Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Diamond Tag Theft?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2015, 8:32 pm

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
Originally Posted by AirTheory
A quick search on eBay will tell you these things go for ~60 bucks a pop. Not a bad supplemental income for ramp workers. http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...llion&_sacat=0
If you check the sold listings you can see that some have sold for under $10, and one as high as $150 (2MM).
Old Aug 29, 2015, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by micstatic
totally agree with this. The only time I ever cared about tags is when I first became silver. I was younger and felt special. Time marched on and now I feel exactly as you point out. The tags literally serve no function.
I walk into the guarded Sky Priority lanes without being stopped and asked. Saves about 2.5 seconds each time.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 3:32 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
This makes me laugh... I have a rather large collection of bag tags and elite cards going back to the mid-90s... wish I'd have taken better care of them now as some of the printing on a lot of them has rubbed off... who knew they would be worth $$$ some day! I have several NW Gold tags back from when Gold was the top tier... you were "Preferred" at 25k and Gold at 60k and Gold was it, nothing higher...
Old Aug 29, 2015, 7:26 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by yohanson
I think I get better service because of them. Even gate lice have told me to go ahead when I've been waiting to board.
Add...you can squeeze gate lice in between two DM cards until they go pop!

...to the list
Old Aug 30, 2015, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Had my 1MM diamond tag stolen from a plane-side check on a CRJ900. Tag was there when I handed over the bag in JFK and was gone in BOS when they brought it up to the jetway. Not like its going to get ripped off or fall off from just doing a gate check for one of these planes as the bags are manually handled.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 10:57 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Originally Posted by rylan
Had my 1MM diamond tag stolen from a plane-side check on a CRJ900. Tag was there when I handed over the bag in JFK and was gone in BOS when they brought it up to the jetway. Not like its going to get ripped off or fall off from just doing a gate check for one of these planes as the bags are manually handled.
I just watched one fall of a guy's backpack walking down the jetway. The owner had no clue. I can see it easily happening getting thrown into the hold or even while being removed from the hold. I also wouldn't doubt an enterprising baggage handler or mechanic selling them on Ebay after discovering them in the hold.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 11:09 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
I doubt a ramp agent would risk their career stealing a bag tag and selling it on eBay.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 11:50 pm

Originally Posted by xjamesx
TL;DR: I think a bag handler is stealing DM luggage tags.

Traveling from OAK-LAX I noticed that the Diamond Medallion luggage tag on my gate-checked bag was missing. I figured it had somehow fallen off, which seemed unlikely given that it attached with a metal cable. I had a second tag that was sitting in one of the bag's zip pockets so I just replaced the tag and dismissed the incident.

However on the return flight the same thing happened. This time I actually saw the LAX baggage agent pick up my bag from the jet bridge and I was one of the first people off the plane and I saw the OAK agent put my bag on the jet bridge. This means that the tag had to have vanished while the bag was in the control of the bag handlers.

I think the possibility that two steel cables broke off by chance and did so without damaging the bag's handle is about zero. So I have to conclude that one of the bag handlers is removing the tags. I checked e-bay and it seems the tags are selling for $30-$50 so I'm guessing someone is supplementing his/her income by swiping them and selling them. (They are easy to see on the outside of the bags and easy to remove by unscrewing the cable, so I guess they make nice theft targets.)

I don't much care about the tags, but if someone is stealing those then I'm going to guess the only reason s/he is not stealing other things is because s/he has not had a good opportunity.

Has anyone else had the same thing happen?
Found it!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Delta-Diamon...item2a56fb0dda
Old Aug 31, 2015, 12:04 am

Traveling from OAK-LAX I noticed that the Diamond Medallion luggage tag on my gate-checked bag was missing. I figured it had somehow fallen off, which seemed unlikely given that it attached with a metal cable. I had a second tag that was sitting in one of the bag's zip pockets so I just replaced the tag and dismissed the incident.

However on the return flight the same thing happened. This time I actually saw the LAX baggage agent pick up my bag from the jet bridge and I was one of the first people off the plane and I saw the OAK agent put my bag on the jet bridge. This means that the tag had to have vanished while the bag was in the control of the bag handlers.

I think the possibility that two steel cables broke off by chance and did so without damaging the bag's handle is about zero. So I have to conclude that one of the bag handlers is removing the tags. I checked e-bay and it seems the tags are selling for $30-$50 so I'm guessing someone is supplementing his/her income by swiping them and selling them. (They are easy to see on the outside of the bags and easy to remove by unscrewing the cable, so I guess they make nice theft targets.)

I don't much care about the tags, but if someone is stealing those then I'm going to guess the only reason s/he is not stealing other things is because s/he has not had a good opportunity.

I think it's pretty obvious to everyone what happened to the tags, and that a conspiracy is afoot.

Old Aug 31, 2015, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by yohanson
I just watched one fall of a guy's backpack walking down the jetway. The owner had no clue. I can see it easily happening getting thrown into the hold or even while being removed from the hold. I also wouldn't doubt an enterprising baggage handler or mechanic selling them on Ebay after discovering them in the hold.
Its survived being eaten/bent by the barrage carousel and routing system, yet vanishes on a plane-side check? The steel cable holding the tag on isn't exactly prone to breaking, and I put locktite on the threads of cable end so it wouldn't vibrate loose
Old Aug 31, 2015, 7:29 am

Programs: AA, Delta Kryptonium (DM) Hyatt Diamond IHG Fake Plat (Ambassador), HH Gold
FWIW

I had both my DM Tag AND my KM tag (with my name on it) "disappear"

on a rare occasion when I needed to check

My DM tag was attached with a thicker gauge "wire rope" than the one provided by Delta.

My KM tag was on a second bag attached with a green zip tie.

What are the odds that two different tags on two bags would -detach, fall off, become caught in conveyors or abducted by aliens on the same trip?

Oh well. Keep climbing...
Old Aug 31, 2015, 9:18 am

dl tAGS

i LOST ONE RECENTLY, BUT WAS RECOVERED BECAUSE IT DID COME OFF. ONE NEEDS TO CHECK THE SCREW LATCH QUITE OFTEN.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by mapsgl
FWIW

I had both my DM Tag AND my KM tag (with my name on it) "disappear"

on a rare occasion when I needed to check

My DM tag was attached with a thicker gauge "wire rope" than the one provided by Delta.

My KM tag was on a second bag attached with a green zip tie.

What are the odds that two different tags on two bags would -detach, fall off, become caught in conveyors or abducted by aliens on the same trip?

Oh well. Keep climbing...
Did you file a claim with Delta for them? (I would tell Delta that if they fail to replace my KM tag they're granting me permission to reprint it, in whatever quantity makes the most sense to me.)
Old Sep 1, 2015, 4:57 am

Programs: AADULtArer
I can't believe the number of people who confess to putting on status tags on their luggage....truly tacky
Old Sep 1, 2015, 5:32 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Originally Posted by babe11
Wow! You're right! I just went to eBay, did a search for Delta Medallion tag, clicked advanced search and looked for "sold".

Jeeeez. Probably explains my missing Plat tag from last year. I don't check a bag; however, I was on a CRJ and my carry on was left at the jetway and upon arriving to my destination, my Plat tag was gone. I just shrugged it off.

There's even a sale of a Delta "gag" tag.

link: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DELTA-SKYM...p2047675.l2557

Scratching my head.

No need for to pay for a "Gag Tag" the one I created is free....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.