminate the monthly pass in early September. Even without a pass, one can connect to the DL website to check connecting flights etc.

Of course, the termination can only be done by phone, email or live chat.... no way to do it purely online. Anyone know whether there are any "retention deals" offered that are difficult to refuse?
Old Aug 30, 2015, 6:57 am

Programs: DL DM & 5MM, WN
Had always thought go-go was a useful service, but it worked best when both Delta and AirTran were on it -- I could choose between airlines and stay connected. Southwest has a different, pay-as-you-go service, so go-go service is less valuable to me. Yet the rates are increasing?

And in the last month, go-go service has been awful -- lost connections, glacial email performance (I never stream anything). Why is that?

I can't believe there is actually a widening group of air travellers willing to part with fifty-odd dollars a month. Is it a growing pattern of misuse by current subscribers? Is the in-flight "intranet" causing some of the problem? (Not sure why Delta has spent so much on getting in seat video set up while now also encouraging people to use wi-fi with iPads instead.)

I don't know the answers, but seems like others on this board might?
Old Aug 30, 2015, 12:40 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by krlcomm
I'm quoted in the article... I'm famous! I think I need to post this in the DYKWIA thread, lol... It was nice chatting w/ Sam... nice guy!
^ ^

David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.