Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Joint Venture Between Korean Air and Delta Announced — Effective as of May 1, 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 29, 2017, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWAforever
DL/KE current flights between ICN and North America:

Originally Posted by kop84
Currently KE has ATL, ORD, DFW, HNL, IAH, LAS, LAX, JFK, SFO, SEA, IAD, YYZ and YVR

DL currently (or soon) has SEA, DTW, ATL

Update from Delta News Hub (28MARCH17):

http://news.delta.com/delta-and-kore...nd-partnership

Will this mean a move from Group 4 partner to Group 1? Delta SkyMiles PR rep says:

"... the details you’re looking for will be figured out further down the road"

Further from the Delta press release on the date of the JV agreement being signed, 6/23/17:

Delta and Korean Air will lay the groundwork for implementing all aspects of the joint venture, subject to regulatory approvals, including:
  • Expanded codesharing in the trans-Pacific market
    • Joint sales and marketing initiatives in Asia and the United States
      • Colocation at key hubs with seamless passenger and baggage transit experience
        • Enhanced frequent flyer benefits, providing customers of both airlines the ability to earn and redeem miles on Delta's SkyMiles and Korean Air's SKYPASS programs
          • Increased belly cargo cooperation across the trans-Pacific
            • Under the agreement, the airlines will also share costs and revenues on flights within the scope of the joint venture as they work to expand service options for travelers.

It cited no date for the enhanced FF benefits to be effective.

New Delta SkyMiles mileage earn chart, including MQMs and MQDs, for Korean Air flights effective May 1, 2018. See posts #566 and #567 for details.
Print Wikipost

Joint Venture Between Korean Air and Delta Announced — Effective as of May 1, 2018

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2019, 12:55 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by RealHJ
Still KE provides a lot more to DL than DL provides to KE, I would guess.
Cool guess. This is why everyone advocates redeeming Skypass Miles to fly mainland to HI on Delta, right?

Or why 9 seats are available out of DTW in Delta One using Virgin miles?
Old Aug 20, 2019, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
KE TPAC J

I have been redeeming TPAC J on KE with Skymiles at DL.com for 140k for the last few years.
Better and easier availabilities than D1.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 9:18 am

Programs: DL-DM, Hilton-Dia
Seat assignment question

Because DL killed their NRT-SIN flight, I now am INC-SIN on KE. I am using GU and not only lost upgrade on that portion, but cannot get advanced seat assignment on KE because original ticket fare “doesn’t qualify”. What DL main cabin fares quality for seat assignment on KE?
Old Aug 21, 2019, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by 1Banker
Because DL killed their NRT-SIN flight, I now am INC-SIN on KE. I am using GU and not only lost upgrade on that portion, but cannot get advanced seat assignment on KE because original ticket fare “doesn’t qualify”. What DL main cabin fares quality for seat assignment on KE?
Were you already upgraded? If so you should still be in J. Callback and get fixed. They can route via PVG and MU or in some cases NRT and NH.
PeggyJM and btonkid12345 like this.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Just to confirm no mileage upgrades using SkyMiles available at this point?

Looking at a likely SIN - ICN flight that is booking into B with KE (thanks DL for killing SIN/NRT forcing me this direction) -- would love to use miles to upgrade to J on that flight if possible (and a reasonable fare).
Old Nov 15, 2020, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
KE owner Hanjin Kal is acquiring Asiana. Wonder what impact this has on the JV. I assume KE stays put in SkyTeam and Asiana disappears eventually as a brand (and leaves *A) with the assets moving under the KE brand.

https://uk.reuters.com/article/us-as...-idUKKBN27W04W
BenA likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2020, 6:55 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Duke787
KE owner Hanjin Kal is acquiring Asiana. Wonder what impact this has on the JV. I assume KE stays put in SkyTeam and Asiana disappears eventually as a brand (and leaves *A) with the assets moving under the KE brand.

https://uk.reuters.com/article/us-as...-idUKKBN27W04W
I agree it's likely KE stays in SkyTeam, or at least stays partnered with DL.

Delta is heavily dependent on the KE partnership now, while United has a number of other partnerships in the region other than Asiana (and very close cooperation with ANA).

This is a bold move and a huge turnaround for an airline that was on the brink of collapse a few short years ago. I do think it's a smart move on the Korean government's part to merge two struggling airlines into one ultra-powerful one, although they may come to regret the move when there's very little domestic competition in the future.

