Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Restrooms no longer separated by cabin?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Restrooms no longer separated by cabin?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2014, 1:16 pm

Programs: DL, KL/AF, card carrying stick-in-mud
Originally Posted by Carl Johnson
Well they enforce it pretty hard. I was on an upgrade on a 757 and the F lav was occupied and there was no body in the forward Y lav and nobody heading toward it so I snuck back. The FA stopped me, saying between clenched teeth "If you wanted to use an economy class lavatory you should have bought an economy class ticket!"

Fortunately, it was a gate upgrade and I had my original boarding pass to show that I had in fact bought an economy class ticket so she let me proceed.
Facepalm! That seems a ridiculous rule, and even more ridiculous to enforce it.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by davetravels
A CO FA once told me that it was against FAA regulations to go to the lav in my socks.***

***After all the horror stories I've read here, I simply don't do that any more!
I don't know about the horror stories here, but i would never wear socks into a public bathroom (apparently men don't care if it goes in bowl or on floor??)
Old Jan 20, 2014, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Some FAs try to keep Y people out of the F lav more than others. I really don't care as long as they don't bump me or my seat.

Originally Posted by xolinlevh
Now that it was mentioned I do think I've heard the "federal law" line about remaining in your cabin.
Originally Posted by cmd320
I was under the impression that federal law required passengers to use only the lavs designated for their cabin. At least that's an announcement I've heard more than once.
Originally Posted by madchemiker
Realistically and practically, federal law should only establish minimum safety requirements and at most recommend best practices with regard to safety.
There are no "laws"; there are FARs and Operations Specifications. OpSpecs are written by the airlines, are approved by the FAA, and become de facto FARs.

Originally Posted by xolinlevh
Normally I don't care if a person comes up and uses the F lav. But the grouping I found very annoying. A couple decided they liked the view out the 1AB window and were leaning over people to look and point at stuff which I sorta found rude.
Slam the shade shut and charge a Scenery Fee. Trickle-down FCM!
Old Jan 20, 2014, 2:49 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by rylan
No mid cabin lav and a stretched plane means pax will be going to the front.
Heavens to Betsy! What is this world coming to!!!

Originally Posted by Live4Miles
(apparently men don't care if it goes in bowl or on floor??)

Heavens to Betsy!!!
Old Jan 20, 2014, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by N965VJ
Slam the shade shut and charge a Scenery Fee. Trickle-down FCM!
Lol! Thats not a bad idea!
Old Jan 21, 2014, 7:21 am

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
It must just depend on the particular FAs -- I was on 4 FC segments this past weekend and not one had the announcement about using the lavatory in your cabin. Many flights I've been on lately (esp on A319/320) they haven't bothered to draw the curtain. Come to think of it, I haven't even seen them turn a coach passenger away from the FC lav in a long time.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 7:25 am

My pet peeve is when they use the beverage cart instead of the lav.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 7:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by madchemiker
I notice that for a lot of people in general, but on this site in particular, when they don't like a rule or action, they claim that it is either not a federal law when the rule is enforced with action, or that it is a federal law when the rule is not enforced with action. Realistically and practically, federal law should only establish minimum safety requirements and at most recommend best practices with regard to safety. I personally thing that lavatories should be like exits: "Please take note of the location of the lavatories, keeping in mind the closest lavatory may be behind you."
But the point is that people should use the lavatory for their cabin, NOT the closest one. On some aircraft, the nearest rule would mean that the front half of coach would use The sole FC lavatory.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 7:59 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
I often fly in the bulkhead or economy comfort. I tend to respect the rules and walk all the way to the back of the plane to use the restroom when necessary. Occasionally I will "sneak" up to the first class lav when beverage service is occuring, but generally I will walk back. However I've never been told to go to the back when I have walked up to the F lav.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 8:23 am

Programs: Delta FO
Well, I'm not going to stop using the front lav while flying EC. Maybe to appease everyone in F, I'll make a bracelet out of one of my platinum luggage tags and just wear it.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
But the point is that people should use the lavatory for their cabin, NOT the closest one.
In an ideal world yes, but let's be realistic: when you have to go, you have to go. I'm certain everybody's encountered a situation in their life in which they've soiled or nearly soiled themselves because they could not find a public bathroom.
On some DL aircraft, there's a ratio of one bathroom per 65 passengers; if one person takes their time it can get real ugly.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 8:40 am

Programs: AA ExPlt, UA Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by I_Can_Fly_US_Airways
They announce that it is, but it is NOT a federal law!
Actually, it is a DHS requirement on International Flights inbound to the U.S.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 8:48 am

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by 777Pax
Actually, it is a DHS requirement on International Flights inbound to the U.S.
I generally fly into the States two or three times each year and for the past 5 years or so have only sat in Biz Elite. As my flights are long (about 12 hours), and my doctor has told me I must walk around every few hours to avoid DVT, I try two or three times during the flight to go through the entire plane.

Until about 2 years ago, I asked FAs if I was allowed to go into Y and they always told me that Y pax are not allowed in Biz but Biz pax are allowed in Y.

Finally, I gave up asking and just do it -- and never once has an FA objected.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 10:48 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Dovster
I generally fly into the States two or three times each year and for the past 5 years or so have only sat in Biz Elite. As my flights are long (about 12 hours), and my doctor has told me I must walk around every few hours to avoid DVT, I try two or three times during the flight to go through the entire plane.

Until about 2 years ago, I asked FAs if I was allowed to go into Y and they always told me that Y pax are not allowed in Biz but Biz pax are allowed in Y.

Finally, I gave up asking and just do it -- and never once has an FA objected.
When I do that, about half of the time I've been challenged by a FA when attempting to reenter BE. I've also been told that a downstairs BE passenger cannot enter the stairs to the upper deck.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 2:38 pm

Programs: DL PM 1.5 MM , Hilton Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by Carl Johnson
Well they enforce it pretty hard. I was on an upgrade on a 757 and the F lav was occupied and there was no body in the forward Y lav and nobody heading toward it so I snuck back. The FA stopped me, saying between clenched teeth "If you wanted to use an economy class lavatory you should have bought an economy class ticket!"

Fortunately, it was a gate upgrade and I had my original boarding pass to show that I had in fact bought an economy class ticket so she let me proceed.
Nice

For me, I rarely see a line in the FC section from people in Y. Normally when their aisle is blocked, I've seen the FA tell them to wait behind the curtain and they just come up one at a time. (of course YMMV)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.