Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gate Checkers Get Early Boarding!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2014, 12:30 pm

Programs: DL
I board early in first class, because the coach people use the overhead space. The FA's usually say and do nothing.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by emrdoc
Unless you need overhead space, are in First Class or perhaps have children, why would you want to board early? One spends enough time already sitting in those cramped seats!

I'd guess for some, the anxiety of travel and waiting around at the airport is enough to warrant early boarding. You can sit down, breathe and know that you're already in your seat instead of waiitng on yet another long line to board?

Maybe thats just me?
Old Mar 5, 2014, 12:37 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA Platinum, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by richardinmotion
Because many fliers are unexperienced, and have extreme anxiety about the process. They're afraid they won't be able to find their seat. They're afraid that someone else will be sitting in it. They're hoping for a first class upgrade. Etc, etc. They just want to get in their seat, after weeks or months of stressing. Look around a gate 30 minutes prior to boarding. 80% of the people have a wide-eyed look on their face, clenching their boarding pass in both hands and obsessively checking it and their phone/watch for the time.
Well this is true but on red-eyes I do want to be on the plane first so I can start falling asleep sooner...on my flights boarding early vs late is a difference of 30 minutes of precious sleep time.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 12:43 pm

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Sometimes I'll close my bin to save space for my seatmate.
That's very thoughtful of you! I hope you are my seatmate the next time I'm running late with a carry-on
Old Mar 5, 2014, 12:45 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
For me the only reason to board as soon as possible is so that I can make sure I have overhead bin space. If you're gatechecking why would you want to board any earlier than possible? In first maybe you want to have a pre-flight cocktail. But in Y why be there even a second longer than need be?
Old Mar 5, 2014, 12:49 pm

yesterday on my flight from MSP to DEN I was really late getting on board. I had about 12 minutes to go from C20 to F16.

Anyway - she said "I saved some space for you over your seat". I was very skeptical and bet her a drink that it was not still there.

It was....

needless to say this is why I fly delta. Even with the changes it will be difficult to look at other airlines.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by KevinDTW
That's my experience as well. One of the best things about the 757 is the lack of this problem.
Sadly, someday the 757s will all be retired and that will be the last of the 2L narrowbody boarding.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 1:33 pm

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
Originally Posted by motytrah
Sadly, someday the 757s will all be retired and that will be the last of the 2L narrowbody boarding.
One thing I won't miss, though, is the frequency with which the 757 seatmap can change when you're in Y because of all the differently-configured versions DL flies. Especially because I like to try to get one of those EC 2-seat rows (15 E & D IIRC) and those sometimes disappear if they swap equipment at the last minute.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 3:12 pm

Unless you need overhead space, are in First Class or perhaps have children, why would you want to board early? One spends enough time already sitting in those cramped seats!

If you get on first you get there first too, right? Wait..what?
Old Mar 5, 2014, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by richardinmotion
Because many fliers are unexperienced, and have extreme anxiety about the process. They're afraid they won't be able to find their seat. They're afraid that someone else will be sitting in it. They're hoping for a first class upgrade. Etc, etc. They just want to get in their seat, after weeks or months of stressing. Look around a gate 30 minutes prior to boarding. 80% of the people have a wide-eyed look on their face, clenching their boarding pass in both hands and obsessively checking it and their phone/watch for the time.
Dude, where do you fly to? Sure there are some people who freak out, but they're a small minority not 80%. I love how everyone on FT assumes everyone else is a complete idiot who doesn't understand how flying works. Even the most INexperienced flyer out there, understands the general concept of boarding and I highly doubt anyone is stressing for months about boarding a flight (maybe the odd exception here and there for people who are genuinely afraid of flying but have to fly for whatever reason).

If anything a high percentage of people are the elites who would knock their invalid grandmother out of line in order to board first.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 3:41 pm

Exclamation

Originally Posted by KoKoBuddy
Dude, where do you fly to? Sure there are some people who freak out, but they're a small minority not 80%. I love how everyone on FT assumes everyone else is a complete idiot who doesn't understand how flying works. Even the most INexperienced flyer out there, understands the general concept of boarding and I highly doubt anyone is stressing for months about boarding a flight (maybe the odd exception here and there for people who are genuinely afraid of flying but have to fly for whatever reason).

If anything a high percentage of people are the elites who would knock their invalid grandmother out of line in order to board first.
I think there are a fair number of infrequent flyers who are fairly anxious about the entire experience and this does result in them wanting to board early.

What I find inexplicable are the number of SkyPriority flyers who rush to board first on a CRJ-200. Explain that!!
Old Mar 5, 2014, 5:15 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Originally Posted by injera
I'd guess for some, the anxiety of travel and waiting around at the airport is enough to warrant early boarding. You can sit down, breathe and know that you're already in your seat instead of waiitng on yet another long line to board?

Maybe thats just me?
I don't consider myself an anxious flyer, but the second part describes me. I'm more of an anxious waiter for anything, not just flying. I try to time it to leave the club and hit the gate as F or Sky is boarding so I don't have to stand or sit around at the gate waiting. For whatever reason, waiting to close the door and take off doesn't seem nearly as bad as waiting in an airport, probably because I know I'm settled into one place for the next x hours.

I think there are a fair number of infrequent flyers who are fairly anxious about the entire experience and this does result in them wanting to board early.

What I find inexplicable are the number of SkyPriority flyers who rush to board first on a CRJ-200. Explain that!!
I usually try to grab seats 1B or 1C on the 200s. These seats have the best legroom on the plane, but I need to board early to have space for my small backpack in the overhead. Last time I flew one the FA shut the first bins on each side of the aircraft to reserve them for bulkhead passengers.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 5:24 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, DL Gold
If I was in Y and gate checking I would personally want to be the last person to board. The advantage of boarding early is bin space. This doesn't make sense to me but if it means less bags to compete for space with I'm 100% supportive.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by mattp1987
I don't consider myself an anxious flyer, but the second part describes me. I'm more of an anxious waiter for anything, not just flying. I try to time it to leave the club and hit the gate as F or Sky is boarding so I don't have to stand or sit around at the gate waiting. For whatever reason, waiting to close the door and take off doesn't seem nearly as bad as waiting in an airport, probably because I know I'm settled into one place for the next x hours.

I usually try to grab seats 1B or 1C on the 200s. These seats have the best legroom on the plane, but I need to board early to have space for my small backpack in the overhead. Last time I flew one the FA shut the first bins on each side of the aircraft to reserve them for bulkhead passengers.
Watch out for the head injury... :-)
Old Mar 6, 2014, 8:10 am

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by mattp1987
That was nice of the FA.

Only problem with boarding early in that seat is that you get smacked in the head by the bags of roughly 46 boarding passengers...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.