Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Joint Venture Between Korean Air and Delta Announced — Effective as of May 1, 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 29, 2017, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWAforever
DL/KE current flights between ICN and North America:

Originally Posted by kop84
Currently KE has ATL, ORD, DFW, HNL, IAH, LAS, LAX, JFK, SFO, SEA, IAD, YYZ and YVR

DL currently (or soon) has SEA, DTW, ATL

Update from Delta News Hub (28MARCH17):

http://news.delta.com/delta-and-kore...nd-partnership

Will this mean a move from Group 4 partner to Group 1? Delta SkyMiles PR rep says:

"... the details you’re looking for will be figured out further down the road"

Further from the Delta press release on the date of the JV agreement being signed, 6/23/17:

Delta and Korean Air will lay the groundwork for implementing all aspects of the joint venture, subject to regulatory approvals, including:
  • Expanded codesharing in the trans-Pacific market
    • Joint sales and marketing initiatives in Asia and the United States
      • Colocation at key hubs with seamless passenger and baggage transit experience
        • Enhanced frequent flyer benefits, providing customers of both airlines the ability to earn and redeem miles on Delta's SkyMiles and Korean Air's SKYPASS programs
          • Increased belly cargo cooperation across the trans-Pacific
            • Under the agreement, the airlines will also share costs and revenues on flights within the scope of the joint venture as they work to expand service options for travelers.

It cited no date for the enhanced FF benefits to be effective.

New Delta SkyMiles mileage earn chart, including MQMs and MQDs, for Korean Air flights effective May 1, 2018. See posts #566 and #567 for details.
Print Wikipost

Joint Venture Between Korean Air and Delta Announced — Effective as of May 1, 2018

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2018, 2:54 pm

Programs: Delta SM, ICH PLAT
Originally Posted by kjnangre
As a Platinum, you get an extra 80% RDM. MQD is based on distance flown. Fare paid has no impact on anything (other than your wallet, of course)

MQM = 150% = 9936 miles Correct
RDM = 200% 280% = 13248 18547 miles
MQD = 40% fare distance = $2000 $2650
Thanks! I had to go to the link and read note 3 and 4 to realize my mistake.
Mountain Explorer likes this.
Old May 3, 2018, 2:57 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by chunky649
Thanks! I had to go to the link and read note 3 and 4 to realize my mistake.
No problem. It is definitely neither obvious nor logical. But it is what it is.
Old May 3, 2018, 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by LonghaulCommuter
Does anyone know if Medallion members could reserved economy seats in advance on KE marketed flights and whether upper tier members can choose preferred seats like we can on KLM?
I’m looking for this answer myself. As a SkyTeam Elite+ and DDM I always feel 3rd class when on KE. Flying next week ICN to LAX and still don’t have an assigned seat (X fare)
Old May 4, 2018, 12:36 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by fromYXU
Have I missed something... No formal announcement or email. Why the silence from Delta?
It does seem a bit strange they haven't posted anything e.g. on the news hub yet, but I did just receive an email:

Name:  Screenshot 2018-05-04 at 14.33.55.png
Views: 2855
Size:  223.5 KB
Old May 4, 2018, 12:47 pm

Programs: DL DM, 2 MM; Hilton Diamond
GUCs on Korean Air!

Just got an email:

Valid on Delta-marketed, Korean Air-operated flights for use globally on Delta's published fares booked in Y or B class to Korean Air's Z class, or booked in M class to Korean Air's O class.

Glad the JV is going somewhere
Old May 4, 2018, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Just punched in SEA-ICN at the far end of the current booking calendar. Look like mileage availability is still at 1 Business Class and 2 Economy seats being released for KE flights.
Old May 8, 2018, 11:53 am

Programs: DL Diamond/1MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
This was extremely convenient to happen right before my previously booked ICN-ATL-VPS route (on a B fare). Very much appreciated, DL/KE. 11,480 miles OW thank you very much.
Old May 8, 2018, 12:25 pm

Programs: Delta DM, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, H.com Gold^3, lowly something on others...
Do NOT book DL-coded KE flights - per new policy, no seat selection and no on-line check in, which means, you get your seat assigned when you check in at the airport and likely will end up with middle seat. SkyTeam Elite/Elite Plus preferred seat benefit does not apply to KE.
Old May 8, 2018, 12:38 pm

Programs: DL Diamond/1MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by wlau
Do NOT book DL-coded KE flights - per new policy, no seat selection and no on-line check in, which means, you get your seat assigned when you check in at the airport and likely will end up with middle seat. SkyTeam Elite/Elite Plus preferred seat benefit does not apply to KE.
Where did you hear this? I flew KE last Friday and was able to select a seat in advance by calling. Didn't online check-in but was able to use the Morning Calm line (no Sky Priority line) at the new ICN T2. KE doesn't have preferred seating; all the economy seats are the same basically (and they are definitely more comfortable than DL economy, and comparable to C+ with pitch).
Old May 8, 2018, 1:18 pm

Programs: Delta DM, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, H.com Gold^3, lowly something on others...
Originally Posted by dmarge18
Where did you hear this? I flew KE last Friday and was able to select a seat in advance by calling. Didn't online check-in but was able to use the Morning Calm line (no Sky Priority line) at the new ICN T2. KE doesn't have preferred seating; all the economy seats are the same basically (and they are definitely more comfortable than DL economy, and comparable to C+ with pitch).
Customer Relations.. just got off the phone with them... told me there is a new policy posted in the system dated 5/8.

