Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Diamond Tag Theft?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2014, 2:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
It's the Medellin Cartel. This is a new way of money laundering.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 2:45 pm

Programs: No flights since April 2019 (Medical Issues). Lost all my status.
I never quite understood the need for Diamond Tags on luggage. Perhaps it is the same need that a 5 year old has for a Burger King crown.

Anyway .... I'll donate my old tags to a worthwhile charity. Any takers?
Old Apr 20, 2014, 2:48 pm
Suspended

Cool

Originally Posted by RRDD
I never quite understood the need for Diamond Tags on luggage. Perhaps it is the same need that a 5 year old has for a Burger King crown.

That mbw guy always seems to be looking for charity. Maybe he can use them as tags on his shoelaces.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 2:49 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
It's the Medellin Cartel. This is a new way of money laundering.
Delta Medellin Cartel. DM Cartel. How did I miss that?

Possible explanations to choose

1 intl drug laundering scheme

2 faulty attachers in another thread.

Neither one leads to conspiracy to steal upgrades, so we must work harder.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 2:51 pm
Suspended

Cool

Originally Posted by LaserSailor
Delta Medellin Cartel. DM Cartel. How did I miss that?

Possible explanations to choose

1 intl drug laundering scheme

2 faulty attachers in another thread.

Neither one leads to conspiracy to steal upgrades, so we must work harder.
Stolen by non-revs to increase their chances of bumping a DM out of F?
Old Apr 20, 2014, 3:07 pm

Good point. We should all do the world a favor, and rip them off and throw them away when we see them. But hey, world's biggest folding garment bag guy needs something to make him feel important.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 3:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold

^ The best way to keep your medallion tags from being stolen is to remove them from your bag and keep them at home.

PMDL issued key ring tags. I did use those. It was very easy to scan them when checking in via a kiosk.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 3:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: EK Plat, UA GS, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Amex Centurion
I've noticed this in other countries, while not with my DM tags, but with my EK gold and platinum tags.
Last week I flew into HYD, and was exchanging cash after customs. I hired 2 porters because I had a lot of luggage, and when i turned around, i saw the porter taking my platinum tag off my checked in bag, and putting it in his pocket. I didn't say anything then, but when i was getting into my car, i asked for it back and didn't give him a tip (obviously). Needless to say he was surprised that i noticed. I also noticed the other one eyeing my tumi tag on my carryon (no idea why), and my monogrammed tag on my duffel. This left a bad taste in my mouth of porters, as it has happened before, also in HYD. I don't know if they could even sell these or why anyone would buy them.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 3:49 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles Lifetime Silver, Delta MM, Lifetime Marriott Plat, Lifetime Hilton Honors Diamond
In January I had checked a bag from BNA to SLC with my Plat tag securely attached to a big, red leather tag I have to help me quickly identify my bag on gate checked flights. The leather tag had a wide leather strap to attach to the suitcase with multiple holes like a belt to adjust the length of the strap.

When I got to SLC I found that the red tag with its thick leather strap was firmly secured to my bag yet the Plat tag was gone. Why anyone would want to take a Plat tag is beyond me?
Old Apr 20, 2014, 3:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Jump
Why anyone would want to take a Plat tag is beyond me?
Especially now that they no longer have the Skymiles # or barcode. They are pretty much useless.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 4:05 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
When I got to SLC I found that the red tag with its thick leather strap was firmly secured to my bag yet the Plat tag was gone.
So, they took the time to unbuckle the strap, take the tag, and rebuckle the strap???
Old Apr 20, 2014, 4:36 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles Lifetime Silver, Delta MM, Lifetime Marriott Plat, Lifetime Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by davetravels
So, they took the time to unbuckle the strap, take the tag, and rebuckle the strap???
Exactly. It made no sense.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 7:47 pm

Programs: DL DM 2.85MM, Priority Platinum
Exactly. It made no sense.
Except for the most likely issue of the tag breaking?
Old Apr 20, 2014, 9:20 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Last week I put my bag in the back seat of my truck and drove down to RST. When I got there I opened the back door to grab my bag and noticed the cable had broken off with my DM tag attached to it. This happened while driving the 75 miles or so pretty much entirely on smooth highways (the rest on smooth city streets). There is a major issue with the cables. I'm guessing one of the same moronic bean counters at DAL that changed the Sky Miles earning for next year decided to go with a cheaper vendor for the DM cables.

I'll be one of the first people to criticize Delta baggage handlers but in this case it's not their fault. It's DL's management.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by davetravels
I had a DM tag lost / stolen from a checked bag a coup'la years ago, so, I haven't put one on a bag since then, that I wasn't planning to carry on the plane - - and as a matter of fact, I have actually stood in the jetway, and TAKEN IT OFF, when I have had to gate check something.

I do think that the screw-on mechanism isn't as secure as it could be. I wonder if a drop of super glue inside would help.

I think the rubbery tag loops that the WorldClubs / SkyClubs gave out are better. Here's a pic of that type from the DL breast cancer awareness tag they were selling . . .

That said, I don't believe I've seen any reports of these being stolen by bag handlerz:

Perhaps the Kryptonium burns when you touch it!
Originally Posted by mapsgl
I had my KM tag stolen (the one with my name on it), on one of the rare occasion I had to check my bag.
When I had to bag check my rollerboard the other day, you better be sure I didn't let that go out of sight. Steal my DM tag, shame on you. Steal my KM tag shame on me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.