Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

FCM In Action - $50 to UG a $400 Coach Ticket

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FCM In Action - $50 to UG a $400 Coach Ticket

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2014, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
meanwhile, i get a $329 FCM offer on a 3.5hr leg of a 4 segment, $660 domestic round trip ticket yesterday
Old Dec 16, 2014, 7:23 pm

Programs: DL 2.8 MM/PM, AA MM/GLD, Marriott LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Interesting FCM for my flight yesterday.
I bought the ticket 7 days in advance. Coach (M) fare was $312 (ow) and First was $412. I bought the coach ticket and logged back in to buy up for the extra $100 (prefer to handle the buy up separately.)

Lo and behold, when I logged back in, the buy-up offer for my ticket was now only $50.50 Thanks, Delta

Last edited by pbjag; Dec 16, 2014 at 7:33 pm
Old Dec 16, 2014, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Am flying to DC in a couple weeks. First class was $350 more for a short flight from DTW to DCA and First Class to DUL was only $20 more than the coach fare to DCA.

First class is wide open on the DCA flights so I'll just do a SDC at t-24 for the DCA flights. I want some flexibility on the outbound flight anyway and I won't have to play the lottery of making sure the booked fare class was open.

When I was looking at LAS/LAX fares last weekend the difference between coach and first on a half hour flight that probably won't even have a drink service is $350 lol

Last edited by jamesteroh; Dec 16, 2014 at 8:22 pm
Old Dec 16, 2014, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by EZEDoesIt
While I benefit from the MQD waiver myself, I feel that it's ridiculous for DL to award card spend.
I know its OT but DL cant be making much money from the bank on $25K spend. Its not like the bank is buying miles from DL for more than 1-2 cents per mile, if that. Makes that MQD waiver seem silly.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 8:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by CDKing
I know its OT but DL cant be making much money from the bank on $25K spend. Its not like the bank is buying miles from DL for more than 1-2 cents per mile, if that. Makes that MQD waiver seem silly.
DL's operating margin for 2014 is targeted at 13%. That means the operating margin on the minimum for DM is around $1,625. Given the MQM requirements, the waiver only need make up a fraction of the spend.

Yes, at the margins there may be mileage runners that use a combination of super low fares and the waiver to achieve status, but the waiver likely achieves the desired purpose, which is to goose elites with marginal profitability over the limit if they add CC spend. It isn't silly at all. What is silly, though, is looking at decisions through the FT lens, as if more than a tiny fraction of elites get there by mileage running.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by EZEDoesIt
While I benefit from the MQD waiver myself, I feel that it's ridiculous for DL to award card spend.
DL doesn't "award card spend"; it sells benefits to Amex for money. That money is profit.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 9:21 pm
Suspended

Out of curiosity, why are we even discussing MQDs in a thread about fares that yield around 0.25 MQDs per mile flown? Is this another example of the lack of basic math skills on FT? Is it another example of a certain whiny contingent throwing the same whines at every thread, hoping it sticks?

I'm genuinely curious what the anti-FCM crowd wants.

DL is selling F seats at the going rate. Period. DL is selling F seats at more than double the price they say qualifies you for elite. Period. DL is selling F in this case at around 2.5x their PRASM. Period. None of the whines acknowledge these truths, instead obfuscating it.

Honestly, the whining is tiresome. It is tiresome because it is dishonest. It pretends that these fares are "cheap", when they are not. They are in line with what the market will bear. They are a substantial premium over DL's normal PRASM. They are, in fact, premium fares. Period. No amount of complaining from folks upset because they are going to miss an upgrade changes the reality that these are, by every reasonable metric, appropriate fares.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 10:33 pm

Programs: Delta FO, Marriott LT Titanium, HHonors Gold, Nat'l Exec, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Beckles
I'm a little surprised it would be that inexpensive round-trip ...
So, is it $400 ... or "close to $350" (which implies to me less than $350)? This is the problem with so many of these pithy anecdotes, they seem a little hard to believe (e.g., is it really just $50 to upgrade round-trip ... or $50 each way?), and then you can't even keep your story straight on the facts for more than a few sentences.

Exactly how much was the original coach ticket? Exactly how much did it cost you to upgrade the ticket, round-trip?
I have absolutely scored a ~$50 r/t upgrade on a ~$400 original fare. Back in October, I had a multi-city itin, DTW-BNA (Tues, Oct 28th) then ATL-DTW (Sun, Nov 2nd.) Paid $417 for the trip when I booked. A few days before departure, I was looking on the app and was offered a r/t upgrade for $58. Essentially $29 each way... So obviously, I jumped on it.

