Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Air Lines stock hits all-time high

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2014, 3:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card

ATLANTA (AP) -- Delta Air Lines Inc. says bad weather caused it to scrub nearly 8,000 flights in February, but the cancelations helped boost a key measure of revenue per mile.

The shares soared 5.7 percent on Tuesday to an all-time high since the company exited bankruptcy protection and issued new stock in 2007.

After the market closed Monday, Fitch Ratings upgraded Delta's credit one notch to "BB-" on the airline's ability to generate cash despite high fuel prices.

On Tuesday, Delta, the world's second biggest airline behind United, said that traffic rose 2.4 percent last month as passengers flew 13 billion miles.

Travel to and from Latin America jumped 20.6 percent, although those flights accounted for just 11 percent of total traffic.

Atlanta-based Delta said that revenue for every seat flown one mile rose 4 percent from a year ago. That statistic is watched closely in the airline business, and it rises when airlines put more people on each flight or raise average prices.

Delta credited the revenue-figure increase on strong U.S. demand and results from trans-Atlantic flying. Within the U.S., traffic grew 2 percent. Delta cut the number of seats on trans-Atlantic flights, making each flight more full.

The airline added that about a half-point of the 4 percent gain in the revenue statistic came from canceling flights, which can cause remaining flights to be more crowded. United Airlines, however, reported last week that winter storms caused it to cancel 22,500 flights in January and February and reduced revenue for every seat flown one mile. While Delta canceled 4.5 percent of its February flights, United scrubbed 12.9 percent of its January and February schedule.

Delta trimmed passenger-carrying capacity by 0.3 percent last month, and the average flight was 81.2 percent full, up from 79.1 percent in February 2013.

Shares of Delta rose $1.86 to close at $34.45 and peaked at $34.72 during the day. They have gained 25 percent so far in 2014.

http://sg.finance.yahoo.com/news/del...--finance.html
Good job DL. I glad I bought DAL stock about 3 year ago! Early Retirement for me! ^
Old Mar 4, 2014, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Guess who else hit all-time highs today?

American
Spirit
Alaska
Old Mar 4, 2014, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Must be all those FTers threatening to quit DL because of the FF RDM changes that caused Wallstreet to dislike DL
Old Mar 4, 2014, 5:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, United PS, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Amtrak
Decided to realize my 17-percent profits on DAL today. Purchasing a new car later this week. Sure was a nice run. Now I just need the tech sector to bounce.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
Originally Posted by DeltaWings
Decided to realize my 17-percent profits on DAL today. Purchasing a new car later this week.
Is it a Porsche?
Old Mar 4, 2014, 7:17 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
Are we listening to the rating agencies again?!
Old Mar 4, 2014, 7:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by DeltaWings
Decided to realize my 17-percent profits on DAL today. Purchasing a new car later this week. Sure was a nice run. Now I just need the tech sector to bounce.
This is a very good time to buy a new car. Dealer lots are overstocked, with almost ninety day inventories. The hard winter this year depressed new car sales. However, I don't think I'd want to drive a Porsche sports car on ice and snow.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 7:24 pm

Programs: Delta FO
Originally Posted by knit-in
Are we listening to the rating agencies again?!
BB- credit rating

No wonder delta flies around second hand aircraft.
Richard Anderson isn't getting my job well done certificate.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
This is a very good time to buy a new car. Dealer lots are overstocked, with almost ninety day inventories. The hard winter this year depressed new car sales. However, I don't think I'd want to drive a Porsche sports car on ice and snow.
And also, I think, a good time to move some money off the table. Stocks have had a fantastic run.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 8:25 pm

Programs: AA Plat Skymiles DM MM, a+ rewards lifetime elite, AS, Marriott plat, PC plat, HH gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
A lot of people do like to drive Porches on ice and snow. Record February sales. http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...248203331.html

Looks like the synergies are working between Delta and Porsche as they are both setting records.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 9:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, United PS, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Amtrak
Originally Posted by RatherBeOnATrain
Is it a Porsche?
Sadly, no. In the market for a new minivan.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 1:10 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Hubris always peaks before the fall.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 1:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Originally Posted by HongKonger
Hubris always peaks before the fall.
For those that question the wisdom:

Q: What is Hubris?
A: A person who has excessive pride or ambition in regards to something has what is called hubris that in most cases leads to their imminent demise or embarrassment.

Will see. You #1 funny.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 4:03 am

Originally Posted by reed2x
BB- credit rating

No wonder delta flies around second hand aircraft.
Richard Anderson isn't getting my job well done certificate.
Or that they have 150+ new airplanes on order.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 4:59 am
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by Dawgfan6291
Or that they have 150+ new airplanes on order.
BB- is "non-investment grade speculative". More going on there than having airplanes on order. If you're not correlating stock prices with bond ratings, you're not doing proper due diligence.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.