Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

New Delta Award Redemption Charts Released

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 6, 2014, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TheBOSman
Direct link at Delta.com: http://www.delta.com/content/dam/delta-www/skymiles/2015-program/2015SMP-award.pdf
Print Wikipost

New Delta Award Redemption Charts Released

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2014, 10:25 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by woodphantom
I see a lot of you saying that the chart isn't too bad. Delta has jacked up the redemption miles in 2014 and cut your ability to earn miles next year without changing the miles required for 2015. Everyone of us just took in the shorts and you think the chart isn't too bad. I have some islands in the South Pacific I'd like to sell.
Myopic? Many of us are going to earn significantly more miles under the new plan. You seem to gloss over that. A segments qualifying DM who flew 140+ MQS but only 100k MQM earned 225k RDM under the old plan, but will earn 330k RDM under the new plan with the same flying and spending.

So much for "everyone just took in the shorts..."

What DL did was lower the RDM earned for less revenue and increase the RDM for more revenue. This was positive for many of us.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 10:29 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by CJKatl
Myopic? Many of us are going to earn significantly more miles under the new plan. You seem to gloss over that. A segments qualifying DM who flew 140+ MQS but only 100k MQM earned 225k RDM under the old plan, but will earn 330k RDM under the new plan with the same flying and spending.

So much for "everyone just took in the shorts..."

What DL did was lower the RDM earned for less revenue and increase the RDM for more revenue. This was positive for many of us.
It's a fraction of a small minority that are going to earn more miles from flights under the 2015 program than if still under the 2014 program next year.

The vast super-majority of DL SkyMiles customers will earn fewer miles from flights under the 2015 program rules than the current rules.

The award prices noted on the chart haven't yet shot up through the roof, but the award prices will still shoot up big time with the 5 category pricing, much like what happened when 3 category pricing for each class of service got implemented by DL.

DL's change to 3 categories for award pricing was a fleecing mechanism, and this change to 5 categories is going to be another déjà vu moment.

DL's attacking the vast majority of its SkyMiles customers on the earning and redemption side of the program in 2015.

DL's not making these changes to make the program more rewarding to more of its current customers -- DL's making these changes to make the program more profitable in the more immediate term for DL management by doing so at the expense of DL SkyMiles customers in the main.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 10:32 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by wanaflyforless
More miles are earned from non-flying than flying (and this has been true for nearly a decade now, according to InsideFlyer). As I never earned a significant portion of the millions of miles I earn every year from flying, my ability to earn Delta miles hasn't changed much.

I suggest those who really want miles broaden their knowledge of how to earn them inexpensively without flying.
So DL wants to reward game-players, particularly the credit card-churners who specialize in manufactured spend.

After all, Amex is one of DL's biggest customers -- if not its biggest private sector customer.

A kind of move that satisfies DL and Amex more than the historical status quo.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 10:36 pm

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Originally Posted by k2
I'm honestly shocked at how "not bad" this is.

Their original choice to keep this hidden for 9 months is even more baffling. Nevertheless it's certainly not the doom and gloom many anticipated, now it boils down to the tiers 1-5 inventory management.
It all comes down to management and redemption. I can have a chart that sows it is next to nothing, but if the bucket does not exist who cares how many miles it costs.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 10:40 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by hfly
Yes, they certainly have reacted in the past to things posted here, sometimes within 48 hours. So do not be surprised.

Regarding the chart, nice start, but as I said on another thread, having just increased some flights 2 or 3 times recently, and then having a slight decrease is not really a decrease at all (BE to Europe?? Last went up 65 days ago, in another 300 days some levels will go down slightly, but most will still be higher, you still think it a decrease??!!)

Will they eliminate ruinous YQ charges for redemptions starting outside the US, or will they still collude with AF/KL on these charges? Where are the charts for travel in the other direction(s).

Backslapping over the new program at this point is silly.
Indeed. The real impact of these changes will not be noticed by consumers in the main for quite some time. The impact of the 3-tier to 5-tier redemption program transition will go over largely like it did with DL's transition from a 2-tier redemption program to a 3-tier redemption program: most consumers won't know what hit them until it's too late and most of them will be worse off for the transition.

AF-KL customers who redeem AF-KL miles for DL awards are going to get pinched too, as the award availability at the lowest level drops off even more, as happened before with DL's 2-tier to 3-tier redemption transition.

History has a nasty habit of being repeated.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 10:50 pm

The point that doesn't appear to be talked about much here is while the new levels "aren't bad" considering its now much harder it will become to earn miles for the vast majority of fliers this basically is yet another devaluation because the saver mileage levels are exactly the same as they were before. Also, I have seen plenty of 32,500 or 50,000 mile coach awards under the current system so I don't understand how they can call these middle points "new". In my eyes the net effect here is this is really still just all bad news.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 10:58 pm

Programs: DL, SPG
Originally Posted by GUWonder
It's a fraction of a small minority that are going to earn more miles from flights under the 2015 program than if still under the 2014 program next year.

The vast super-majority of DL SkyMiles customers will earn fewer miles from flights under the 2015 program rules than the current rules.
The vast majority of people that post on FT earn less RDM on the 2015 program. Everyone forgets that this community represent folks that are trying to maximize their points. There are plenty of folks that will earn better but have other things to do than post on FT.

