Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Using multiple companion certificates on one fare?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2014, 5:30 pm
Original Poster

Hi. I have a platinum amex card with delta, and this year when I renewed the card, I got the companion certificate as expected. Then, out of the blue, about a week later, I got another email with another certificate. I checked my delta certificates wallet and there are 2 companion certificates listed there. I've waited a few months now for them to realize the mistake and take one away, but they haven't.

So I'm wondering if anyone knows if it is possible to use multiple companion certificates with one regular fare? I have googled this situation and found nothing, and I can't find anything relevant in the T&C's of the certificate other than "The certificate cannot be combined with another offer or discount including, but not limited to, web fares, sale fares and eCoupons", which I'm not sure applies in this case.

If not, I have seen conflicting info on here about transferring the certificate. Could I transfer it to my wife so that we can each buy a ticket and each use the companion cert for one kid?

Any ideas?
Old Aug 9, 2014, 8:54 pm

Programs: DL DM
Certificates do not need to be transfered. There is nothing that says the cardholder has to be one if the passengers. Anyone can use the companion cert. The only thing is that the tickets must be charged to an Amex card. Doesn't even need to be charged to your card.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 12:46 pm

Programs: Marriott/SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
I use this every year from my account to book seats for spouse & child. No need to "transfer" it, just book but put them as pax. Of course if they are in coach, they will not have any free bags or EC privs since you are not traveling. My spouse has GM on her own though so not a problem. The primary passenger (spouse) gets the miles, the companion doesn't.

One annoying restriction is you can only book 1 passenger plus one companion, the engine can't handle more people. Not a problem for us, we have 2 kids and we generally travel as 2 separate reservations of 2 people anyhow. She is GM, I'm GM, we both get our pick of preferred seating and it's usually not important to us to sit on the same row or anything.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.