Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Do I 'HAVE' to get this flight? No show

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2014, 11:37 am
Original Poster

Traveling to the US in June and have 7 internal flights booked with Delta, the holiday was booked through an agent who booked it through Netflights, one of the flights is from LAX to Vegas but since booking we have decided we want to drive to Vegas via Death Valley. I went to see my travel agent to inform them and wasn't expecting any sort of refund etc, just to let them know our intentions. The agent then phoned Netflights and Netflights said we couldn't do this as all 7 flights are on one ticket and that the ticket has already been printed, they said we can't cancel as we have a special priced ticket,no idea what that means and why that makes it any different to cancel, and that if we don't turn up it will be classed as a 'no show' and that all our subsequent flights will be cancelled! I've read through both Netflights and Delta's t & c's and from what I can gather they only class it as a no show if you don't inform them of cancellation in reasonable time. Are we really going to be forced into catching a flight we don't want to! Any help/advise would be much appreciated!
Old Mar 6, 2014, 11:46 am

Programs: AADULtArer
My guess is your contract of carriage does not obligate the airline to fly each segment severally, but the ticketed itinerary in whole.

The airline can thus enforce canceling the trip on the first no-show, regardless of 'notification'
Old Mar 6, 2014, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
If it really is all on one record locator, then you do have to take the flight. Even booking directly through DL you cannot cancel just one leg of an itinerary and expect the rest to not be cancelled (without paying some hefty charges, that is).

Also, some more bad news...don't expect to earn full mileage for your trip.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 11:49 am

Programs: AA Plat, FI Silver, DL alumnus
Your travel agent is correct. If you are a no-show, the remainder of your ticketed itinerary will be cancelled.

At this point, your only options are to pay a hefty change fee to reissue your ticket without the LAX-LAS sector (probably not possible), or fly as planned.

On the up side, Death Valley is an easy 2-hr drive from Vegas, so why not just do it as a day trip while you're there.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 11:50 am

Programs: No longer loyal "over-entitled" 1K
I don't know the specifics of your ticket, but it looks like some sort of bulk or consolidated fare that prohibits any change to the ticket.

Even if you have the ticket that allows the change, you will most likely have to pay the change fee and your ticket price will need to be repriced and that could be expensive change.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 12:07 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the info, I'm glad we didn't just not turn up for the flight as we were originally going to do! It's to be hoped we don't miss our first flight too for some unforeseen reason as we'll have the rest of our holiday cancelled!
Old Mar 6, 2014, 1:04 pm
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by mAAine_flyer
Your travel agent is correct. If you are a no-show, the remainder of your ticketed itinerary will be cancelled.

At this point, your only options are to pay a hefty change fee to reissue your ticket without the LAX-LAS sector (probably not possible), or fly as planned.

On the up side, Death Valley is an easy 2-hr drive from Vegas, so why not just do it as a day trip while you're there.
Driving from LA to Vegas is a pain in the butt anyway; the traffic is atrocious. You'll probably save some money renting a car in Vegas anyway as opposed to doing a one-way rental.

Slightly off topic, but if you are going to Death Valley in June, it will be HOT. Hot as in 100-115 degrees F. If you are driving from Vegas, you would be well-advised to bring much more water than you think you will need and make sure you have a cellular phone with you. You do not want to be stuck in that kind of heat if your car breaks down without communications and water. Heat stroke or heat exhaustion can set in very quickly in that environment, particularly if you are not acclimated to it.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 2:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by us2
Driving from LA to Vegas is a pain in the butt anyway; the traffic is atrocious. You'll probably save some money renting a car in Vegas anyway as opposed to doing a one-way rental.

Slightly off topic, but if you are going to Death Valley in June, it will be HOT. Hot as in 100-115 degrees F. If you are driving from Vegas, you would be well-advised to bring much more water than you think you will need and make sure you have a cellular phone with you. You do not want to be stuck in that kind of heat if your car breaks down without communications and water. Heat stroke or heat exhaustion can set in very quickly in that environment, particularly if you are not acclimated to it.
Think we'll hire a car in Vegas and go early evening time. Would you you recommend Death Valley as an experience worth doing for someone from the cold wet UK?
Old Mar 6, 2014, 2:30 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Originally Posted by Maximus00
Think we'll hire a car in Vegas and go early evening time. Would you you recommend Death Valley as an experience worth doing for someone from the cold wet UK?
No, go the other direction to Utah, and see Bryce's Canyon or Zion National Parks - or both if you can overnight in Utah. Also, summer is not the time to go to Death Valley - unpleasant for all and dangerous for the unprepared.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 2:41 pm

Go there in summer and experience heat like you've never experienced before. 120 degrees is something you have to feel first hand to understand.

If you break down, it's not like you're the only car on the road. It's pretty well traveled with tourists and highway patrol makes sure nobody is left for dead either.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 2:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Maximus00
Traveling to the US in June and have 7 internal flights booked with Delta, the holiday was booked through an agent who booked it through Netflights, one of the flights is from LAX to Vegas but since booking we have decided we want to drive to Vegas via Death Valley. I went to see my travel agent to inform them and wasn't expecting any sort of refund etc, just to let them know our intentions. The agent then phoned Netflights and Netflights said we couldn't do this as all 7 flights are on one ticket and that the ticket has already been printed, they said we can't cancel as we have a special priced ticket,no idea what that means and why that makes it any different to cancel, and that if we don't turn up it will be classed as a 'no show' and that all our subsequent flights will be cancelled! I've read through both Netflights and Delta's t & c's and from what I can gather they only class it as a no show if you don't inform them of cancellation in reasonable time. Are we really going to be forced into catching a flight we don't want to! Any help/advise would be much appreciated!
I never heard of Netflights but my reaction is that no travel agent should sell you a consolidator fare without telling/asking you. Was this part of a package?

You should be able to find standard language in DL's CoC saying that flight segments/coupons must be flown/used in order.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.