Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Using Regional Upgrades on Delta (pre 2/1/2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 15, 2016, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Utskicat
FEB 1, 2022 New GUC/RUC Inventory Rules

*****GUC*****

Flight has First Class
MC/C+ = Purchased
First = Last Seat J (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has DPS only
MC/C+ = Purchased
DPS = Last Seat (GUC=P / RUC=G) (Old Policy = RY)

Flight has D1 with no DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
D1 = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has D1 with DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
DPS = Last Seat (GUC=P / RUC=G) (Old Policy = RY)
D1 = OY @ T-24h15m

Flight has D1 with DPS
DPS = Purchased
D1 = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Note: If GUC applied to domestic flight, it has better inventory than RUC (better chance for D1 transcon or to Hawaii)

*****RUC*****

Flight has First Class
MC/C+ = Purchased
First = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has D1 with no DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
D1 = OY (no change in old policy = OY)

New Delta.com Upgrade Availability Indicators that appeared 2/1/22 and what they mean

Dom D1 Tag meaning:
Global Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Z (OY = 0 for RUC)
Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Z /or/ RUC in OY both available

Dom F Tag meaning:
Global Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Last Seat J (Z = 0 for RUC)
Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in last seat J /or/ RUC in Z both available

Example D1 Flights from JFK - LAX (flight numbers are fictitious)

DL 01
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J5 C4 D4 Z3
Hidden Availability: OY2
Website indicator: Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (2 RUC (OY) open, 3 GUC (Z) open)

DL 02
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J5 C4 D4 Z3
Hidden Availability: OY0
Website indicator: Global Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (OY) open, 3 GUC (Z) open)

DL 03
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z0
Hidden Availability: OY0
Website indicator: No flag - neither is available GUC (Z0) and RUC (OY0)

DL 04
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z1
Hidden Availability: n/a
Website indicator: Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (1 RUC (Z) open, 3 GUC (J) open)

DL 05
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z0
Website indicator: Global Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (Z) open, 3 GUC (J) open)

DL 06
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J0 C0 D0 Z0
Website indicator: No flag - neither is available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (Z) open, 0 GUC (J) open)

Apparently Delta is using public inventory buckets J Z P G (and non-public bucket OY in some cases) to determine GUC/RUC availability. However once they have confirmed you the system converts the segment in your reservation to a different bucket. Here is the class mapping:

GUC Usage
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to DPS / P class needed / Books into RV (Clears at T-24.15 into D1 as OX if OY available)
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to D1 (no DPS) / Z class needed / Books into OK
DPS purchased / Upgrade to D1 / Z class needed / Books into OK
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to FC (no D1/DPS) / J class needed / Books into OV

RUC Usage
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to DPS / G class needed / Books into RX (Clears at T-24.15 into D1 as OX if OY available)
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to D1 (no DPS) / OY class needed / Books into OX
DPS purchased / Upgrade to D1 / OY class needed / Books into OX
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to FC (no D1/DPS) / Z class needed / Books into OL

PRE FEB 1, 2022 WIKI
More information and discussion about using same-day change after applying regional upgrades can be found in this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1709826-sdc-while-using-regional-upgrade-certificates-ruc-definitive-thread.html
  • The clock begins ticking on RUC expiration when you make your choice benefit selection, so it's possible to time your selection when there is a specific need to use them.
  • You can select your 2017 choice benefit as soon as DL recognizes your Plat status. Certificates expire 12 months from date of issue. 2019 choice benefits (earned based on how much one flew in 2018) must be selected by Jan 31, 2020.
  • If you select certificates as your choice benefit late in your Medallion tenure, it will still be valid after your status expires -- so for example if you earn Platinum Medallion in 2018, which is valid through Jan 31, 2020, but then only earn Silver Medallion in 2019, which becomes effective Feb 1, 2020 when your Platinum Medallion status expires, RUCs selected in January 2020 would be valid through January 2021 and could be used once you were only a Silver Medallion member, giving you a much higher upgrade list position on those flights where you attempt to use them.
  • If you request to use a RUC on a flight and do not receive the upgrade, it is returned to your account for future use, but check your account to make sure.
  • RUC may be redeemed for the named Medallion member and up to one travel companion traveling on the same flight (the companion officially no longer needs to be in the same reservation, though that rule was not actually enforced even when it was the official rule). The named member and the companion will each require a separate certificate.

