Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Restrooms no longer separated by cabin?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2014, 8:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres

Flying to Atlanta this morning and noticed during the usual FA blurb they pointed out the restrooms in the rear of the cabin and "also one in the front of the aircraft" made no mention of it being for first only. Right now as I sit in 2A there are 3 coach pax hovering next to the front restroom waiting and chatting. Is this an official change or just FA not enforcing the separation of the cabins?
Old Jan 19, 2014, 8:29 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
I've had it both ways - - In the announcement - - NOT in the announcement. Also, enforcement is about the same - Sometimes Y pax attempting to use the F lav are asked to go to the back - Sometimes not - and Sometimes, a mixture during the same flight.

Bottom line - Is there an official policy and just lack of enforcement, or do they just not care?
Old Jan 19, 2014, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
I was under the impression that federal law required passengers to use only the lavs designated for their cabin. At least that's an announcement I've heard more than once.
Old Jan 19, 2014, 8:50 am

It's all about First Class Monetization. Coach passengers can now pay extra for use of First Class toilets!
Old Jan 19, 2014, 8:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
I was never sure if it was a strict rule. Now that it was mentioned I do think I've heard the "federal law" line about remaining in your cabin. Normally I don't care if a person comes up and uses the F lav. But the grouping I found very annoying. A couple decided they liked the view out the 1AB window and were leaning over people to look and point at stuff which I sorta found rude. I don't believe coach beverage was still going on but not positive.
Old Jan 19, 2014, 9:04 am

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by cmd320
I was under the impression that federal law required passengers to use only the lavs designated for their cabin. At least that's an announcement I've heard more than once.
A CO FA once told me that it was against FAA regulations to go to the lav in my socks.***

***After all the horror stories I've read here, I simply don't do that any more!
Old Jan 19, 2014, 9:19 am

Programs: Delta FO
What about PM/DM in EC?
Old Jan 19, 2014, 9:21 am
Formerly known as I_Hate_US_Airways

Programs: My Loyalty Programs? I now VOTE with my wallet!!!
No...

Originally Posted by cmd320
They announce that it is, but it is NOT a federal law!
Old Jan 19, 2014, 9:30 am

They usually say it's for security reasons, not federal law. As noted, unevenly enforced. I would think it could vary by type of aircraft.
Old Jan 19, 2014, 9:35 am

I've been given the Federal regulation line specifically as it relates to in-bound international flights to the US. Not sure if it is still true as I haven't flown internationally in a while.
Old Jan 19, 2014, 9:42 am

It's EASY for a FA (or other front line employee) to blame anything and everything on "REGULATIONS"!
Old Jan 19, 2014, 9:50 am

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K, AA EXP, US G, SPG P, HH D, MR G, NEXUS/GE, DL AMEX Reserve
As stated by another poster it's part of the FCM process. By allowing coach kettle to use the FC Lav it exposes them to the FC cabin with hopes that next time they will pay for it.
Old Jan 19, 2014, 9:57 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
1. If this was an international flight, movement between cabins is prohibited by DHS, not FAA (DOT). And, that rule permits cabin crew broad discretion and that broad discretion results in the rule largely being honored in the breach, the smart thing being to consult with a crew member before invading hallowed ground.

2. On domestic flights there is no such rule. Air carriers are required to have a safety & security policy and to file that with FAA (DOT). Once filed with DOT, the failure to enforce the policy becomes a violation. It is a distinction without a meaning.

3. The stated reasons for requiring use of lavs in ticketed cabin are safety & security, not DYKWIA. I take it that the aircraft landed safely?
Old Jan 19, 2014, 10:20 am

Programs: DL GM
My peeve is when FC passengers use the forward coach lav on the 757 instead of the forward lav in the FC cabin.
Old Jan 19, 2014, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by DaDaDan
I've been given the Federal regulation line specifically as it relates to in-bound international flights to the US. Not sure if it is still true as I haven't flown internationally in a while.
Ahh, that makes sense. Now that I think about it, most of the time I hear it is on a westbound TATL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.