Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Is there any chance of getting upgraded on transcon (LAX-JFK) w/ miles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2014, 3:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Riteaid wellness+ Gold, PlanetFitness Preferred Black, Hyatt Cubic Zirconia, Hallmark Crown Platinum

I thought I'd ask this question before my risk-free cancellation passes:

I have a trip to Australia coming up, and per the company policy, the best I can book is premium economy class. Because DL doesn't have premium economy cabin, it looks like my ticket is getting booked into Y-fare.

My current itinerary is as follows:
Sunday afternoon: LGA-ATL (Y)
Sunday evening: ATL-LAX (Y)
Sunday evening: LAX-SYD (W)
Friday afternoon: SYD-LAX (W)
Friday afternoon: LAX-JFK (Y)

My understanding is that for the first two (LGA-ATL, ATL-LAX) Y-fare should give me fairly good chance of getting an upgrade.

However, for LAX-JFK one, I currently have upgrade-with-miles on standby (which shows up as systemwide upgrade requested) which will be lost at T-24.

So - is there any chance of getting the transcon upgrade with miles? or should I just book for LAX-ATL-LGA route which will give a good amount of certainty for an upgrade?
Old Aug 11, 2014, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by IIIIIIIIIIllllllllll
I thought I'd ask this question before my risk-free cancellation passes:

I have a trip to Australia coming up, and per the company policy, the best I can book is premium economy class. Because DL doesn't have premium economy cabin, it looks like my ticket is getting booked into Y-fare.

My current itinerary is as follows:
Sunday afternoon: LGA-ATL (Y)
Sunday evening: ATL-LAX (Y)
Sunday evening: LAX-SYD (W)
Friday afternoon: SYD-LAX (W)
Friday afternoon: LAX-JFK (Y)

My understanding is that for the first two (LGA-ATL, ATL-LAX) Y-fare should give me fairly good chance of getting an upgrade.

However, for LAX-JFK one, I currently have upgrade-with-miles on standby (which shows up as systemwide upgrade requested) which will be lost at T-24.

So - is there any chance of getting the transcon upgrade with miles? or should I just book for LAX-ATL-LGA route which will give a good amount of certainty for an upgrade?
With commuter traffic, DL may have good success selling these seats on a Friday. As such, they may not release UG inventory in advance.

For may FTers' experiences with UGs, see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...ve-thread.html.

Old Aug 11, 2014, 4:06 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Platinum 100, National Executive Elite
That being said, Delta has been releasing O inventory about 3 days in advance of the flight, and some SFO-JFK, and SEA-JFK have existing O inventory
Old Aug 11, 2014, 4:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Riteaid wellness+ Gold, PlanetFitness Preferred Black, Hyatt Cubic Zirconia, Hallmark Crown Platinum
Thank you! I think I may play safe and take the LAX-ATL-LGA flights on the way back as well.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you! I think I may play safe and take the LAX-ATL-LGA flights on the way back as well.
Keep in mind, per conversations in the other thread, LAX ATL can be a tough UG.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rwoman
Keep in mind, per conversations in the other thread, LAX ATL can be a tough UG.
Ah - that too... Maybe LAX-DTW-LGA?
Old Aug 11, 2014, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ah - that too... Maybe LAX-DTW-LGA?
IME, transcontinental UG lists can be long. Your being on a Y fare will help but there are never any guaranteed UGs.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
since co-terminal SDC isn't available to GM, is there any way to force LAX-xxx-JFK in G/P/A, where the actual underlying fare basis is H/S/Q/K-UP? that way, when you arrive at LAX, you would be able to SDC to BE on the JFK nonstop if there were any open seats
Old Aug 11, 2014, 6:46 pm

Programs: Free Agent Level 2; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA GECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE

I've had pretty good success with SWU/mileage upgrades on the TCON routes since the new policy went into effect, and apparently mileage upgrades can now clear at the gate on these routes. Of course, you need seats available and J does sell out on that route.

Two specific threads:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...x-sfo-sea.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...de-policy.html
Old Aug 11, 2014, 7:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by jrl767
since co-terminal SDC isn't available to GM, is there any way to force LAX-xxx-JFK in G/P/A, where the actual underlying fare basis is H/S/Q/K-UP? that way, when you arrive at LAX, you would be able to SDC to BE on the JFK nonstop if there were any open seats
This would probably mean breaking the fare at LAX. In any case, it would be a FC ticket which the OP's employer forbids.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 7:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by rwoman
With commuter traffic, DL may have good success selling these seats on a Friday. As such, they may not release UG inventory in advance.

For may FTers' experiences with UGs, see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...ve-thread.html.

Rwoman, don't take this he wrong way but you have a history of listing hyperlinks to 'old' threads to answer questions. You are good intentioned but sometimes providing fast and factual information without a hyperlink is essential... end constructive criticism...
Old Aug 12, 2014, 12:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DL2SXM
Rwoman, don't take this he wrong way but you have a history of listing hyperlinks to 'old' threads to answer questions. You are good intentioned but sometimes providing fast and factual information without a hyperlink is essential... end constructive criticism...
Thanks, I've now been admonished accordingly.

Strangely enough, the "OLD" thread was used as recently as last month. And, while I may point someone in the direction of a thread initiated long before I came to FT, it's usually because I'm pretty sure the information seems to be relevant.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 8:46 am
Original Poster

Thank you for all your replies! I think I will take chance with LAX-ATL flight rather than waiting for my upgrade with miles to drop off @ T-24.

It's now:
LGA-ATL (RU)
ATL-LAX (Y)
LAX-SYD (W)
SYD-LAX (W)
LAX-ATL (Y)
ATL-LGA (RU)
Old Aug 12, 2014, 10:15 am
Used to be 'jwienner'

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat, AA Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
That route (ATL-LAX) is pretty tough. Have you checked in your "My delta" to see if it'll sell you an upgrade? I bet a Y fare is pretty close in price to a cheaper business fare. Just a thought. Good luck!
Old Aug 12, 2014, 2:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
rwoman, I wasn't admonishing just offering a little constructive criticism.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.