While the RUC process is almost entirely opaque, there are a couple of "hints" of a correctly applied waitlist.

1a) When viewing a waitlisted segment on the DL.com web site (not the app), there may be two seat maps for the same flight. The first seat map shows the coach seat you are currently in, and the second seat map for the same flight says "you may not select seats for this flight" or something like that. This second seat map corresponds to a part of the waitlist process, and indicates that at least one step of the multi-step process to add an RUC waitlist was actually done. Unfortunately, this does NOT indicate that the other manual steps of the RUC waitlist process were successfully completed by the agent (i.e. even if you see the second seat map, there still could be something wrong. There is simply no way for the customer to tell.)

1b) The status for a waitlisted segment should say something like "Upgrade Waitlisted"

2) Assuming the waitlist does not clear prior to check-in, the second hint is the upgrade waitlist. If the RUC waitlist request was coded correctly, you should show up at or very near the top of the upgrade waitlist that you can see on DL.com or the app. If you find yourself at your "usual" spot on the upgrade waitlist, this is a clue that the RUC waitlist request was not coded correctly.

3) The RUC is a form of "payment". Until the RUC clears, it remains "unused" so a waitlisted RUC will still show in your wallet as "open".

You may also wish to peruse the wiki for the GUC success thread as some of the considerations/logistics are similar between RUCs and GUCs.

Print Wikipost

Using Regional Upgrades on Delta (pre 2/1/2022)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2019, 9:35 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Zorak
Even if PM benefit, 20k pesos is still better than 4 RUCs that expire unused, if someone's travel patterns are such that clearing is unlikely.

Yes. I'm not sure I'd necessarily do all this within a single phone call though. Even though each event in the sequence is according to policy, an agent might balk. Discretion seems worth it...
As a PM benefit, I think it really makes sense to take the RUC's, as they dramatically improve your upgrade chances, and if you use even 2 of them (depending on the route maybe even 1 of them), I think it's worth more than 20k miles... IMO a PM or DM is flying with enough frequency that it's worth trying to use them to increase your chances above those (including DM's) using complimentary upgrades.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 10:53 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by dlflyer00
SDC question... I did an SDC to an earlier flight with immediate RUC availability and cleared. From what I’ve read on here, clearing in advance with a RUC allows confirmed SDC changes to any flight with open seats.

Can I really just SDC back onto my original flight and keep the upgrade?
If you do this, post how it goes. It was beyond awkward for me on Christmas.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 11:46 pm

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by bergamini
If you do this, post how it goes. It was beyond awkward for me on Christmas.
No J seats left on my ideal flights but if they open up I’ll let you know.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 11:59 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by MarkP24
As a PM benefit, I think it really makes sense to take the RUC's, as they dramatically improve your upgrade chances, and if you use even 2 of them (depending on the route maybe even 1 of them), I think it's worth more than 20k miles... IMO a PM or DM is flying with enough frequency that it's worth trying to use them to increase your chances above those (including DM's) using complimentary upgrades.
While I mostly agree with you in the abstract, that is as I said colored by my travel patterns.

Even for someone who travels frequently:

1a. maybe they know that the routes they frequent are either going to clear comp upgrades routinely

1b. ... or be very difficult even with a RUC, in which case moving from 11th/12th for 0 seats to 1st/2nd for 0 seats doesn't help

2. maybe they travel mostly internationally and are using GUCs extended to the domestic legs anyway,

3. maybe they have a generous travel policy and/or can afford to WFBF most of the time

None of those apply universally to me, which is why I mostly agree with you but I also don't necessarily think that applies to everyone.

And given the first three points...

4. "even 2" depends on your personal cpm valuation for using pesos, and how much you are willing to pay for F/J -- either factor could tip the decision either way ("I was told there would be no math...")
Old Jan 27, 2019, 12:21 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Zorak
While I mostly agree with you in the abstract, that is as I said colored by my travel patterns.

