Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Weather delay or airline delay?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2014, 8:24 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Originally Posted by RobertS975
Several years ago, I was scheduled on the then available PBI-BOS nonstop. The MD88 aircraft was actually coming down from BOS. It went mechanical in BOS... they actually offloaded the passengers and luggage to another MD88 and arrived in PBI almost 2 hours late. On the way up to BOS, we circle over PVD for exactly 8 minutes... the plane arrives in BOS very late, and there are passengers waiting to take that plane down to FLL, now leaving BOS about 2 hours late. The GIDS display in BOS said the departure delay was to to "ATC"... so a 2 hour mechanical delay followed by a 10 minute ATC delay, and now it was all ATC's fault.
The above is the classic excuse where the delay is always attributed to the last factor - especially when it gives the airline an out.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 5:07 am

Got a hotel

I was scheduled to fly out of ORD to LGA on Monday, 7/14/14 but due to weather in the NYC metro area - delayed, rerouted to JFK, then rebooked for a flight on the next morning. Delta agent within the Skyclub at ORD gave me a hotel room for the night... Offered a second room for my traveling companion girlfriend who has no status (I'm a PM). We happily took one room and left.

I simply asked for a hotel room. DMs in the same boat near me were simply asking about hotels in the area and handed little flyers with a listing of hotels they could book and apparently pay for themselves (I saw this happen to two while I was in the line.). Simply asking for a room seemed to work in my case, despite it being a weather related event.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 5:47 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, AA PLT, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
The above is the classic excuse where the delay is always attributed to the last factor - especially when it gives the airline an out.
+1

This is what makes it so infuriating. Had the original plane not gone mx in BOS, the return never would have been caught in the ATC hold. If one were to escalate this up to the DOT with an image of the "ATC Delay" on the DL screen and a synopsis of the actual series of events, how far would DOT take this?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.