Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

FCM In Action - $50 to UG a $400 Coach Ticket

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FCM In Action - $50 to UG a $400 Coach Ticket

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2014, 8:45 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by sethb
I think a $-300 upgrade from Y to F is cheap. You are welcome to disagree.

I think even a $50 upgrade on a 3-hour flight that costs $400 in Y is pretty cheap. You are still welcome to disagree.
If $300 is cheap, why are you flying in Y?

DL is doing very well in the short term, apparently not recognizing (or caring) that it's a lot cheaper in the long term to keep customers than to attract them.
I think marketing folks greatly exaggerate the costs of customer acquisition in commodity industries. I get it; it is their job, but it is still an exaggeration.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 9:38 am
Original Member

Programs: AA-EXP/DL-Diamond/UA-100K/Hyatt-Globalist/Hilton-Diamond/Marriott-Titanium - Many more....
If you think this is bad.. Next Sunday flying PHX-ATL. Coach was $491.00 First was $267.00 Guess which I booked!

Last week found a SAN-ATL that was $1441 in Y and $596 in F. Again a no brainer!

In BOTH cases coach was non refundable same as the F fare
Old Dec 17, 2014, 11:11 am

Programs: Delta DM 2 Million Miler, Hilton DM, Priority Club Platinum
First class upgrade holiday sale

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...tml?icid=FS_US

Turn a holiday trip into a luxurious excursion with first-rate, First Class upgrade deals through February 17, 2015. Move up to First Class for as little as an additional $49* each way (based on a required round-trip Economy Class ticket purchase) and experience Priority Boarding®, delicious menu selections, complimentary cocktails and the Delta Studio™ entertainment suite.

To purchase, book a First Class ticket or select the First Class upgrade option from your Trip Summary while booking an Economy Class ticket. Then, travel between November 22, 2014 and February 17, 2015, within the contiguous U.S., or between the contiguous U.S. and Canada.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Well got a nice Fcm offer today and was gonna accept it later if F started to fill on my longer segment. Went back into OLCI to accept it and it was not offered again. DLs loss if they end up giving away upgrades.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
With upgrades being harder to get thanks to FCM, I sure hope Delta doesn't start doing an ECM with Economy comfort seats.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by pbarnette
If $300 is cheap, why are you flying in Y?
That's $-300; DL was charging $300 less for F than Y. My ticket had been purchased weeks before; I paid something like $300 round trip, my boss booked last minute paying $500 for F rather than $800 for Y. I wasn't offered any sort of upgrade option.

I think marketing folks greatly exaggerate the costs of customer acquisition in commodity industries. I get it; it is their job, but it is still an exaggeration.
If there is customer loyalty, then it isn't a commodity industry.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 6:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
That's $-300; DL was charging $300 less for F than Y. My ticket had been purchased weeks before; I paid something like $300 round trip, my boss booked last minute paying $500 for F rather than $800 for Y. I wasn't offered any sort of upgrade option.
Let me get this straight. You paid $300. You are moaning because your boss paid $500 for F?

If there is customer loyalty, then it isn't a commodity industry.
Who says there is customer loyalty?
Old Dec 17, 2014, 6:39 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
With upgrades being harder to get thanks to FCM, I sure hope Delta doesn't start doing an ECM with Economy comfort seats.
They've done at least some variable pricing on EC since inception. My first TATL in EC cost $60, in a 763. On the A332/333 the same sector was $80 I think, just a few months later.

I have no doubt that they will be testing price tolerance for C+. Part of why people, including me, blew up when they announced no GM C+ at purchase was specifically because a lof of FTs knew immediately that the goal was ECM.

As an FO, I foresee more competition for domestic exit row seats.

But DL is a business, and they feel they have the pricing power right now. We'll see over time if they're right.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by pbarnette
Let me get this straight. You paid $300. You are moaning because your boss paid $500 for F?
I think it is stupid of DL to sell F for $500 when they could have sold Y for $800. The amount I paid a month earlier is irrelevant.

Who says there is customer loyalty?
That's the whole purpose of FF programs.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 8:43 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Guilty Pleasures of FCM.....

Hi my name is Crazyhotelguy and I am guilty of giving into the DL game of FCM...

I just booked a business trip to NYC. My partner will be joining me..

I booked via corporate booking engine MCO - NYC. Round trip ~$350. Logged into DL and found my upgrade offer of $116 round trip. Took it.. Booked as A/G respectively off a K/V ticket.

