FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Weather delay or airline delay? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1594183-weather-delay-airline-delay.html)

uofmgrad87 Jul 14, 14 7:20 am

Weather delay or airline delay?

Recently, I was on a flight from EWR to DTW scheduled to leave at 6:25 pm. At that time, the weather at EWR was good and all planes were leaving. The problem with my flight is that the plane was late coming in due to weather issues elsewhere in the country. The plane finally arrived at around 8:00 pm. By the time they turned the plane around, the bad weather reached EWR and they couldn't fly out. Due to crew work rules, the flight ended getting cancelled at around 11:00 pm. Delta claims that the delay was "weather" related, so they refused to pay for a hotel or provide anything else to the pasengers. I spoke to people at Delta while this was going on, both at the airport and on the phone, and was told by all that the delay was weather related, as weather caused the plane to arrive late at EWR. I think that this is a scheduling delay and I should, at a minimum, get reimbursed for my hotel room. Does anyone know the FAA rules on what is a weather delay and what is an airline-caused delay?

rwoman Jul 14, 14 7:27 am

Given recent T-storms in the northeast (common in the summer), it's easily possoble WX caused the delays/canx.

clr4t8koff Jul 14, 14 7:28 am

Originally Posted by uofmgrad87 (Post 23192632)
Recently, I was on a flight from EWR to DTW scheduled to leave at 6:25 pm. At that time, the weather at EWR was good and all planes were leaving. The problem with my flight is that the plane was late coming in due to weather issues elsewhere in the country. The plane finally arrived at around 8:00 pm. By the time they turned the plane around, the bad weather reached EWR and they couldn't fly out. Due to crew work rules, the flight ended getting cancelled at around 11:00 pm. Delta claims that the delay was "weather" related, so they refused to pay for a hotel or provide anything else to the pasengers. I spoke to people at Delta while this was going on, both at the airport and on the phone, and was told by all that the delay was weather related, as weather caused the plane to arrive late at EWR. I think that this is a scheduling delay and I should, at a minimum, get reimbursed for my hotel room. Does anyone know the FAA rules on what is a weather delay and what is an airline-caused delay?

Unfortunately, I don't think you'll have much success in getting DL to pay for your hotel room if weather was a factor in any way. However, please someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but I thought DL took care of their PM/DM's with hotel rooms in weather delays that result in cancellations and an overnight stay being required?

uofmgrad87 Jul 14, 14 7:37 am

They didn't take care of this DM

Hal Newhouser Jul 14, 14 8:04 am

Sure sounds like a weather delay.

I wouldn't expect anything and if Delta offered me something due to my status I'd be quite grateful.

uofmgrad87 Jul 14, 14 8:08 am

So if a plane goes from DTW to BOS to FLL to MCO and there is a snow storm causing a delay on the DTW to BOS leg, then the FLL to MCO leg is delayed due to a snowstorm?

CDKing Jul 14, 14 8:13 am

Originally Posted by uofmgrad87 (Post 23192801)
So if a plane goes from DTW to BOS to FLL to MCO and there is a snow storm causing a delay on the DTW to BOS leg, then the FLL to MCO leg is delayed due to a snowstorm?

While some would like to argue that its airlines fault for poor scheduling, DOT see this as a weather delay.

jrl767 Jul 14, 14 8:14 am

don't start ...

upline weather is still "weather"

and if the DTW-BOS crew is going on another jet to ATL, the delay on BOS-ATL will also be considered "weather"

Often1 Jul 14, 14 8:21 am

It's of course WX and DL's obligations are only those which it would have for a WX delay at the departure point.

There are those who argue that carriers could do all manner of things to avoid knock-on delays, but none are reasonable. And, more importantly, DOT accepts that WX delays continue. Thus, end of story.

udontknowme Jul 14, 14 8:22 am

All airlines use the "butterfly effect" to their advantage.

I've had an airline (starts with D) claim a weather delay for an event 3 days in the past ---- "we're still recovering"

tvnwz Jul 14, 14 9:16 am

And if it is cloudy out and the pilot oversleeps. Still weather.

Winkdaddy Jul 14, 14 9:39 am

I was compensated for a "weather" delay/cancellation.

LGA-CLT:

1. We boarded then sat at the gate for 1 hour as pilot says ATC/Delta forgot to enter in a flight plan so they were issuing new one (Storms coming in too)

2. We finally left gate and took 45 mins to taxi on tarmac due to approaching storms and slowdown

3. Right before we were to take off pilot says we had to go back to gate to get more fuel bc our new longer flight plan around storms requires more fuel

4. We get back to gate and they agent comes aboard and cancels flight due to "bad weather" (plus I think pilot timed out)

Delta would not pay for our hotel at LGA saying its weather but I heard some on our plane did get free hotels.

So I wrote Delta explaining how this was really Deltas fault and not weather and they conceded with 20k miles each in mine and wifes account and wrote check for hotel!^

RobertS975 Jul 14, 14 8:32 pm

Several years ago, I was scheduled on the then available PBI-BOS nonstop. The MD88 aircraft was actually coming down from BOS. It went mechanical in BOS... they actually offloaded the passengers and luggage to another MD88 and arrived in PBI almost 2 hours late. On the way up to BOS, we circle over PVD for exactly 8 minutes... the plane arrives in BOS very late, and there are passengers waiting to take that plane down to FLL, now leaving BOS about 2 hours late. The GIDS display in BOS said the departure delay was to to "ATC"... so a 2 hour mechanical delay followed by a 10 minute ATC delay, and now it was all ATC's fault.

HDQDD Jul 14, 14 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by uofmgrad87 (Post 23192632)

Flying out of EWR on a summer evening, you should plan on at least 60 minutes of delay...

emrdoc Jul 14, 14 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by uofmgrad87 (Post 23192696)
They didn't take care of this DM

Send Delta a copy of your hotel bill...I bet they reimburse you.