The bigger mess is going to be ICN: getting between Terminal 1 and Terminal 2 is a huge fiasco, which was fine when there were almost no cross-airline connections but now may be a decision the airport authority regrets...
Old Nov 15, 2020, 7:55 pm
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
Originally Posted by Duke787
As far as I can tell from some quick research, OZ has ATI with UA but doesn't have a coordinated joint venture in the 2020 sense of the term, and KE only has one with DL. These joint ventures are incredibly valuable to airlines, and the US aviation market is the largest in the world. I'm not sure how much success the DL/KE joint venture has had so far (ICN doesn't quite seem like the AMS of Asia yet), but it's likely that both players will wish to hang on to and expand it.
Old Nov 16, 2020, 7:03 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by BenA
The bigger mess is going to be ICN: getting between Terminal 1 and Terminal 2 is a huge fiasco, which was fine when there were almost no cross-airline connections but now may be a decision the airport authority regrets...
It is not an ideal setup, but I don't know that it's a disaster -- there is an airside-ish (international but not post security) train connecting the terminals and the midfield concourse, so passengers have to take the train to wherever they are departing from and go through security there, and then can't move to other terminals/concourses. I think pretty much all connecting passengers at ICN have to reclear security anyway, so it doesn't really matter if you have to take the train to another building before doing so. As long as Korean has lounges in each of their departing areas, it doesn't really affect passengers too badly -- it's similar to how you can't just visit another terminal at LHR after clearing security, for example (and much easier than LHR for connecting passengers making inter-terminal transfers). It does limit Korean's flexibility somewhat in that they can't change gate assignments from one building to another close to departure, but manageable.

Given that Asiana is much smaller than Korean, and given the contraction in the industry overall, I wouldn't be surprised if the entire operation can fit in T2 for a while, and perhaps Korean's kingdom eventually becomes T2 plus the concourse while foreign carriers and perhaps the LCCs take over T1.

The only part I'm not sure about is how domestic->international connections at ICN work? It also limits the ability to eventually move to a system like in Europe where passengers on inbound flights from some countries are able to do I->I connections without reclearing security, but I don't know of any major Asian hubs that allow that right now anyway.
Old Nov 16, 2020, 9:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

Delta is heavily dependent on the KE partnership now, while United has a number of other partnerships in the region other than Asiana (and very close cooperation with ANA).

This is a bold move and a huge turnaround for an airline that was on the brink of collapse a few short years ago. I do think it's a smart move on the Korean government's part to merge two struggling airlines into one ultra-powerful one, although they may come to regret the move when there's very little domestic competition in the future.

There are some LCCs operating in South Korea, especially to leisure destinations. I'm not sure how much international (primarily within Asia--I'm thinking of Air Asia affiliates and similar, plus some LCC offspring of major Asian carriers such as SQ and CX, to the extent they still exist) LCC service touches South Korea.
Old Nov 16, 2020, 9:47 am

I would bet there is enough competition from rail and other transit modes to keep domestic fares reasonable.
Old Nov 17, 2020, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Right. I highly doubt EVA and SIA would vote to welcome KE into *A and same for CX in OW.
Old Nov 17, 2020, 5:28 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by bgriff
It is not an ideal setup, but I don't know that it's a disaster -- there is an airside-ish (international but not post security) train connecting the terminals and the midfield concourse, so passengers have to take the train to wherever they are departing from and go through security there, and then can't move to other terminals/concourses. I think pretty much all connecting passengers at ICN have to reclear security anyway, so it doesn't really matter if you have to take the train to another building before doing so.
Typically one has to go through security re-check before getting into the terminal and being able to go on the train. The two separate trains T1-"concourse" and T2-"concourse" are post security. (But may be it's different if you arrive in the "concourse," that mid-terminal satellite building.)

The annoying thing is that there is no direct T1 to T2 train. You have to get out at the "concourse" and scan your boarding pass, and only if you have a flight departing on the other terminal can you get through the gates to the train going to that terminal - making connections difficult if you couldn't do OLCI all the way through (but just manually entering a valid number departing from the subject terminal works, which renders the whole gate between the two train loops sort of meaningless). I think that could be readily remedied by making the train go T1->"concourse"->T2, and vice versa, directly, vs. only T1<->"concourse" and "concourse<->T2 as is the case now, requiring the connection, which is a bit annoying, and takes up valuable time.

That being said, connecting between terminals at ICN will get you a good cardio workout, as it's usually quite a distance to the train, and then to the gates, so if KE or ST operates in both terminals the MCT will have to go up. I bet it'll be just T2 + "concourse" for KE and ST, with T1 for all non-ST airlines.
Old Nov 18, 2020, 7:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Before T2 was opened, the concourse was used by KE partners such as DL and the KE lounge offered there for partner flights was inferior to the one in the main T1 building used by KE flights. I hope DL isn't relegated to the concourse at ICN ever again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.