Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Why is DL's HOU / IAH Service So Lacking?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why is DL's HOU / IAH Service So Lacking?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2014, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
What is most lacking is the lack of a club at IAH.

(I miss the old club.)
Old Feb 4, 2014, 1:10 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Ledfish
I would disagree, I think post Wright Amendment, you will see DL take a big presence at Dallas-Love. They have already announced some months back an increase of daily flights into/out of Love field starting October 2014.
While they have certainly announced they would like a bigger presence at Love, they've only said they want to add service to their hubs that is currently not allowed under Wright, not to debate a term like 'big presence', but I wouldn't consider just hub service to be a 'big presence' at an airport, that's what any airport serving a metropolitan area its size would have (if not more).
Old Feb 4, 2014, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Gold Elite, former multi-year Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Often1
Basic misunderstanding of basic economics and the industry. With three legacy carriers left, there is zero incentive for DL to do much at IAH. Everyone, including DOJ, when DL/NW, UA/CO and now AA/US were approved.

Get used to fewer choices, radically higher prices and the notion that DL could care less if OP jumps ship to UA and even less if he jumps to WN (just can't seem to find the seat selection map on their website).
I guess I'm foolish for thinking Delta would want to compete for corporate contracts including all the major energy companies and the subsidiary service companies not to mention private equity firms and the like (or medical contracts, for that matter, since Houston has the largest medical center in the world now). I would think there is a major competitive advantage DL would build were it to build up service some at HOU. DL has invested in focus cities in RDU and BNA (note, BNA has a lot of WN service, just like HOU). Yet the amount of business traffic available in those cities is smaller than Houston.

You're probably right that DL is profitable now and simply doesn't care to try and gain even more market share. But as one who lives in the loop and works downtown, IAH is very inconvenient. The same is true of many Houstonians. There is a strong opportunity for a legacy at HOU (as I said, analogize it to DCA).
Old Feb 4, 2014, 2:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Gold Elite, former multi-year Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by michiganjd
I relocated from CVG to a better job in Houston. This thread is interesting because I'm thinking of doing a UA status match.

I wrote in to customer care on my relocation and said lack of LAX service would force me to do more business with UA. I got the standard nice response.

However, I sat next to a fleet captain the other day on west coast flight to ATL. He manages 80 pilots and we spoke a bit about this issue.

I said overall my last half-dozen years as a PM have been great, but I have two main gripes, which I'd appreciate him saying to the appropriate person---

1. IAH needs direct service to LAX. He was actually surprised that they did not have it.
Agree, DL's service to the West Coast is particularly lacking. A simple flight or two to LAX would make a big difference. Most of the time DL wants to route me through ATL to fly to CA. It's one thing to go a little out of the day, but two hours of the way is a bit much.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 2:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by youngdlplat
I guess I'm foolish for thinking Delta would want to compete for corporate contracts including all the major energy companies and the subsidiary service companies not to mention private equity firms and the like (or medical contracts, for that matter, since Houston has the largest medical center in the world now). I would think there is a major competitive advantage DL would build were it to build up service some at HOU. DL has invested in focus cities in RDU and BNA (note, BNA has a lot of WN service, just like HOU). Yet the amount of business traffic available in those cities is smaller than Houston.
In your opinion, why are UA and AA similarly not "competing" in SEA, MSP, ATL, DTW, etc. at the same levels DL does?

You're probably right that DL is profitable now and simply doesn't care to try and gain even more market share.
Chasing market share is a losing strategy in the airline industry.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I guess I'm foolish for thinking Delta would want to compete for corporate contracts including all the major energy companies ...
Don't forget, now that DL is a refiner, those major energy companies are competitors...
Old Feb 5, 2014, 10:40 am

Programs: DL PM, Hertz PC, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
What is most lacking is the lack of a club at IAH.
Indeed. Even a mini club would make flying out of there less painful -- it would be different if it were a modern terminal.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 10:50 am

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by DaveNC
Indeed. Even a mini club would make flying out of there less painful -- it would be different if it were a modern terminal.
As a DL SkyClub member I have never encountered any difficulty entering the amazing KL lounge at IAH---it really blows domestic SCs out of the water.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
As a DL SkyClub member I have never encountered any difficulty entering the amazing KL lounge at IAH---it really blows domestic SCs out of the water.
See bolding above... that is setting the praise threshold pretty low.

But, KL lounge might not be much help when you are flying DL domestic out of Terminal A. How long does it talk to get from A to D via the train?
Old Feb 5, 2014, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DaveNC
Used to have one. Accessible via a stairway just down the hall to the left of the current DL check-in area.

It was a nice little club.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 1:55 pm

Programs: DL Silver (0.239 MM), DL SkyClub Life, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
But, KL lounge might not be much help when you are flying DL domestic out of Terminal A. How long does it talk to get from A to D via the train?
It's a pretty easy five minutes. The killer, though, is the odd hours that never really seem to match what KLM publishes on its own website. Especially when there's only one flight departing to AMS and it closes pretty early (3 PM, I think?)
Old Feb 5, 2014, 2:14 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Le Club Accorhotels Platinum, Club Carlson Gold
Daily nonstops to/from SEA:
IAH-SEA DL9259 (operated by AS), SEA-IAH DL9202 (operated by AS).
Old Feb 5, 2014, 4:02 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA Gold/1MM, AS MVP 100K, BA Gold, TK Elite
Originally Posted by uavking
It's a pretty easy five minutes. The killer, though, is the odd hours that never really seem to match what KLM publishes on its own website. Especially when there's only one flight departing to AMS and it closes pretty early (3 PM, I think?)
KLM recently extended the hours of the club in D (something like 10-7). This makes it much better.

I can't see DL adding a new flight to SEA (more likely that AS adds a second) unless AS gets closer to AA. LAX seems more likely with a E170/175 like LGA.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 4:32 pm

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Originally Posted by hazelrah
. With WN, UA, and AA why does Texas need DL?
Texas does not need DL, but enough of the DL strong holds do business in Texas to warrant the service. How many people from the Southeast, prefer and mainly fly DL, but choose CO/AA since DL does not have flights to Midland and decent service to ELP. Those two cities are booming with business flyers.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 5:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by troyintn
Texas does not need DL, but enough of the DL strong holds do business in Texas to warrant the service. How many people from the Southeast, prefer and mainly fly DL, but choose CO/AA since DL does not have flights to Midland and decent service to ELP. Those two cities are booming with business flyers.
My condolences to anyone that has to take a business trip to Midland.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.