Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Joint Venture Between Korean Air and Delta Announced — Effective as of May 1, 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 29, 2017, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWAforever
DL/KE current flights between ICN and North America:

Originally Posted by kop84
Currently KE has ATL, ORD, DFW, HNL, IAH, LAS, LAX, JFK, SFO, SEA, IAD, YYZ and YVR

DL currently (or soon) has SEA, DTW, ATL

Update from Delta News Hub (28MARCH17):

http://news.delta.com/delta-and-kore...nd-partnership

Will this mean a move from Group 4 partner to Group 1? Delta SkyMiles PR rep says:

"... the details you’re looking for will be figured out further down the road"

Further from the Delta press release on the date of the JV agreement being signed, 6/23/17:

Delta and Korean Air will lay the groundwork for implementing all aspects of the joint venture, subject to regulatory approvals, including:
  • Expanded codesharing in the trans-Pacific market
    • Joint sales and marketing initiatives in Asia and the United States
      • Colocation at key hubs with seamless passenger and baggage transit experience
        • Enhanced frequent flyer benefits, providing customers of both airlines the ability to earn and redeem miles on Delta's SkyMiles and Korean Air's SKYPASS programs
          • Increased belly cargo cooperation across the trans-Pacific
            • Under the agreement, the airlines will also share costs and revenues on flights within the scope of the joint venture as they work to expand service options for travelers.

It cited no date for the enhanced FF benefits to be effective.

New Delta SkyMiles mileage earn chart, including MQMs and MQDs, for Korean Air flights effective May 1, 2018. See posts #566 and #567 for details.
Print Wikipost

Joint Venture Between Korean Air and Delta Announced — Effective as of May 1, 2018

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2018, 3:28 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond
this is great, since KE flights are cheaper to Asia for us.
Old May 2, 2018, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
I find that if you try to actually book with DL flight numbers the price is nearly 3x - e.g., SFO-BKK for $3551 vs. $9660.
KE SFO-ICN is a ridiculous fare when booking under DL codeshare. It's several thousand dollars cheaper to go via SEA $11K vs $7K for a late July schedule

UA non stops are always the best prices SFO - ICN so hopefully we'll see come competition now fare wise.
Old May 2, 2018, 5:50 pm

Programs: DL Charter DM/DM/2MM, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by sdix
KE SFO-ICN is a ridiculous fare when booking under DL codeshare. It's several thousand dollars cheaper to go via SEA $11K vs $7K for a late July schedule

UA non stops are always the best prices SFO - ICN so hopefully we'll see come competition now fare wise.
Absolute rubbish! I just booked SFO>ICN>SFO in Prestige Class on KE, for $3,726 R/T, on DL.com (DL codeshare), departing July 23, returning July 30! You need to get your facts straight if you're going to write stuff here!
Old May 3, 2018, 5:29 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Platinum
The Y-B-M business----is this peculiar to Korean Air or does it apply to all GUC use? Where did you find this information?
Old May 3, 2018, 5:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
It's in the details of GUCs as a Choice benefit.

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...ml#certificate

7. Applicable Fare Classes: Certificate may be used to upgrade on Delta Air Lines or certain Delta Connection operated flights on published retail fares booked in P, A, G, W, Y, B, M, H, Q, K, L, U, T, X or V class and upgrade into RY/OY class, and may also be used to upgrade on Pay with Miles tickets and Companion Certificates. Certificate may not be used to upgrade other published fares including those booked in E class, or Award Tickets. For travel on KLM-operated, Delta-marketed flights this certificate may be used to upgrade on published fares booked in Y, B, M, H, Q, K, L, U, T, X or V class and all fare classes upgrade into Z class. For travel on KLM-operated flights marketed by either Delta or Air France, this certificate may be used to upgrade on published fares booked in Y, B, or M class. Fares booked in B or M are eligible to upgrade into O class, while fares booked in Y are eligible to upgrade into Z class. For Air France-operated flights marketed by either Delta, KLM, or Air France, Y, M, or M fare can upgrade into A class (Premium Voyageur class). In addition, customers booked in an Air France-marketed and operated W or S class as well as customers booked in an Air France-operated, Delta-marketed P, A, or G class can upgrade to O class (Affaires or Business Class). For travel on Aeromexico operated, Delta marketed flights this certificate may be used to upgrade on Delta`s published fares booked in W, Y, B, M, H, Q, K, L, U, T, X or V class and all fare classes upgrade into Aeromexico`s O class. Valid on Delta-marketed, Virgin Atlantic-operated flights for use globally on published Economy Cabin fares booked in W, Y, B, M, H, Q, K, L, U, T, X or V class to Upper Class. Valid on Delta-marketed, Korean Air-operated flights for use globally on Delta's published fares booked in Y or B class to Korean Air's Z class, or booked in M class to Korean Air's O class.
Xeno, MSPeconomist and Dalewood like this.
Old May 3, 2018, 8:15 am

Programs: QR PC Platinum, TK M&S elite, UA silver, ITA Voltaire Executive (lol), Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Apex suites on KE 380s?

