Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Using Regional Upgrades on Delta (pre 2/1/2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 15, 2016, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Utskicat
FEB 1, 2022 New GUC/RUC Inventory Rules

*****GUC*****

Flight has First Class
MC/C+ = Purchased
First = Last Seat J (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has DPS only
MC/C+ = Purchased
DPS = Last Seat (GUC=P / RUC=G) (Old Policy = RY)

Flight has D1 with no DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
D1 = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has D1 with DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
DPS = Last Seat (GUC=P / RUC=G) (Old Policy = RY)
D1 = OY @ T-24h15m

Flight has D1 with DPS
DPS = Purchased
D1 = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Note: If GUC applied to domestic flight, it has better inventory than RUC (better chance for D1 transcon or to Hawaii)

*****RUC*****

Flight has First Class
MC/C+ = Purchased
First = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has D1 with no DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
D1 = OY (no change in old policy = OY)

New Delta.com Upgrade Availability Indicators that appeared 2/1/22 and what they mean

Dom D1 Tag meaning:
Global Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Z (OY = 0 for RUC)
Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Z /or/ RUC in OY both available

Dom F Tag meaning:
Global Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Last Seat J (Z = 0 for RUC)
Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in last seat J /or/ RUC in Z both available

Example D1 Flights from JFK - LAX (flight numbers are fictitious)

DL 01
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J5 C4 D4 Z3
Hidden Availability: OY2
Website indicator: Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (2 RUC (OY) open, 3 GUC (Z) open)

DL 02
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J5 C4 D4 Z3
Hidden Availability: OY0
Website indicator: Global Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (OY) open, 3 GUC (Z) open)

DL 03
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z0
Hidden Availability: OY0
Website indicator: No flag - neither is available GUC (Z0) and RUC (OY0)

DL 04
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z1
Hidden Availability: n/a
Website indicator: Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (1 RUC (Z) open, 3 GUC (J) open)

DL 05
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z0
Website indicator: Global Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (Z) open, 3 GUC (J) open)

DL 06
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J0 C0 D0 Z0
Website indicator: No flag - neither is available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (Z) open, 0 GUC (J) open)

Apparently Delta is using public inventory buckets J Z P G (and non-public bucket OY in some cases) to determine GUC/RUC availability. However once they have confirmed you the system converts the segment in your reservation to a different bucket. Here is the class mapping:

GUC Usage
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to DPS / P class needed / Books into RV (Clears at T-24.15 into D1 as OX if OY available)
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to D1 (no DPS) / Z class needed / Books into OK
DPS purchased / Upgrade to D1 / Z class needed / Books into OK
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to FC (no D1/DPS) / J class needed / Books into OV

RUC Usage
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to DPS / G class needed / Books into RX (Clears at T-24.15 into D1 as OX if OY available)
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to D1 (no DPS) / OY class needed / Books into OX
DPS purchased / Upgrade to D1 / OY class needed / Books into OX
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to FC (no D1/DPS) / Z class needed / Books into OL

PRE FEB 1, 2022 WIKI
More information and discussion about using same-day change after applying regional upgrades can be found in this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1709826-sdc-while-using-regional-upgrade-certificates-ruc-definitive-thread.html
  • The clock begins ticking on RUC expiration when you make your choice benefit selection, so it's possible to time your selection when there is a specific need to use them.
  • You can select your 2017 choice benefit as soon as DL recognizes your Plat status. Certificates expire 12 months from date of issue. 2019 choice benefits (earned based on how much one flew in 2018) must be selected by Jan 31, 2020.
  • If you select certificates as your choice benefit late in your Medallion tenure, it will still be valid after your status expires -- so for example if you earn Platinum Medallion in 2018, which is valid through Jan 31, 2020, but then only earn Silver Medallion in 2019, which becomes effective Feb 1, 2020 when your Platinum Medallion status expires, RUCs selected in January 2020 would be valid through January 2021 and could be used once you were only a Silver Medallion member, giving you a much higher upgrade list position on those flights where you attempt to use them.
  • If you request to use a RUC on a flight and do not receive the upgrade, it is returned to your account for future use, but check your account to make sure.
  • RUC may be redeemed for the named Medallion member and up to one travel companion traveling on the same flight (the companion officially no longer needs to be in the same reservation, though that rule was not actually enforced even when it was the official rule). The named member and the companion will each require a separate certificate.

