FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Why is DL's HOU / IAH Service So Lacking?
Old Feb 4, 2014, 2:38 pm
youngdlplat

Programs: United Gold Elite, former multi-year Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Often1
Basic misunderstanding of basic economics and the industry. With three legacy carriers left, there is zero incentive for DL to do much at IAH. Everyone, including DOJ, when DL/NW, UA/CO and now AA/US were approved.

Get used to fewer choices, radically higher prices and the notion that DL could care less if OP jumps ship to UA and even less if he jumps to WN (just can't seem to find the seat selection map on their website).
I guess I'm foolish for thinking Delta would want to compete for corporate contracts including all the major energy companies and the subsidiary service companies not to mention private equity firms and the like (or medical contracts, for that matter, since Houston has the largest medical center in the world now). I would think there is a major competitive advantage DL would build were it to build up service some at HOU. DL has invested in focus cities in RDU and BNA (note, BNA has a lot of WN service, just like HOU). Yet the amount of business traffic available in those cities is smaller than Houston.

You're probably right that DL is profitable now and simply doesn't care to try and gain even more market share. But as one who lives in the loop and works downtown, IAH is very inconvenient. The same is true of many Houstonians. There is a strong opportunity for a legacy at HOU (as I said, analogize it to DCA).