Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is this DL lawsuit possible

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2014, 9:53 pm

In the T&C's that you agreed to, Delta reserves the right to change the program which is exactly what they did.

So to answer your question no. You can either fly Delta or status match somewhere else if you think the grass is greener on the other side.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 10:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
No you can't sue and win. It's all pretty well covered in the terms in conditions the OP never bothered to read. Might want to ring up Phaedra though in ATL i hear she's gonna need the business..who knows.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 10:40 pm
Original Member

Is there a possibility that some person might find an attorney desperate enough to file this lawsuit? It's possible.

Is there any chance of winning such a lawsuit? Negatory.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 10:44 pm

Programs: *A Junkie, SQ PPS, Skywards Gold, 2 Million Mile Flyer;*wood LT Plat, BA MM
Originally Posted by kettle1
This would be great if only Judge Judy was the judge. OP would even get a free trip to NYC.

This brilliant statement is from someone that is not, I repeat not a lawyer.
I always thought you Delta folk were more cultured and cosmopolitan than us UAers. Judge Judy doesn't film in New York. Anyone care to take a wild guess where Judge Judy is filmed?

PS $47 mil a year = $900K per workday (52 days a year). I don't think she worries about flying commercially...

Last edited by UrbaneGent; Feb 28, 2014 at 11:01 pm
Old Feb 28, 2014, 11:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
Originally Posted by UrbaneGent
I always thought you Delta folk were more cultured and cosmopolitan than us UAers. Judge Judy doesn't film in New York. Anyone care to take a wild guess where Judge Judy is filmed?

PS $47 mil a year = $900K per workday (52 days a year). I don't think she worries about flying commercially...
Yeah i don't think she's too worried about Skymiles..good for her.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 5:19 am

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
What about intentional infliction of emotional distress? If not damages, can we at least get an injunction to stop them from playing the part of the videos where Richard Anderson talks about honesty, integrity, and mutual respect?
Old Mar 1, 2014, 5:41 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by Nugget_Oz
The U.S. Supreme Court's decision in the WorldPerks matter puts your case to rest. Please pay court fees and defendants fees on your way out of court.
But the SCotUS also recently decided that a passenger can sue DL (the famous rabbi case). The cases don't address the same question, but DL claims the right to kick anyone out of SM and confiscate their miles at any time and the rabbi at least won the right to sue about it. You CAN make a common law contract claim against the airline, and in such cases the result MIGHT differ from what one would expect from reading the ToS. So DL's ToS don't have the status of stone tablets brought down from Mt. Sinai. That is my only point.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 5:45 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by HongKonger
But the SCotUS also recently decided that a passenger can sue DL (the famous rabbi case). The cases don't address the same question, but DL claims the right to kick anyone out of SM and confiscate their miles at any time and the rabbi at least won the right to sue about it. You CAN make a common law contract claim against the airline, and in such cases the result MIGHT differ from what one would expect from reading the ToS. So DL's ToS don't have the status of stone tablets brought down from Mt. Sinai. That is my only point.
I think the fact that somebody started this thread and some of the posts that have been added to this thread RATIFY many of my points completely. Thanks. I LOVE to wake up to validation.

Last edited by bubbashow; Mar 1, 2014 at 5:53 am
Old Mar 1, 2014, 5:47 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by RustyC
Lest we forget, with the 1995 changes that brought in SkyMiles, DL separated old miles from new miles and, for a time, allowed old miles to be redeemed on the old chart, as they knew they were somewhat vulnerable to claims that people who'd accumulated miles under one system were being essentially baited and then switched.

The fairness part hasn't changed, but rather the expectations have. More-conservative courts and a more laissez-faire mentality are easy to see, even though for consumers it's generally been just a long, slow march downward on that path. We also tend to hold individuals to much higher standards now than we do businesses (If I tried to do what AIG did on an individual basis I'd be arrested for fraud).

Having been part of the "class" on a number of class-actions I know well first-hand about lawyers dividing big pots and people not getting much on settlements. But the DETERRENT effect is still very important, as settling is expensive to the company as well. And the behavior that leads to the class action is typically easily avoided and most often a company going out of its way to do something anti-consumer and get small amounts of extra money from large numbers of people. Companies tend to behave much better when that's a possibility.
Not only this but DOJ and DOT are asleep at the wheel, so DL knows they can get away with just about anything.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 5:49 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by phenobarbital
Should be wary of graduates of the Nancy Grace school of law.

I'll say it for you. Less than 0% chance unless you catch the judge in bed with... Even then, reversed on appeal.
Which school is that?
Old Mar 1, 2014, 5:57 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by UrbaneGent

Maybe we are and that's why we don't know anything about Judge Judy. @:-)
Old Mar 1, 2014, 5:59 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by bubbashow
I think the fact that somebody started this thread and some of the posts that have been added to this thread RATIFY many of my points completely. Thanks. I LOVE to wake up to validation.
Meaning what? I have never suggested that anybody sue or opined that a suit is likely to succeed. I would advise against it. I have only said that DL is not completely immune from suit regarding SM. And that's the truth.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 7:29 am

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Carl Johnson
What about intentional infliction of emotional distress? If not damages, can we at least get an injunction to stop them from playing the part of the videos where Richard Anderson talks about honesty, integrity, and mutual respect?

Personally would like to see DL meet us part way on these enhancements we ask for from our feedback and include a sample size of Vaseline in our DM packages but of course, a sample size wouldnt be enough for a whole year anyway.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by HongKonger
Which school is that?
Apparently the one that the "you can sue" folks on this thread went to.

I think even a guy with a JD from InfiLaw would say - "you have no case".
Old Mar 1, 2014, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by Carl Johnson
I wish, but there is no chance with this one either. These statements are so silly that any person claiming to have believed them would not be credible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.