Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Qualified for 2015 Diamond, and have not received one upgrade

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Qualified for 2015 Diamond, and have not received one upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2014, 5:55 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, AA EXP, UA Silver, former DL DM
Originally Posted by SteveinA2
Interesting first. Qualified for Diamond in 2015, and yet so far in 2014 I have not received one upgrade. I sense this is the future for many of us.

Not particularly informative if you don't also include how many of the 15 segments were upgradeable.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 6:06 pm

Programs: AMEX DL Reserve ✈ DL Diamond Medallion ✈ Marriott ✈ NWA
My wife and I fly FLL to MSP and MSP to FLL. We've 100% upgrade to and from MSP this year.
My wife is FO and I'm PM. We usually catch the 0545 flight from FLL when we go to MSP.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 6:25 pm

Programs: DL GM, AMEX Business Platinum, AMEX Delta Reserve, DL SkyClub Member, Choice PM
IMO: Flying to most airports in FL even on E fares will get an upgrade to 1st, most times of the year, except during Spring Break.

It is the travel on elite heavy routes that most business travelers use that is tough to get an upgrade. MSP-BOS-MSP is one such route.

Most often, if 1st G/A/P fare is available for $100-$200 more than coach, will buy G/A/P and get a confirmed 1st class seat!
Old Apr 11, 2014, 7:02 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM
So you average $1580 and 4500 MQMs per segment.

Now I'm curious. What is the longest complimentary upgradeable flight anyway? MSP-ANC? LAX-BOS? Those are both around 2500 miles or so, so even on Y/B that doesn't quite get you up to 4500 MQMs.

I guess my point is that you must be doing a lot of long hauls which aren't upgrade eligible anyway to get your MQM average in the 4500 range.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 7:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, United PS, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Amtrak
Originally Posted by Denal1
WOW! If OP is complaining about lack of complimentary upgrades then he/she is flying domestic coach at $24,000 for 15 segs. He/She should buy first and pocket the other $17,000 Seriously, do these numbers add up..I seem to be missing something. 15 segs domestic for 64,000 MQMs and not at the top of upgrade list or already in first?
He's got to be flying paid J TPAC flights, but with that many MQMs earned on just 15 segments, how many domestic coach fares could he have flown? 2, maybe 3?

OK, so a DM missed UGs on two or three Sunday night flights into DCA?

Need some more details on your flight patterns to understand this. Card spend wouldn't account for a major MQM bump at the levels indicated on his screenshot.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 7:44 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM
;
Originally Posted by DeltaWings
He's got to be flying paid J TPAC flights, but with that many MQMs earned on just 15 segments, how many domestic coach fares could he have flown? 2, maybe 3?

OK, so a DM missed UGs on two or three Sunday night flights into DCA?

Need some more details on your flight patterns to understand this. Card spend wouldn't account for a major MQM bump at the levels indicated on his screenshot.
Agreed...I just can't make sense of the numbers. Comp upgrades are only available on domestic flights in coach (obviously) there is no way to take 15 segs in coach even on full fare tickets (to get MQM bump) and generate those numbers. The majority of these flights must be in J to rack up that level of MQD. Need more information. Come on OP, you can't throw out a claim like this and hold back details
Old Apr 11, 2014, 7:51 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, AA EXP, UA Silver, former DL DM
Originally Posted by 18sas
What is the longest complimentary upgradeable flight anyway? MSP-ANC? LAX-BOS? Those are both around 2500 miles or so, so even on Y/B that doesn't quite get you up to 4500 MQMs.
I suspect the longest flight eligible for complimentary medallion upgrades is SLC-HNL at 2,994 miles. Unless one of Delta's flights to S. America lacks BE service and is therefore eligible?
Old Apr 11, 2014, 8:01 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SteveinA2
Interesting first. Qualified for Diamond in 2015, and yet so far in 2014 I have not received one upgrade. I sense this is the future for many of us.

RE "Jan 31 2016"

Did I miss this change in the 2015 program announcement?
Old Apr 11, 2014, 8:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by QueerEyeForDelta
RE "Jan 31 2016"

Did I miss this change in the 2015 program announcement?
No simple math. OP, as I, have earned 2015 status that ends, under the new rules, the last day of JAN unlike the old one that ended the last day of FEB. So a 2015 status earned ends 31JAN2016
Old Apr 11, 2014, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by mother-
Is that 4-5 paid J TATLs and a few domestic connections to ATL?
This was exactly my first thought.

Methinks OP is being a bit tongue in cheek.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 8:58 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM
Originally Posted by Delta Points
under the new rules, the last day of JAN unlike the old one that ended the last day of FEB. So a 2015 status earned ends 31JAN2016
I think that was the program change that QueerEyeForDelta was asking if he missed.

So, QueerEye4Delta, yes you must have missed the announcement that the medallion years will now end on Jan 31 instead of Feb 28/29 as they do today.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by 18sas
I think that was the program change that QueerEyeForDelta was asking if he missed.

So, QueerEye4Delta, yes you must have missed the announcement that the medallion years will now end on Jan 31 instead of Feb 28/29 as they do today.
Yes. The reason was that DL claims they are able to process the membership packets more efficiently now. Which they then demonstrated for us this year.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 10:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, United PS, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Amtrak
Originally Posted by javabytes
Yes. The reason was that DL claims they are able to process the membership packets more efficiently now. Which they then demonstrated for us this year.
Indeed. Expect a disaster next year. My 2014 GM packet finally arrived on Wednesday.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 11:21 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Marriott Platinum, National Executive Elite, United Silver
Originally Posted by dd1612
IMO: Flying to most airports in FL even on E fares will get an upgrade to 1st, most times of the year, except during Spring Break.
Except for PBI. That's a tough one sometimes. Lot's of PBI flyers can pay for 1st and PBI-ATL (and reverse) seems to be DM heavy compared to the other FL airports.

Flying from LGA to FL can be tough too.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 11:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by javabytes
I think OP knows that, and it's more of an observation of how tough upgrades have become. Like "Hey, I've flown XX,XXX MQMs this year and haven't gotten a single upgrade yet."
True and it turns out that OP has indeed flown XX,XXX miles so far this year. However, one could be DM for 2015 thanks to rollover and have not yet flown a single segment this year. In that case, OP would have received no upgrades almost by definition.

Also, 15 segments for 64,000 MQMs could mean lots of domestic transcon non stops, which were tough upgrades, at least on some days of the week but now are not eligible for free elite upgrades.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.