Even for someone who travels frequently:

1a. maybe they know that the routes they frequent are either going to clear comp upgrades routinely

1b. ... or be very difficult even with a RUC, in which case moving from 11th/12th for 0 seats to 1st/2nd for 0 seats doesn't help

2. maybe they travel mostly internationally and are using GUCs extended to the domestic legs anyway,

3. maybe they have a generous travel policy and/or can afford to WFBF most of the time

None of those apply universally to me, which is why I mostly agree with you but I also don't necessarily think that applies to everyone.

And given the first three points...

4. "even 2" depends on your personal cpm valuation for using pesos, and how much you are willing to pay for F/J -- either factor could tip the decision either way ("I was told there would be no math...")
I hear you. Different strokes for different folks.
Zorak likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
I have an ATL-SFO flight next week that is already at J0 and has been for days. It was J6 when I booked it and there aren't even any aisle seats left. Work trip so can't WFBF and DL wanted an extra $1800 (one way) for the privilege anyway.

If DL had a system where I could have redeemed two or three RUCs to confirm into F at booking without needing RY/OY space, I would have taken them up on it.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 10:25 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Platinum
Just got my first RUCs....I can see them in my wallet on my laptop but not on the app. Is that standard?
Old Feb 2, 2019, 12:03 pm

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by Dalewood
Just got my first RUCs....I can see them in my wallet on my laptop but not on the app. Is that standard?
Congrats! Indeed, they will not show up on the mobile app, since they are basically useless online.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 1:12 pm

RUC cleared for LAX-DCA for a flight on February 8
DCAhome likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 3:36 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by gooselee
I have an ATL-SFO flight next week that is already at J0 and has been for days. It was J6 when I booked it and there aren't even any aisle seats left. Work trip so can't WFBF and DL wanted an extra $1800 (one way) for the privilege anyway.

If DL had a system where I could have redeemed two or three RUCs to confirm into F at booking without needing RY/OY space, I would have taken them up on it.
They'll take $1,800 over 10 RUCs any day of the week.

RUCs simply re-order free upgrades. They don't bring in extra revenue.
MarkP24 likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by btonkid12345
They'll take $1,800 over 10 RUCs any day of the week.

RUCs simply re-order free upgrades. They don't bring in extra revenue.
However RUC's show loyalty, and that should also be worth a price.
jamesteroh likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by MarkP24
However RUC's show loyalty, and that should also be worth a price.
It is, but not as much as a lot of cash. It's possible to use RUCs to save money.
MarkP24 likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 9:40 am

Programs: DL DM, 2MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
RUC Strategy

Would like advice on use of RUCs. I used my last set of 2018 RUCs to upgrade CVG-SJC in January. Had a PM colleague on same itinerary clear each way at 5 day window. I did not mind burning the RUCs as they would have expired soon and I needed the flexibility on return to use SDC.

I have to do the same trip in late Feb Tue-Thu and don’t really want to burn 2 this early in year and I don’t need SDC flexibility in this case. Not considering WFBF. Considering connecting SLC, LAX, or LAS on outbound, ATL, MSP or DTW on return, morning flights on each. Return might be harder due to larger hubs.

Do I wait for DM window to see if they clear and then apply RUC afterwards if I don’t clear? I won’t have any domestic D1 routes this year, so distance wise these are my longest domestic flights.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 2:02 pm

Do the RUC certificates arrive instantly as soon as you select your benefits for the year? Or is there a couple of days delay. This will matter if one is playing the waiting game to see what their upgrade ranking is at check in before applying a RUC.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 2:47 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by cpmp
Do the RUC certificates arrive instantly as soon as you select your benefits for the year? Or is there a couple of days delay. This will matter if one is playing the waiting game to see what their upgrade ranking is at check in before applying a RUC.
I think reports have varied from instantly, to some small number of hours, for them to show up in your account after selection is made. It is possible they will show up in your account but phone agents will be unable to see them, in which case you will have to provide the certificate number and redemption code verbally.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.