Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

FCM In Action - $50 to UG a $400 Coach Ticket

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FCM In Action - $50 to UG a $400 Coach Ticket

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2014, 2:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by injera
THIS

Earlier this year (to settle an argument with a friend) I posted here asking people how much they'd consider paying for a short flight (LGA->BUF) medium flight (DTW->MIA) or a longer flight (JFK->SFO).

Most people responded that they'd be willing to pay btw $0-25 for an upgrade on a short flight. So if Delta can get $50 for the seat it sounds like they're getting ABOVE the market price.
But most people don't buy FC seats, nor are most of the seats on the plane in FC. What matters is how much a few people will pay, where how many are needed for "few" depends on how many open FC seats the flight has.

The example of an 800 mile flight is long enough that the additional space, drinks, snacks, etc. would be nice. Also, don't forget that a few routes under 900 miles do have meal service.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 2:17 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
But most people don't buy FC seats, nor are most of the seats on the plane in FC. What matters is how much a few people will pay, where how many are needed for "few" depends on how many open FC seats the flight has.

The example of an 800 mile flight is long enough that the additional space, drinks, snacks, etc. would be nice. Also, don't forget that a few routes under 900 miles do have meal service.
Two benefits need to be considered as well - free baggage and SkyPriority. SkyPriority can be very valuable when flying during peak travel days like the holidays.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 10:08 am

Programs: Delta DM / 1M, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, Emerald Club Exec
I just booked a roundtrip from MSP to Seattle departing next Friday (7 days out). It's a same day turn as I only need to be in Seattle for a few hours. Base fare was $654 ($726 after taxes and fees). During booking, I was offered to upgrade to "Business Class" for $79 each way. I declined. After booking I accessed the trip in my profile and was offered to upgrade the entire trip for $111.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 12:29 pm

Programs: Delta KM/DM, Hyatt GP Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
Are you talking an upgrade done via miles or RU/GU? For domestic trips it's my understanding that you can SDC on those as well which is another way people can game the system. If the flight you want doesn't inventory for miles/RU (not that a lot of flights do anyway) what's to stop someone from booking a less desirable flight and then SDCing into the flight they want 24 hours out?

I wouldn't put it past Delta to offer an "enhancement" at time of purchase where you can pay an extra charge and be giving bonus MQM's like they do with the RDM mileage boost and allow you to SDC providing there is an empty seat in coach.
I was actually talking about complimentary upgrades at some point during your UG window.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 1:41 pm

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
IMO you are speaking from your own experience as an elite. It's a brave new world, and the reality is that Delta is pricing the First Class upgrades very attractively. 80% sale of first wasn't just hot air. Non-elites don't get free luggage and we don't get nice assigned seats.

Forget the meals, the meals suck. Inclusive luggage, reserved seating upfront, free drinks, and priority boarding is where it is at.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 1:56 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer
All this talk of cheap buy ups had me check my next LAX-ATL R/T. $500 ticket, buy up to FC $700+ (also R/T) No thanks.
Just did my periodic seat check and the buy-up is down to $473 R/T. Still to pricey for me though.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 6:47 pm

Programs: DL PM. 1MM
Had my first experience of drastically reduced price for F today.

I'm flying 12/20 EWR-ATL-CHA returning 12/27 CHA-ATL-LGA. Booked U fare on outbound Q fare on return for $474 base fare. Booked about 28 days ago.

I have checked the upgrade to F price frequently on the DL web site and it has been consistently in the $650-$900 range to upgrade. Note that ATL-CHA both trips is a CRJ so we're only talking about upgrading the NYC-ATL portion of my trip.

Today I check the web site and now the upgrade price is $175 ai for round trip upgrade. 6 empty seats on outbound, 5 on return. I declined the offer.

Looks like at most one person has accepted delta's offer at this point (EWR-ATL has gone from 6 F open this morning to 5 when I look now).
Old Dec 19, 2014, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
I'd say it's far more likely that someone snapped up an A/G/P fare on EWR-ATL-XXX, and that fare was completely independent of what DL may have been offering you to upgrade your already-purchased EWR-CHA
Old Dec 20, 2014, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by nichelle
I just booked a roundtrip from MSP to Seattle departing next Friday (7 days out). It's a same day turn as I only need to be in Seattle for a few hours. Base fare was $654 ($726 after taxes and fees). During booking, I was offered to upgrade to "Business Class" for $79 each way. I declined. After booking I accessed the trip in my profile and was offered to upgrade the entire trip for $111.
Interesting... several people have reported this phenomenon.

Sounds similar to haggling at a flea market. The shopper turns down the sellers "last, best, final offer" and starts to walk away.

Then the seller calls out "Wait... come back... let's talk some more."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.