Weather delay or airline delay?

Old Jul 14, 14, 7:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, HH Diamond
Weather delay or airline delay?

Recently, I was on a flight from EWR to DTW scheduled to leave at 6:25 pm. At that time, the weather at EWR was good and all planes were leaving. The problem with my flight is that the plane was late coming in due to weather issues elsewhere in the country. The plane finally arrived at around 8:00 pm. By the time they turned the plane around, the bad weather reached EWR and they couldn't fly out. Due to crew work rules, the flight ended getting cancelled at around 11:00 pm. Delta claims that the delay was "weather" related, so they refused to pay for a hotel or provide anything else to the pasengers. I spoke to people at Delta while this was going on, both at the airport and on the phone, and was told by all that the delay was weather related, as weather caused the plane to arrive late at EWR. I think that this is a scheduling delay and I should, at a minimum, get reimbursed for my hotel room. Does anyone know the FAA rules on what is a weather delay and what is an airline-caused delay?
Old Jul 14, 14, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 1MM, AA Plat
Given recent T-storms in the northeast (common in the summer), it's easily possoble WX caused the delays/canx.
Old Jul 14, 14, 7:28 am

Programs: DL DM, AA PLT, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by uofmgrad87 View Post
Recently, I was on a flight from EWR to DTW scheduled to leave at 6:25 pm. At that time, the weather at EWR was good and all planes were leaving. The problem with my flight is that the plane was late coming in due to weather issues elsewhere in the country. The plane finally arrived at around 8:00 pm. By the time they turned the plane around, the bad weather reached EWR and they couldn't fly out. Due to crew work rules, the flight ended getting cancelled at around 11:00 pm. Delta claims that the delay was "weather" related, so they refused to pay for a hotel or provide anything else to the pasengers. I spoke to people at Delta while this was going on, both at the airport and on the phone, and was told by all that the delay was weather related, as weather caused the plane to arrive late at EWR. I think that this is a scheduling delay and I should, at a minimum, get reimbursed for my hotel room. Does anyone know the FAA rules on what is a weather delay and what is an airline-caused delay?
Unfortunately, I don't think you'll have much success in getting DL to pay for your hotel room if weather was a factor in any way. However, please someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but I thought DL took care of their PM/DM's with hotel rooms in weather delays that result in cancellations and an overnight stay being required?
Old Jul 14, 14, 7:37 am
Original Poster

They didn't take care of this DM
Old Jul 14, 14, 8:04 am

Sure sounds like a weather delay.

I wouldn't expect anything and if Delta offered me something due to my status I'd be quite grateful.
Old Jul 14, 14, 8:08 am
Original Poster

So if a plane goes from DTW to BOS to FLL to MCO and there is a snow storm causing a delay on the DTW to BOS leg, then the FLL to MCO leg is delayed due to a snowstorm?
Old Jul 14, 14, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS MVPG 75K
So if a plane goes from DTW to BOS to FLL to MCO and there is a snow storm causing a delay on the DTW to BOS leg, then the FLL to MCO leg is delayed due to a snowstorm?
While some would like to argue that its airlines fault for poor scheduling, DOT see this as a weather delay.
Old Jul 14, 14, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back home in the REAL Washington (SEA); still working occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
don't start ...

upline weather is still "weather"

and if the DTW-BOS crew is going on another jet to ATL, the delay on BOS-ATL will also be considered "weather"
Old Jul 14, 14, 8:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It's of course WX and DL's obligations are only those which it would have for a WX delay at the departure point.

There are those who argue that carriers could do all manner of things to avoid knock-on delays, but none are reasonable. And, more importantly, DOT accepts that WX delays continue. Thus, end of story.
Old Jul 14, 14, 8:22 am

All airlines use the "butterfly effect" to their advantage.

I've had an airline (starts with D) claim a weather delay for an event 3 days in the past ---- "we're still recovering"
Old Jul 14, 14, 9:16 am

Programs: Ex DL-DM. MM. TWA-Aviator Plat. HHonors-DVIP, MR-Gold. Nat-Emerald. Avis Chairmn.
And if it is cloudy out and the pilot oversleeps. Still weather.
Old Jul 14, 14, 9:39 am

Programs: New to United
I was compensated for a "weather" delay/cancellation.

LGA-CLT:

1. We boarded then sat at the gate for 1 hour as pilot says ATC/Delta forgot to enter in a flight plan so they were issuing new one (Storms coming in too)

2. We finally left gate and took 45 mins to taxi on tarmac due to approaching storms and slowdown

3. Right before we were to take off pilot says we had to go back to gate to get more fuel bc our new longer flight plan around storms requires more fuel

4. We get back to gate and they agent comes aboard and cancels flight due to "bad weather" (plus I think pilot timed out)

Delta would not pay for our hotel at LGA saying its weather but I heard some on our plane did get free hotels.

So I wrote Delta explaining how this was really Deltas fault and not weather and they conceded with 20k miles each in mine and wifes account and wrote check for hotel!
Old Jul 14, 14, 8:32 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Several years ago, I was scheduled on the then available PBI-BOS nonstop. The MD88 aircraft was actually coming down from BOS. It went mechanical in BOS... they actually offloaded the passengers and luggage to another MD88 and arrived in PBI almost 2 hours late. On the way up to BOS, we circle over PVD for exactly 8 minutes... the plane arrives in BOS very late, and there are passengers waiting to take that plane down to FLL, now leaving BOS about 2 hours late. The GIDS display in BOS said the departure delay was to to "ATC"... so a 2 hour mechanical delay followed by a 10 minute ATC delay, and now it was all ATC's fault.
Old Jul 14, 14, 9:09 pm

Programs: DL DM(segs)/MM, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Flying out of EWR on a summer evening, you should plan on at least 60 minutes of delay...
Old Jul 14, 14, 9:19 pm

They didn't take care of this DM
Send Delta a copy of your hotel bill...I bet they reimburse you.

Search this Thread