While the RUC process is almost entirely opaque, there are a couple of "hints" of a correctly applied waitlist.

1a) When viewing a waitlisted segment on the DL.com web site (not the app), there may be two seat maps for the same flight. The first seat map shows the coach seat you are currently in, and the second seat map for the same flight says "you may not select seats for this flight" or something like that. This second seat map corresponds to a part of the waitlist process, and indicates that at least one step of the multi-step process to add an RUC waitlist was actually done. Unfortunately, this does NOT indicate that the other manual steps of the RUC waitlist process were successfully completed by the agent (i.e. even if you see the second seat map, there still could be something wrong. There is simply no way for the customer to tell.)

1b) The status for a waitlisted segment should say something like "Upgrade Waitlisted"

2) Assuming the waitlist does not clear prior to check-in, the second hint is the upgrade waitlist. If the RUC waitlist request was coded correctly, you should show up at or very near the top of the upgrade waitlist that you can see on DL.com or the app. If you find yourself at your "usual" spot on the upgrade waitlist, this is a clue that the RUC waitlist request was not coded correctly.

3) The RUC is a form of "payment". Until the RUC clears, it remains "unused" so a waitlisted RUC will still show in your wallet as "open".

You may also wish to peruse the wiki for the GUC success thread as some of the considerations/logistics are similar between RUCs and GUCs.

Print Wikipost

Using Regional Upgrades on Delta (pre 2/1/2022)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2015, 1:20 pm

Programs: DM/3MM
I have not had regional upgrades prior to recently, and wanted to post an experience.

Flying JFK-PHX, I was #3 for 1 seat, at the airport about 60 min prior to departure. I called the DM line and asked if I applied a RUC, where would that place me. I was told #1, so had them apply it. I did indeed jump to #1.

I got to the gate about 10 min later, and there were now 3 seats available for upgrade. I asked the GA how she thought it looked it I were #3, said it was a gamble but that I would likely clear...but I had to call the DM line to get the RUC removed. I called immediately, got another agent as before who was knowledgeable, removed my RUC and confirmed I was now back at #3.

Went back to the GA and now I was nowhere on the list! She did something (sounded like adding me back onto the list), and now I was back to #3. Less than 10 minutes later the GA cleared me.

(Some may call this "gaming", but I don't see why I should use a RUC when I don't need to, and there was a risk that only 2 seats for upgrade could have been available and I would have not been upgraded.)

The RUC of course showed as closed afterwards. (I've had this happen when I've been waitlisted, not cleared, and they close it out anyways.) I called DL to get it fixed...not all agents know how to read the three levels on these certs (generally, first level is closed, second level says open, then third level says closed). And yes even if they fix it, it will still show closed in My Wallet, so you need to keep track of that number.

This may not be news to most of you, but was my first RUC use. (I didn't choose last year's PM gift until the end of February.)
Old Mar 20, 2015, 1:50 pm

Programs: DL DM; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler
I have not had regional upgrades prior to recently, and wanted to post an experience.

Flying JFK-PHX, I was #3 for 1 seat, at the airport about 60 min prior to departure. I called the DM line and asked if I applied a RUC, where would that place me. I was told #1, so had them apply it. I did indeed jump to #1.

I got to the gate about 10 min later, and there were now 3 seats available for upgrade. I asked the GA how she thought it looked it I were #3, said it was a gamble but that I would likely clear...but I had to call the DM line to get the RUC removed. I called immediately, got another agent as before who was knowledgeable, removed my RUC and confirmed I was now back at #3.

Went back to the GA and now I was nowhere on the list! She did something (sounded like adding me back onto the list), and now I was back to #3. Less than 10 minutes later the GA cleared me.