Just booked partner on DL.Dumb and was offered the same fare. During booking FC was $520. In the check-out process I was offered to u/g for $85/per person each way. Since I wanted to make sure he got the ug as a GM, I went ahead and purchased it. I used miles and cash. I guess I could have booked the ticket in Y and hoped for the same $116, hoping for the upgrade, but I did not push my luck. His ticket booked as A/G as well.

So the $116 offer for a total of 1900 miles RT was not bad. Had I not been traveling with partner, I am divided as to if I would have gone for the $170...

I'll take the extra MQM's in hope that I can gain status quicker and move to gain status on a second airline next year.

Now the interesting part of this is that earlier in the day, I was trying to book the same flights.. At that time, the base fare for the ticket in Y was $460 Q/V. I did not book because I needed to confirm my times with partner. Good thing I did not book then I will take the FC ticket for $6 more than I was going to pay earlier

While I find this a good deal, I do not see how anyone can really claim that DL is going to make a lot MORE money off this FCM business. Sure they are monetizing FC, $6 at a time... Heck we have now broken the TOD barrier..

I may just have to stick around to play this game as long as it lasts...
Old Dec 17, 2014, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by RaflW
They've done at least some variable pricing on EC since inception. My first TATL in EC cost $60, in a 763. On the A332/333 the same sector was $80 I think, just a few months later.

I have no doubt that they will be testing price tolerance for C+. Part of why people, including me, blew up when they announced no GM C+ at purchase was specifically because a lof of FTs knew immediately that the goal was ECM.

As an FO, I foresee more competition for domestic exit row seats.

But DL is a business, and they feel they have the pricing power right now. We'll see over time if they're right.
My issue with doing ECM is a lot of elites book a lot closer to flight times than non-status occasional leisure travelers meaning there will be no EC aisles at time of booking. It's hard enough now to find EC aisle seatings when booking a flight less than a month out (not sure if holding EC seats backs until t-72 for gold's will help with that or not since there is a good possibility those aisle EC seats are already occupied by people paying or other PMs/DMs).

If getting EC seats becomes as difficult as FC upgrades are becoming, I can see Delta no longer allowing FO's, and possibly gold's to book exit row and other coveted front of the bus seats at time of booking or even to start selling exit rows for something like $10 or $20 to non-status at time of booking
Old Dec 17, 2014, 9:33 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
...and I'll be the first to admit that I have done a couple FCM's lately just so I could be assured the flexibility of changing the flight time where I would have stuck with the economy fare otherwise so I guess it's working as far as selling more FCM tickets
I bought a bunch of LAX-SEA tickets around this time last year to take advantage of the Double MQM (plus I like Seattle ) A couple of them were 6 and 9 months out and I ended up FCM-ing for about $120 (on a $200 ticket) so I could SDC. Some friends ended up flying in to meet me and I was able -- without hassle or stress -- to adjust my schedule to fit theirs.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 10:50 pm

Programs: Delta KM/DM, Hyatt GP Plat, HHonors Gold
How about taking FCM a step further...would you pay to UG your UG? What if you were offered a buy-up from R to A, which would result in the additional MQMs and the SDC benefit? I'd consider it for the right price.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GoHogsAR
How about taking FCM a step further...would you pay to UG your UG? What if you were offered a buy-up from R to A, which would result in the additional MQMs and the SDC benefit? I'd consider it for the right price.
Are you talking an upgrade done via miles or RU/GU? For domestic trips it's my understanding that you can SDC on those as well which is another way people can game the system. If the flight you want doesn't inventory for miles/RU (not that a lot of flights do anyway) what's to stop someone from booking a less desirable flight and then SDCing into the flight they want 24 hours out?

I wouldn't put it past Delta to offer an "enhancement" at time of purchase where you can pay an extra charge and be giving bonus MQM's like they do with the RDM mileage boost and allow you to SDC providing there is an empty seat in coach.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
While I find this a good deal, I do not see how anyone can really claim that DL is going to make a lot MORE money off this FCM business. Sure they are monetizing FC, $6 at a time... Heck we have now broken the TOD barrier..
Keep in mind, they did not promise wall Street how much money they would make off of FCM... only that they would get the percentage of sold FC seats up to 75 to 80%.

Folks will just have to book early before the $6 UGs are all sold out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.