Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gate Checkers Get Early Boarding!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2014, 11:16 am
Original Poster

Location: Just relocated to Phoenix, so I guess that does it for Delta for me
Programs: DL "Annual" GM 2MM, AA lifetime Gold 1MM, Hilton Gold, Hertz President's Club
Gate Checkers Get Early Boarding!

Never saw this before. Right after the preboards got on my flight ATL-SMF this morning, the gate agent announced, "If you come up and check your bag, you can board right away." Then as a line formed, she began checking the bags and the people did indeed get to board. This was before first class was called! After they had checked about 10 bags, they began to quietly also let the first class folks board. Is this a new "feature"? It definitely got more gate check bags than usual. Didn't hear much grumbling but I think most of us were too stunned.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 11:22 am

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, IHG Spire
I think that would be fine, as long as the FA enforces that none of them except bulkhead seats get to put their 2nd carry on (aka "personal item") in the overhead.

Heck, I think if the FA really, truly enforced one carry on overhead (and no coats) to begin with, they wouldn't have the OH space problem that usually happens.

Last edited by kitkat77; Mar 5, 2014 at 11:53 am
Old Mar 5, 2014, 11:27 am

Exclamation

Originally Posted by lovecabo
Never saw this before. Right after the preboards got on my flight ATL-SMF this morning, the gate agent announced, "If you come up and check your bag, you can board right away." Then as a line formed, she began checking the bags and the people did indeed get to board. This was before first class was called! After they had checked about 10 bags, they began to quietly also let the first class folks board. Is this a new "feature"? It definitely got more gate check bags than usual. Didn't hear much grumbling but I think most of us were too stunned.

Unless you need overhead space, are in First Class or perhaps have children, why would you want to board early? One spends enough time already sitting in those cramped seats!

Old Mar 5, 2014, 11:28 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Probably not a new feature, but perhaps the Gate Agents knew the plane would be full so asking coach/economy folks to gate check before boarding may have eliminated on board issues?

Although I wasn't there, I think that is better than sitting in first and having people in coach/economy lug their oversized bags from the back of the plane to the front after we're seated. Someone always get hit with the luggage, people in back are confused and it just leads to delays.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by emrdoc
Unless you need overhead space, are in First Class or perhaps have children, why would you want to board early? One spends enough time already sitting in those cramped seats!

Agree 100%. The only real benefit to boarding early is the availability of overhead space(and/or free drink in first class). If you're going to be gate checking your bag anyway, why would you be in a rush to get on the plane?
Old Mar 5, 2014, 11:40 am

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
Originally Posted by kitkat77
I think that would be fine, as long as the FA enforces that none of them except bulkhead seats get to put their 2nd carry on in the overhead.
And that FC bin space is reserved for FC passengers.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 11:46 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by kitkat77
I think that would be fine, as long as the FA enforces that none of them except bulkhead seats get to put their 2nd carry on in the overhead.

Heck, I think if the FA really, truly enforced one carry on overhead (and no coats) to begin with, they wouldn't have the OH space problem that usually happens.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but FAs have nothing to do with Carry Ons, prior to boarding. That is the Gate Agents job. Ive been on flights (DL, AA & UA) where there has been an issue with (size of) baggage and the gate agent came onboard to resolve the situation.

However, I've never been on a flight where economy/coach passenger have been allowed to put their carry-ons in first class overhead bins. Exception being a very, very small item for someone in the first row of economy/coach during takeoff/landing.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 11:52 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Gold
DL (and all other carriers) have hawked the credit cards with early boarding so everyone has been conditioned to see it as a "benefit". I don't find it strange that people want to grab every free "benefit" they can get even if it doesn't actually benefit them.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 11:53 am

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by KENNECTED
Correct me if I'm wrong, but FAs have nothing to do with Carry Ons, prior to boarding. That is the Gate Agents job. Ive been on flights (DL, AA & UA) where there has been an issue with (size of) baggage and the gate agent came onboard to resolve the situation.

However, I've never been on a flight where economy/coach passenger have been allowed to put their carry-ons in first class overhead bins. Exception being a very, very small item for someone in the first row of economy/coach during takeoff/landing.
I was only referring to the second carry on, which I suppose they call "personal item", and people who place it in the overhead bin rather than under the seat in front of you. This time of year, they usually also place their coat up there (even as the FA is asking them specifically not to do so).

This has nothing to do with size.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 11:55 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Not only would I be fine with this being the new policy, I'd love to see it happen. The look on some CC holder's face when he/she now realizes he/she is in the fifth zone to board would be priceless. Pre-GCs-Prem-Sky-Zone 1 has a nice ring to it.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 11:56 am

Programs: Delta FO
Originally Posted by TJtv
Agree 100%. The only real benefit to boarding early is the availability of overhead space(and/or free drink in first class). If you're going to be gate checking your bag anyway, why would you be in a rush to get on the plane?
Because many fliers are unexperienced, and have extreme anxiety about the process. They're afraid they won't be able to find their seat. They're afraid that someone else will be sitting in it. They're hoping for a first class upgrade. Etc, etc. They just want to get in their seat, after weeks or months of stressing. Look around a gate 30 minutes prior to boarding. 80% of the people have a wide-eyed look on their face, clenching their boarding pass in both hands and obsessively checking it and their phone/watch for the time.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 12:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by KENNECTED

I see coach passengers putting their stuff in FC bins all the time and I only very rarely see a FA say anything about it. This is even on aircraft with signs on/in the FC bins saying that they're for FC passengers.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 12:24 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I see coach passengers putting their stuff in FC bins all the time and I only very rarely see a FA say anything about it. This is even on aircraft with signs on/in the FC bins saying that they're for FC passengers.
I've seen it happen and the FC FA then ask what cabin they are in. If they are a coach passenger, the FA will then explain that their items must be in the cabin they are seated in and the FC overhead bins are for the FC passengers.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 12:24 pm

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
That's my experience as well. One of the best things about the 757 is the lack of this problem.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 12:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by KevinDTW
That's my experience as well. One of the best things about the 757 is the lack of this problem.
Sometimes I'll close my bin to save space for my seatmate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.