And it certainly wasn't the first time... Had a similar experience in August on DTW-FLL and in February/March on DTW-TPA.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 1:29 am

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Originally Posted by northwest_buckeye
I have absolutely scored a ~$50 r/t upgrade on a ~$400 original fare. Back in October, I had a multi-city itin, DTW-BNA (Tues, Oct 28th) then ATL-DTW (Sun, Nov 2nd.) Paid $417 for the trip when I booked. A few days before departure, I was looking on the app and was offered a r/t upgrade for $58. Essentially $29 each way... So obviously, I jumped on it.

And it certainly wasn't the first time... Had a similar experience in August on DTW-FLL and in February/March on DTW-TPA.
Nobody has problem with an upsell based on the fare difference between coach and first. What upsets people is Delta selling *ultra-cheap* upgrades out from under Medallions.

United does this. Check out the thread on TOD's (tens of dollars), and now Delta does this, too. This is not "selling First at the going rate." It selling First way below the going rate instead of letting the inventory go to Medallion upgrades.

Upgrades are a published Medallions benefit. Instead, Delta is selling them to random flyers for "Tens of Dollars".
Old Dec 17, 2014, 4:30 am

Originally Posted by Bowgie
Nobody has problem with an upsell based on the fare difference between coach and first. What upsets people is Delta selling *ultra-cheap* upgrades out from under Medallions.

United does this. Check out the thread on TOD's (tens of dollars), and now Delta does this, too. This is not "selling First at the going rate." It selling First way below the going rate instead of letting the inventory go to Medallion upgrades.

Upgrades are a published Medallions benefit. Instead, Delta is selling them to random flyers for "Tens of Dollars".
By definition - isnt 'the going rate' the price which the market will bear?

Don't get me wrong, it'll suck if my UG % goes from 50% in GM in 2014 (90% on short-hop flights) to 10% in GM in 2015 and it would probably have me (and others) question my loyalty to Delta. but they'll still have the bulk of business as there are many other reasons why i choose to fly Delta and have status.

But i dont think its reasonable to expect Delta to sell F for $500 more than Y on a 60 minute flight just so we can get more upgrades. When your seat is 2 inches wider and you get a PDB and maybe one extra cocktail in air (since EC will now include free drinks) $50 probably is the right price.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 4:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Do these Fcm at online checkin change the fare basis to accrue more MQM, and do they result in more MQD?
Old Dec 17, 2014, 5:40 am
Suspended

These fares aren't "ultra-cheap".

This is not "selling First at the going rate." It selling First way below the going rate instead of letting the inventory go to Medallion upgrades.
That isn't true. Others in this thread have noted that these prices are roughly in line with what you would pay to buy F outright.

Instead, Delta is selling them to random flyers for "Tens of Dollars".
This is an 800 mile flight. There is likely near-zero demand for premium seats. "tens of dollars" is about the right price if the goal is to sell the seats.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 6:39 am

Originally Posted by pbarnette
This is an 800 mile flight. There is likely near-zero demand for premium seats. "tens of dollars" is about the right price if the goal is to sell the seats.
THIS

Earlier this year (to settle an argument with a friend) I posted here asking people how much they'd consider paying for a short flight (LGA->BUF) medium flight (DTW->MIA) or a longer flight (JFK->SFO).

Most people responded that they'd be willing to pay btw $0-25 for an upgrade on a short flight. So if Delta can get $50 for the seat it sounds like they're getting ABOVE the market price.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by pbarnette
I'm genuinely curious what the anti-FCM crowd wants.
I think it would be nice if I didn't lose an upgrade to someone who bought F for $500 when the cheapest Y was $800. (Yes, that happened; I don't know that I was the DM who would have gotten the F upgrade, but I know the person who bought the F seat and his price options.)

DL is selling F seats at the going rate. Period.
By definition, the price they sell at is the going rate. So what?

Honestly, the whining is tiresome. It is tiresome because it is dishonest. It pretends that these fares are "cheap", when they are not.
I think a $-300 upgrade from Y to F is cheap. You are welcome to disagree.

I think even a $50 upgrade on a 3-hour flight that costs $400 in Y is pretty cheap. You are still welcome to disagree.

They are in line with what the market will bear. They are a substantial premium over DL's normal PRASM. They are, in fact, premium fares. Period. No amount of complaining from folks upset because they are going to miss an upgrade changes the reality that these are, by every reasonable metric, appropriate fares.
Want Loyalty, Buy Loyalty. Or sell the F seats for $50 and cease getting loyalty from the people you sold them out from under. DL is doing very well in the short term, apparently not recognizing (or caring) that it's a lot cheaper in the long term to keep customers than to attract them.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by sethb
... DL is doing very well in the short term, apparently not recognizing (or caring) that it's a lot cheaper in the long term to keep customers than to attract them.
+1

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.