Unless you have access to SkyMiles data, I'm not sure how you can claim "The vast super-majority of DL SkyMiles customers will earn fewer miles from flights under the 2015 program rules than the current rules."
Old Mar 6, 2014, 11:15 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by AdamDunn32
The vast majority of people that post on FT earn less RDM on the 2015 program. Everyone forgets that this community represent folks that are trying to maximize their points. There are plenty of folks that will earn better but have other things to do than post on FT.

Unless you have access to SkyMiles data, I'm not sure how you can claim "The vast super-majority of DL SkyMiles customers will earn fewer miles from flights under the 2015 program rules than the current rules."
I'm quite well aware of what FT "represents" and does not "represent".

The vast super-majority of DL SkyMiles customers are not frequent flyers and almost certainly fly less and spend less on travel than most actively posting FTers in the DL forum.

My direct access to DL internal data used to be extremely good. Not everything has changed that much.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 11:18 pm

Programs: DL GM, SPG GOLD, UA DIRT, AA PLAT, US (RIP), Hilton HHonors
At this point, I don't bother even reading what Delta actually says anymore... I've just been conditioned by them to feel anger when they announce something... they made an announcement? OUTRAGE!!!! ANGER!!! ARGHH!!! THEY'RE RIPPING US OFF AGAIN (somehow)!!!!!!
Old Mar 6, 2014, 11:24 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by HatAndJacket
At this point, I don't bother even reading what Delta actually says anymore... I've just been conditioned by them to feel anger when they announce something... they made an announcement? OUTRAGE!!!! ANGER!!! ARGHH!!! THEY'RE RIPPING US OFF AGAIN (somehow)!!!!!!
If the reading upsets you, wait until the 5-tier fleecing program is live and you are booking under that DL regime.

Plenty of DL customers -- including some on FT -- believed the 2-tier to 3-tier redemption chart transition would be an improvement for them and many others; however, it did what it was meant to do: for most DL customers trying to redeem miles the additional tier pricing implementation made things far worse (and further "broke" the "broken" award calendar).

Viva SkyPesos.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 11:29 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Lifetime Marriott Platinum, Avis Preferred
The usual DL hub-captives here who are the apologists for DL will of course try to spin anything that DL does in a positive light. That is because they are stuck with DL and have no choice. Fortunately, there are some of us here who do have choices, and who don't have to take the usual DL lies, omissions and deceptions like the captives do. We can make rational choices about our future carriers with objective data not spewed out by the DL spin machine. Those want to, or who have to drink the DL Kool Aid are welcome to, or perhaps have to , continue drinking it. Fortunately I, and many others here, are not among them. And as for those who say all other carriers will follow, you don't know that do you? Perhaps you are hoping they do so you will better about the fact you are trapped.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 12:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by AdamDunn32

I'm not sure I'd characterize it as "the vast majority." I haven't attempted to count, but I've noticed a lot of new and/or infrequent posters who say that they will earn more RDMs under the new rules, in addition to some of the vocal frequent posters on this and other topics. Of course it depends greatly on one's own travel patterns, but it's not just the ones who qualify for status on high-fare short segments who will benefit from the 2015 changes to RDM earning. Beyond that, one might or might not view the new system as more fair.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 12:21 am

Programs: DL Platinum, Hilton Diamond VIP, Marriott Platinum
I get offended every time when someone says SkyPesos. I am a Spanish speaker and travel to MEX regularly. Plus considering Grupo Aeroméxico and Delta just recently opened TechOps Mexico yesterday. Show a little respect, and grow up.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 12:29 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by technole
I get offended every time when someone says SkyPesos. I am a Spanish speaker and travel to MEX regularly. Plus considering Grupo Aeroméxico and Delta just recently opened TechOps Mexico yesterday. Show a little respect, and grow up.
Some get offended for no good reason, even as trying to give offense to other. And others not.

I'm a Spanish speaker and travel to MEX and other parts of Latin America regularly.

DL SkyPesos it is -- in honor of Argentina nowadays. Viva SkyPesos. The real pain from SkyPesos will be felt starting in 2015 when the 5-tier redemption fleecing mechanism gets fully implemented and goes live.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 12:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by javabytes
Just like the introduction of the 3-tier award chart made things better at the Saver level...
But wait, JR promised the # of lows would not decrease.

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Exactly. More shells to fool more customers.

Instead of just three shells to use to try to con its customers in the shell game, DL has decided to use five shells instead to con more of its customers more easily.
That term "shells" describes DL's play very well.

Originally Posted by Delta Points
Kinda fun to compare to the old 2009 NWA chart - makes 2014 look not SO bad!
Did you forget the days of intra Asia J for 35K?

Originally Posted by DL2SXM
thats a nice chart but the problem has always been with finding the low value that delta advertises. Try finding low availability to the Middle East or S.E. Asia... Good luck! At least with UA, at least in the past, you had plenty of low choice options.
+1. When it comes down to it, the higher levels, lack of flexibility options, horrible website, broken award calendar, inability to search partners, and uninformed agents makes the DL cost much higher.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.