(Some may call this "gaming", but I don't see why I should use a RUC when I don't need to, and there was a risk that only 2 seats for upgrade could have been available and I would have not been upgraded.)

The RUC of course showed as closed afterwards. (I've had this happen when I've been waitlisted, not cleared, and they close it out anyways.) I called DL to get it fixed...not all agents know how to read the three levels on these certs (generally, first level is closed, second level says open, then third level says closed). And yes even if they fix it, it will still show closed in My Wallet, so you need to keep track of that number.

This may not be news to most of you, but was my first RUC use. (I didn't choose last year's PM gift until the end of February.)
That seems like a lot of work and stress!! I would have applied the RUC to be #1 but I would have left it there after. Way to much work ;-)
Old Mar 20, 2015, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by vgb2001
That seems like a lot of work and stress!! I would have applied the RUC to be #1 but I would have left it there after. Way to much work ;-)
I thought it might have been, but I was lucky and got the right agents. It didn't take that long. I make enough JFK - LAS/PHX trips during the year that the RUCs are a nice way to jump up the list. Especially with planes full...I was #1 on a Wed morning JFK-PHX and a Wed evening SLC-JFK, and didn't clear on either one.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 9:51 am

Programs: DL DM, AA GE, CP ED
I had recently waitlisted for a RUC but was not upgraded. Upon peeking at my DL.com wallet, I noticed it had been used!

At first I thought it was a potential "Sheena" sighting but I called the diamond line to see what seat they had me in. It was indeed still the E+ seat I had chosen so no Sheena here.

After a long hold and then calling me back, they said it had been closed out in one system erroneously but showed open in the other. They said it would be corrected within 24 hrs but was actually corrected in under 2 hrs.

Good ending to the story but definitely good lesson to ALWAYS recheck your account.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by jsbh
I had recently waitlisted for a RUC but was not upgraded. Upon peeking at my DL.com wallet, I noticed it had been used!

At first I thought it was a potential "Sheena" sighting but I called the diamond line to see what seat they had me in. It was indeed still the E+ seat I had chosen so no Sheena here.

After a long hold and then calling me back, they said it had been closed out in one system erroneously but showed open in the other. They said it would be corrected within 24 hrs but was actually corrected in under 2 hrs.

Good ending to the story but definitely good lesson to ALWAYS recheck your account.
Something has been going on and RUCs are being erroneously closed by themselves. (Likely another stellar DL IT accomplishment.) Agents have told me it seems to be happening mostly in the past month or so.

Usually in the past when I've had GUCs wrongly closed, DL told me that they have fixed it so that it's open on their system, but My Wallet will still show it closed. As I've lost much faith in DL's IT, I tried to use it quickly before it "closed" itself again (which it did).

So I was told them same thing as you, that another RUC closed wrong would be updated in 24 hours. Seeing your post, I looked and now, it does indeed show as open in My Wallet, rather than closed on My Wallet but open on their systems. An improved experience (although this should not be happening in the first place).
Old Mar 23, 2015, 5:34 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Originally Posted by CarmenOM
I have the following itinerary:

3/29 MSP-LAX (overnight stopover in LA)
3/30 LAX-HNL
4/9 HNL-LAX-MSP

I have been able to apply one RUC to LAX-HNL. A second RUC is confirmed for HNL-LAX and waitlisted for LAX-MSP.

Am I correct in understanding that I would have to use a third RUC to upgrade MSP-LAX because of the stopover in Los Angeles, even though all four flights are on the same PNR?