Anyone know if KE is planning on upgrading their J on their a380’s to the Apex Suites they’ve been using on their 748s, 789s, 77Ws, and some 330s? Being based in JFK and having to travel every few months to SE Asia, my only one stop ST options that get me full MQMs are MU and occasionally AF/KL (when the schedules work out and time is not of the essence, but I mostly end up on MU). MU has reverse herringbone J on their JFK to PVG flights while KE has pretty outdated J seats. While the soft product is far superior on KE than MU, currently MU’s hard product is superior on this route, so I will probably be stuck using them on my upcoming trips. However, if KE does install the Apex Suites on their 380s or they switch equipment to 748/77W/789 on one or both of the flights, I will absolutely start using them with the tier 1 change.
Old May 3, 2018, 8:35 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by fender5787
Anyone know if KE is planning on upgrading their J on their a380’s to the Apex Suites they’ve been using on their 748s, 789s, 77Ws, and some 330s? Being based in JFK and having to travel every few months to SE Asia, my only one stop ST options that get me full MQMs are MU and occasionally AF/KL (when the schedules work out and time is not of the essence, but I mostly end up on MU). MU has reverse herringbone J on their JFK to PVG flights while KE has pretty outdated J seats. While the soft product is far superior on KE than MU, currently MU’s hard product is superior on this route, so I will probably be stuck using them on my upcoming trips. However, if KE does install the Apex Suites on their 380s or they switch equipment to 748/77W/789 on one or both of the flights, I will absolutely start using them with the tier 1 change.
KE does have a really nice skybar on the A380, I spent several hours back there making friends on my last flight. I agree, doesn't make up for the seat tho.
fender5787 likes this.
Old May 3, 2018, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Issue will be that O is basically non existent on KE since it is the low level award... so unless KE opens up more than 1 or two low award seats per flight you're not going to be able to use a GUC from M fare.
The B fare is probably more expensive than a discounted Z fare also...
Old May 3, 2018, 9:38 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by rylan
Issue will be that O is basically non existent on KE since it is the low level award... so unless KE opens up more than 1 or two low award seats per flight you're not going to be able to use a GUC from M fare.
The B fare is probably more expensive than a discounted Z fare also...
Agreed. The whole perk of GUCs (ostensibly, at least) is that you're able to fly in J without spending a fortune; the cost difference between a high fare class in Y versus discounted J can be pretty minimal, so it kind of renders the benefit moot when it's restricted to Y/B/M fare classes.

I'm sure for that reason that not too many people end up using their GUCs on AF flights, and the value is pretty eroded with this rule for KE now as well.
Old May 3, 2018, 10:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Are there corresponding slight improvements in our possibilities for using miles to upgrade KE operated flights? This has been under the SkyTeam upgrade award program, which requires a FULL Y fare.
Old May 3, 2018, 10:37 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
What a complete joke. This is useless for anyone but those who buy last minute near full Y corporate fares and just wanna sacrifice a GUC (and still at the mercy of Korean's super stingy 'O' availability)
Old May 3, 2018, 12:51 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond; Hilton Diamond; Accor Gold
Have I missed something... No formal announcement or email. Why the silence from Delta?
Old May 3, 2018, 2:24 pm

Programs: Delta SM, ICH PLAT
Sorry for the newbie question, but what would I get for the following (made up) example:

YYZ - ICN Price paid $5000 Fare class D (discounted business). I am Delta PLAT.

Actual mileage = 6624 miles
MQM = 150% = 9936 miles
RDM = 200% = 13248 miles
MQD = 40% fare = $2000
Do I get anything more for being PLAT?
Old May 3, 2018, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"Medallion Mileage Bonus is based on Base Miles earned: Diamond - 120%; Platinum - 80%; Gold - 60%; Silver - 40%"
Old May 3, 2018, 2:36 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by chunky649
Sorry for the newbie question, but what would I get for the following (made up) example:

YYZ - ICN Price paid $5000 Fare class D (discounted business). I am Delta PLAT.

Actual mileage = 6624 miles
MQM = 150% = 9936 miles
RDM = 200% = 13248 miles
MQD = 40% fare = $2000
Do I get anything more for being PLAT?
As a Platinum, you get an extra 80% RDM. MQD is based on distance flown. Fare paid has no impact on anything (other than your wallet, of course)

MQM = 150% = 9936 miles Correct
RDM = 200% 280% = 13248 18547 miles
MQD = 40% fare distance = $2000 $2650

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.