The issue is I ticketed the flight with a seat assignment that was firm enough to be on the receipt but KE unseated it. Diamond and codeshare desks try to seat me many times and they too can't make it stick. I then dealt with ICN Terminal 2 managers, they all told me advance seat selection is not available to Delta passengers. Basically DL just confirmed it to me today, which was not the case last week. I came back on Saturday - and they did musical chair with my seat assignment.

I also kept screenshots from KE website for 1) advance seat request; 2) 24 til check-in, in which their system threw back error message saying codeshare flight is not eligible. I used both 006 ticket number and a KE locator in my attempts and all failed. I subsequently ran into some PM and DM at the KE lounge in ICN, they too cannot check-in or select seat.

I should be more clearer - i recommend DO NOT book TPAC segment on KE. The Intra-Asia segment is probably bearable if you are only flying for 2 hours even if you can't select your seat.

I came into ICN with CI flight, which landed in T1, and had to do this bus ride from T1 to T2, which was like 30 min of non-stop driving. It felt like driving between San Jose airport and San Francisco airport, very far, but when I looked at my GPS records, T1 and T2 are not that far apart, but the roads are build to go around the super long way. If you want to cut that time down a bit, you can take paid train!! Yes, airport transfer requires paid train - that's a freaking joke!
Old May 8, 2018, 1:39 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
Just punched in SEA-ICN at the far end of the current booking calendar. Look like mileage availability is still at 1 Business Class and 2 Economy seats being released for KE flights.
...and generally (at least on most routes) only Mon-Thu, with Fri-Sun blocked (though it comes and goes; if you are persistent and check tirelessly you may be able to book a KE award on Fri-Sun sometimes); and with some longer flights completely blocked and never ever available, as it's been for quite a few years now.

So, the JV is pretty pointless from this perspective and has brought nothing. Unlikely that it will.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 3:36 pm

Programs: Delta DM | Hyatt Globalist
Back in June I was impacted by Delta dropping SEA-HKG on which I had successfully cleared 4 GUCs. After some back-and-forth with the DM desk I was able to get confirmed upgrades on KE via ICN and noticed that I'm coded in Z. Looking at the KE earning chart Z is no longer listed for the chart effective May 1, 2018.

Any ideas on what the MQM and RDM rates are for KE Z?
Old Jul 31, 2018, 5:33 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by JAeX
Back in June I was impacted by Delta dropping SEA-HKG on which I had successfully cleared 4 GUCs. After some back-and-forth with the DM desk I was able to get confirmed upgrades on KE via ICN and noticed that I'm coded in Z. Looking at the KE earning chart Z is no longer listed for the chart effective May 1, 2018.

Any ideas on what the MQM and RDM rates are for KE Z?
It may be operated by KE, but are you sure you don't have a DL flight number? If so, the DL earnings chart applies, and Z is standard discounted business fare

If it's truly Z on KE, then you will earn absolutely nothing. Any fare codes not specifically mentioned on the fare chart earn zero MQM, MQD, RDM
Old Jul 31, 2018, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by kjnangre
It may be operated by KE, but are you sure you don't have a DL flight number? If so, the DL earnings chart applies, and Z is standard discounted business fare

If it's truly Z on KE, then you will earn absolutely nothing. Any fare codes not specifically mentioned on the fare chart earn zero MQM, MQD, RDM
When you used a GUC they flights change from DL coded to operating airline code.

Technically you only are supposed to earn based on what you paid. However if the fare class is an earning one you end up due to system issue earning based on the upgraded flight. Since Z doesn't earn you'll end up needing to request credit manually. Thus likely will earn as you technically should based on the un-upgraded flights.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 8:10 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.77MM, Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by flyerCO
When you used a GUC they flights change from DL coded to operating airline code.

Technically you only are supposed to earn based on what you paid. However if the fare class is an earning one you end up due to system issue earning based on the upgraded flight. Since Z doesn't earn you'll end up needing to request credit manually. Thus likely will earn as you technically should based on the un-upgraded flights.
Similar issue with VS flight upgraded via GUC - clears into G class which earns nothing (award fare code). Required quite a bit of back and forth with the SkyMiles folks but eventually got there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.