I scheduled the stopover so that I can take the LAX-HNL morning flight with flatbed seats.
Originally Posted by sethb
So your LAX-HNL flight is the first one after your MSP-LAX flight? The only way to find out is to call and ask to have your already-used RUC also applied to the MSP-LAX leg. It might take a few rounds of agent roulette.
It took just one easy call. Using two RUCs, I'm now correctly waitlisted for both the mainland flights and upgraded for the flights between LAX and HNL. I realize the latter are usually easy upgrades for a PM, but am still hopeful that I will be upgraded for all four legs. I'm especially glad to have certainty about being in F on the LAX-HNL flight with flat bed seats.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 7:52 pm

Programs: AA, DL, TK
BOS-LAX last week I had waitlisted with non-status companion using RUC. Up to 2 hours before departure we were 2/3 of 13 for 5 seats. Then at about 90 minutes prior, we dropped to 11/12 of 13. My trip record also showed a change from "UPGRADE REQUESTED" to "MEDALLION UPGRADE REQUESTED". I appealed to the gate agent, call center and call center supervisor. GA had no control (fine), call center said the RUC could not be re-instated within 3 hours of departure though I explained that it had been requested some weeks prior. The supervisor spoke to someone at the upgrade desk who said that Revenue Management chose not to release any RUC seats. However, the first 5 on the final list (4 of whom I was above when the RUC was in play) cleared.

It all doesn't feel right, but the T&C suggest that this could actually be a possibility:

Airport Standby: If an upgrade for the SkyMiles member and companion (if applicable) is not confirmed from the reservation waitlist at least three hours prior to departure, then the SkyMiles member and companion may request to be placed on the Airport Standby List, provided that request is made no less than 60 minutes prior to flight departure. Passengers on the Airport Standby List will be accommodated according to Delta's priority rules, which Delta reserves the right to change at any time.

I'm not really sure why the RUC user would not continue to receive a higher priority than the Comp Upgrades. Any different experiences?
Old Mar 25, 2015, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Gerbs
BOS-LAX last week I had waitlisted with non-status companion using RUC. Up to 2 hours before departure we were 2/3 of 13 for 5 seats. Then at about 90 minutes prior, we dropped to 11/12 of 13. My trip record also showed a change from "UPGRADE REQUESTED" to "MEDALLION UPGRADE REQUESTED". I appealed to the gate agent, call center and call center supervisor. GA had no control (fine), call center said the RUC could not be re-instated within 3 hours of departure though I explained that it had been requested some weeks prior. The supervisor spoke to someone at the upgrade desk who said that Revenue Management chose not to release any RUC seats. However, the first 5 on the final list (4 of whom I was above when the RUC was in play) cleared.

It all doesn't feel right, but the T&C suggest that this could actually be a possibility:

Airport Standby: If an upgrade for the SkyMiles member and companion (if applicable) is not confirmed from the reservation waitlist at least three hours prior to departure, then the SkyMiles member and companion may request to be placed on the Airport Standby List, provided that request is made no less than 60 minutes prior to flight departure. Passengers on the Airport Standby List will be accommodated according to Delta's priority rules, which Delta reserves the right to change at any time.

I'm not really sure why the RUC user would not continue to receive a higher priority than the Comp Upgrades. Any different experiences?
Not sure why your RUC request go dropped. That shouldn't have happened.

Call center was also wrong - you should have been able to re-apply the cert if it was more than one hour prior to departure. And the fact that no RUC inventory was available doesn't matter - that's exactly what the wait list and the airport standby list are for.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 8:20 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by Gerbs

Yeah sounds like you got screwed unfortunately. In my experience with both RUCs and GUCs which cleared (or didn't) at the gate, I was #1 on the upgrade list throughout. It sounds like possibly in this case something went wrong with the transfer to the airport standby list, so was possibly the gate agent's fault? Not really any way to know though.

Agree with javabytes that in the T-3 hours to T-1 hour window you should have been able to get a phone agent to fix it though -- would have been worth calling a second time to try to get a more competent agent.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by javabytes
Not sure why your RUC request go dropped. That shouldn't have happened.

Call center was also wrong - you should have been able to re-apply the cert if it was more than one hour prior to departure. And the fact that no RUC inventory was available doesn't matter - that's exactly what the wait list and the airport standby list are for.
And as I noted earlier I've done it in less than one hour before departure.

So this person spoke to a call center agent, then to a supervisor, and yet was still given wrong information. And these are supposed to be the best trained agents. Confidence inspiring, isn't it?
Old Apr 13, 2015, 8:18 pm

Programs: DL DM/1MM, Natl Exec Elite, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diam
Trying to use a RUC for a flight tomorrow, I just requested them from Choice Benefits-- I called and had them add me to the RUC wait list (SEA-JFK...) and she said they put in remarks to code it properly once the certs are issued and I have a cert number.

Any idea how long it takes to get the certs issued once you choose them? My experience with SWUs is they showed up within about 20-30 minutes, is that the same here or did I just make a risky bet?

Edited: Same true here, showed up in about 20 minutes! And it looks like that guy who's #1 for 2 is also doing the same thing I am... So here's hoping I stay #2 for 2 and make it now

Last edited by doubleA; Apr 13, 2015 at 8:40 pm
Old Jul 13, 2015, 6:19 pm

I just used a RUC, and it wasn't easy. I'm Platinum this year (I usually alternate between Diamond every other year).

I wanted to use an RUC to upgrade LAX->BOS (cheap economy). I called the platinum line a month before the flight, and was told a RUC could not be applied to that flight, but to call back in a week and check again.

Call #2 (week later): RUC is applied (waitlist). I checked my delta account, and it changed from "Medallion Upgrade Requested" to "Upgrade Requested," it it showed 2 seating charts.

Call #3: I checked a week before my flight, and it was back to "Medallion Upgrade Requested". I called, and was told there was no record of a RUC applied. I asked the rep to re-apply it, and status went back to "Upgrade Requested".

Call #4: I checked in and checked the status <24-hours before the flight, and was not on the upgrade waiting list, but still showed "Upgrade Requested". I called the platinum line, and they verified I was not on the list, and fixed it. I went to #1 on the upgrade list, and got the upgrade.

So all's well that ends well, but it shouldn't take 4 calls to apply a RUC.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 6:11 am
Formerly known as scootr29

Originally Posted by felinfoel
I just used a RUC, and it wasn't easy. I'm Platinum this year (I usually alternate between Diamond every other year).

I wanted to use an RUC to upgrade LAX->BOS (cheap economy). I called the platinum line a month before the flight, and was told a RUC could not be applied to that flight, but to call back in a week and check again.

Call #2 (week later): RUC is applied (waitlist). I checked my delta account, and it changed from "Medallion Upgrade Requested" to "Upgrade Requested," it it showed 2 seating charts.

Call #3: I checked a week before my flight, and it was back to "Medallion Upgrade Requested". I called, and was told there was no record of a RUC applied. I asked the rep to re-apply it, and status went back to "Upgrade Requested".

Call #4: I checked in and checked the status <24-hours before the flight, and was not on the upgrade waiting list, but still showed "Upgrade Requested". I called the platinum line, and they verified I was not on the list, and fixed it. I went to #1 on the upgrade list, and got the upgrade.

So all's well that ends well, but it shouldn't take 4 calls to apply a RUC.
Delta is banking on the fact that "most" flyers will forget about their RUCs and never use them....or Delta makes the process to apply them so cumbersome that people do not use them...it is dirty business in my mind, but hey Delta is the most user friendly airline in the sky.

Using RUCs is a simple IT fix...I just used a Companion pass and it was very IT friendly. Check the box beside the Comp Pass and then hit next....the next screen allows you to search for flights....using RUCs SHOULD be that easy.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 6:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by SSF556
Using RUCs is a simple IT fix...I just used a Companion pass and it was very IT friendly. Check the box beside the Comp Pass and then hit next....the next screen allows you to search for flights....using RUCs SHOULD be that easy.
Except there are lots of documented reports of the companion certs not working properly either with booking errors or crazy pricing... but yes it does function 'better' than the RUC/GUC system which is just a mess.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 9:07 am
Formerly known as scootr29

Originally Posted by rylan
Except there are lots of documented reports of the companion certs not working properly either with booking errors or crazy pricing... but yes it does function 'better' than the RUC/GUC system which is just a mess.
Using the comp pass and getting a "fair" price are 2 different issues....thankfully my recent booking from GSP to LAS was a reasonable 1st class price....

As a PM for 2016 not sure if I will take the points or the RUCs

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.